Blowout Cards Forums
MEM MADNESS

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > MMA - Mixed Martial Arts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2013 UFC Finest Checklist is here!

The checklist for the upcoming 2013 Topps UFC Finest has been released.

2013 Topps UFC Finest Checklist, Set Info, Boxes, Reviews and More

Printable version here:
http://www.topps.com/media/pdf/Check...C_VERSION2.pdf

Top 5 reasons why I'm excited about this product:

5. UFC Valor Base and Auto sets

4. Grill Gears!

3. 1st Autos of Swanson, Zingano, Mousasi, Carmouche, Lamas, and more

2. Nasty Triple Autos (Jones/Silva/GSP, Rousey/Diaz Bros)

1......1/1 Superfractors!!!!

PC: OKC Thunder, UFC
trintdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Looks like I will be saving my money. No Lauzon, no Sale. Topps how do you include cardsof guys not even in the UFC, and not include one of the very few fighters, who actually fights, and not just go out there and point-fight their way to victory.

There is a reason Joe has 12 OTN awards. I would love to see a Superfractor for him, I have the 2012 Lauzon red 1/1, but Supers are alot better. Guess I have to wait until 2014, at least he is in 2013 KO.
twoten01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Dallas Cowboys RB Demarco Murray has an auto in this product in the Finest Fans subset.

More Ring Girls in this.
Finest Fans Autos has Chrissy Blair, Kenda Perez, and Vanessa Hanson
Kiss Card Autos has those three along with Arianny and Brittany as well.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

These cards look sweet. I'm excited for this.
CorneliusHelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

design is very nice , im looking forward to it !!!
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

I made a short review video of some of the highlights that caught my eye in the checklist here.

2013 Topps UFC Finest Checklist Review - YouTube

Last edited by trintdaddy; 09-09-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

One case down, and in the last box I hit the Luke Rockhold Grill gear redemption! Heck yeah!
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjs14 View Post
One case down, and in the last box I hit the Luke Rockhold Grill gear redemption! Heck yeah!
Congrats! I only ordered 1 box, so I probably won't get mine in until Monday.

However, I am ecstatic that I can finally get some Cat Zingano cards!

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathgate View Post
Congrats! I only ordered 1 box, so I probably won't get mine in until Monday.

However, I am ecstatic that I can finally get some Cat Zingano cards!
Good luck hope you pull some!
Old 09-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Another HUGE hit from case 2. Diaz/Diaz/Rousey Triple Autograph #d /5!
Old 09-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

From the looks of it this stuff was under-ordered. Seen a fair amount of Superfractors, just saw Chris Justice hit a 1/1 Valor Chris Weidman autograph, and other amazing hits that I thought would be tough pulls. I guess this might become the norm as UFC seems to have hit its saturation point. Still really nice cards as the parallels really stick out.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:04 AM   #12 (permalink)

cards look amazing , love the liz carmouche card. topps got a great pic of her taking the back of ronda . i honestly thought the fight was over ..... realy surprised to see her auto go for just 30 bucks ?
Old 09-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mma138 View Post
cards look amazing , love the liz carmouche card. topps got a great pic of her taking the back of ronda . i honestly thought the fight was over ..... realy surprised to see her auto go for just 30 bucks ?
Honestly I am suprised it is going for that much. Kids collect Rousey becuase of her looks, same with Arianny cards. Nerds buy them up thinking they will have a chance with either of them, same reason these idiots get tattoos of both of them. Same reason Mcmanns cards sell for so cheap. That and the fact once Ronda loses, Dana is going to dump WMMA so quickly.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoten01 View Post
Honestly I am suprised it is going for that much. Kids collect Rousey becuase of her looks, same with Arianny cards. Nerds buy them up thinking they will have a chance with either of them, same reason these idiots get tattoos of both of them. Same reason Mcmanns cards sell for so cheap. That and the fact once Ronda loses, Dana is going to dump WMMA so quickly.
And the ignorant award for September 12, 2013 goes to.....Twoten01! Congrats!

Obviously you don't watch the sport, and don't watch WMMA. Nearly every one of their fights are more exciting than the mens fights. It is going NOWHERE ever, I'll bet my bank account on that. People collect Rousey because she is as dominant as one can be in her sport. She wants to retire 10-0, and honestly its looking more and more like she will, she has already run through everyone the UFC has thrown at her. McMann's cards sell cheap because she has ONE fight in the UFC and it was on an UNDERCARD that most people prob didn't watch. Did she look solid? Sure, once she gets more exposure or beats a big name in the division maybe people will pay more attention to her.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:

Obviously you don't watch the sport, and don't watch WMMA. Nearly every one of their fights are more exciting than the mens fights. It is going NOWHERE ever, I'll bet my bank account on that. People collect Rousey because she is as dominant as one can be in her sport. She wants to retire 10-0, and honestly its looking more and more like she will, she has already run through everyone the UFC has thrown at her. McMann's cards sell cheap because she has ONE fight in the UFC and it was on an UNDERCARD that most people prob didn't watch. Did she look solid? Sure, once she gets more exposure or beats a big name in the division maybe people will pay more attention to her.
Yep, it's too bad she had to pull out of her fight with Sarah Kaufman, I was really looking forward to that one! (See signature below)

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:

Funny, so why do these same "collectors" by Arianny's cards, is it becuase she is so dominant. There is a reason that 95% of all talk of WMMA is about what they are wearing. Hell half of Ronda's comments are about her tits and cameltoe. Once someone comes along and beats Ronda, which will happen, Dana is going to drop all WMMA fights to just undercards. But I will agree Most WMMA are alot more exciting than most men's fights because they know they have to go out there and put on a show. or it will be back to Invicta or some hole in the wall in the midwest.

THE only reason we are seeing Women in the UFC is because Dana is making bank off of Ronda, he is nothing more than a snake oil salesman.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #17 (permalink)

No they collect Arianny because she is hot AND a staple of the sport. She has been there for over 10 years. Nothing more. Same reason people collect Benchwarmers, sports illustrated, playboy cards. You find a girl good looking, you can buy a certified auto or relic of her, why not? I see you bought two Joe Lauzon cards on eBay recently, you have feelings for him? You think collecting his cards means you might have a chance with him? Saying people collect a female fighter or ring girl because they think it will give them a shot with them is seriously the DUMBEST thing I have ever seen on blowout, and believe me, that's saying a lot. Where do you get your news that 95% of the talk is about what they are wearing? The Douchebag Daily? Superior Sex Weekly? Because every time I've read/watched reporting on WMMA 0% of the "talk" is about what they are wearing. It's about the awesome fights they have been putting on, and what a great addition to the UFC they have been. Last week there were 16 fights to get into the house on TUF, I would say 6 or 7 of the best fights involved the women.

Women's MMA is going NO WHERE. It will be in the UFC forever, and if you think different you know NOTHING about the sport, and on top of sounding ignorant you also come off a little sexist. Ronda is retiring when her contract is up, win or lose. WMMA in the UFC is here to stay.

Last edited by Bryanjs14; 09-12-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
No they collect Arianny because she is hot AND a staple of the sport. She has been there for over 10 years. Nothing more. Same reason people collect Benchwarmers, sports illustrated, playboy cards. You find a girl good looking, you can buy a certified auto or relic of her, why not? I see you bought two Joe Lauzon cards on eBay recently, you have feelings for him? You think collecting his cards means you might have a chance with him? Saying people collect a female fighter or ring girl because they think it will give them a shot with them is seriously the DUMBEST thing I have ever seen on blowout, and believe me, that's saying a lot. Where do you get your news that 95% of the talk is about what they are wearing? The Douchebag Daily? Superior Sex Weekly? Because every time I've read/watched reporting on WMMA 0% of the "talk" is about what they are wearing. It's about the awesome fights they have been putting on, and what a great addition to the UFC they have been. Last week there were 16 fights to get into the house on TUF, I would say 6 or 7 of the best fights involved the women.

Women's MMA is going NO WHERE. It will be in the UFC forever, and if you think different you know NOTHING about the sport, and on top of sounding ignorant you also come off a little sexist. Ronda is retiring when her contract is up, win or lose. WMMA in the UFC is here to stay.
I Buy Joe Lauzon cards, because he is a personal friend of mine, and I train with him, oops there goes your statement of me not watching MMA.(But thanks for taking time out of your busy day, to check me out, I am flattered.)

Exactly you further stated my point, people will only buy cards of female fighters that are good looking, you don't see that as a problem.(And I am the sexist one?) I would much rather watch Sara or Roxanne fight any time over Rousey, and so would most fans that watch MMA and not just the UFC. But lets be real would either of them two, even if they were as dominant as Ronda, get a movie deal, as a main character. Not a chance in hell( Well maybe Roxy in Kick Ass3). That is the flaw with WMMA, the brightest stars are the "prettiest" looking ones, and then when they get to the top of the sport, they bail to become an actress. Also when the best fighter in WMMA is not in the UFC we will never know how good Ronda really is.

And I get my news from mixedmartialarts, you know the site where most MMA fighters including all 4 we posted about, are members. And there are plenty of posts on there from female fighters who complain about the sexism of the sport, it is extremely rampant.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoten01 View Post
I Buy Joe Lauzon cards, because he is a personal friend of mine, and I train with him, oops there goes your statement of me not watching MMA.(But thanks for taking time out of your busy day, to check me out, I am flattered.)

Exactly you further stated my point, people will only buy cards of female fighters that are good looking, you don't see that as a problem.(And I am the sexist one?) I would much rather watch Sara or Roxanne fight any time over Rousey, and so would most fans that watch MMA and not just the UFC. But lets be real would either of them two, even if they were as dominant as Ronda, get a movie deal, as a main character. Not a chance in hell( Well maybe Roxy in Kick Ass3). That is the flaw with WMMA, the brightest stars are the "prettiest" looking ones, and then when they get to the top of the sport, they bail to become an actress. Also when the best fighter in WMMA is not in the UFC we will never know how good Ronda really is.

And I get my news from mixedmartialarts, you know the site where most MMA fighters including all 4 we posted about, are members. And there are plenty of posts on there from female fighters who complain about the sexism of the sport, it is extremely rampant.

People buy Rousey because she is DOMINANT. Because she is 7-0 and has the exposure that make people know her. She has 5 fights that all were very well viewed in Strikforce and the UFC. Sorry, but there ARE better looking female fighters than Ronda, so there goes YOUR theory. People have NO CLUE who Sara McMann is yet, at least the casual fans and collectors don't. If she ends up winning a couple fights in the UFC, maybe her cards will shoot up, the same way Ronda's have shot up from $50-$60 for her first Finest Auto all the way up to the $200+ you see on them now. She wasn't an overnight success, she had 3 fights in Strikeforce that led to her becoming a household name in the UFC. Sara has ONE UFC fight and an Invicta fight before that,

Roxanne is on a 5 fight losing streak (not including her fight to get into the house) just like Sara, if she is successful then maybe more people will take interest in her. WMMA is NEW to almost everyone, unless you are a hardcore fan most of the names in the sport are nobodies to you with the exception of Ronda and Miesha.

People buy cards of Ronda not because she is good looking, but because she is the biggest name in the sport right now, and until (if) she looses, she will continue to be the biggest name.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:58 AM   #20 (permalink)

people buy rousey cuz she is dominant and of course cuz shes hot ..........on another note , the cat zingano card...... terrible choice on that photo , shame on you topps
Old 09-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #21 (permalink)

Cards in all sports sell based on popularity as well as performance and a disproportionate blend... the market dictates such.

That's why the "Major Market" teams like the Yankees, Dodgers, Lakers, Celtics, Red Wings, Bruins, Cowboys, 49ers, etc. players typically command more attention and value to their smaller market counterpart players who have equal or lesser performance statistics.

It's why Danica Patrick outsells Jeff Gordon. Anna Kournikova and Maria Sharapova outsells Sarina and Venus Williams. Manon Rheume outsold her Hockey counterparts of her day.

As the marketing motto goes "Sex Sells", not to discredit or disparage the accomplishments of those who are glamorously beautiful and those who are not (yet are statistical monsters).

People buy what (and who) what they want. The majority of collectors are men, and men who enjoy beautiful women, 'thus it makes sense when there's an opportunity to cross interests from their hobby and their personal tastes to pursue that. Similarly in the "female card" market, African American and ethnic girls generally don't command high values nor attention, call it racist or preference, but the market dictates everything and it's quite soft if you're not thin, young and Caucasian generally for the cards.

Personality sells too, whether it was Muhammad Ali, Deion Sanders or outspoken athletes like Ronda Rousey. She has a perfect blend of ability, personality and beauty, so I doubt if she's destined for a dramatic downfall. The fact she has a safety net with her emerging acting career ("Expendables") would have me almost say "double down" on her as a solid investment more so than some of the current MMA "dime a dozen" not so unique male talent who may win, wear championship belts, but in 5-10 years will be amongst the forgotten masses. She's also "the First" champion so that's a legacy and claim to fame nobody can take from her. I believe the women's division will continue to thrive, even if the UFC didn't support it, it could continue elsewhere. It's a lot more interesting to watch than most of the Male undercard matches.

I'd say Miesha Tate is a solid investment as well since she's not favored to win, but has the ability, so if she does upset Ronda, she'll be the heir apparent to that throne as the spokesperson for the Women's division, as she has arguably greater aesthetic feminine beauty than Rousey. If she loses, already having 2 major and recent losses, there's a downside to her as an MMA athlete, but she's young and attractive enough to find a different spotlight to shine on her allowing her success elsewhere, or at least the opportunity that being young, cute and pretty affords certain people.

The other MMA Women counterparts are not so aesthetically "girly girl" attractive like Cyborg, Cat, and Kauffman. So, the pin-up appeal isn't driving demand for those ladies and it's an uphill battle as investments.

The "Ring Girls" are not more than "Benchwarmer" (the card company) type models with a fan base but as an aging commodity (their stock continues to plummet with time since all they have to go off of is their looks more so than a skill set), so I'd not think those are solid investments for the long term. For the short term, they're absolutely cardboard gold 'tho. There might be one diamond in the rough amongst the ring girls who emerges as a singer, actress or something beyond being a model, who that is, I don't know 'tho.

The Topps MMA cards are excellent value propositions considering most are numbered to 88 or 188 or under 500... with such massive popularity, the limited population of the limited edition cards should certainly eventually get recognized as scarce.

It wouldn't take much for a single collector to horde and corner the market on a specific low numbered card and control the marketplace I'd think.

I'm not sure why they have such odd numbering like 27, 88, 188, etc. instead of traditional numbers like 10, 25, 50, 100, etc.
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat Monsters View Post

I'm not sure why they have such odd numbering like 27, 88, 188, etc. instead of traditional numbers like 10, 25, 50, 100, etc.
Nice writeup. A lot of good points.

The reason parallels are #/8, 88, etc is because of the octagon ring in UFC- "8" sides.

-Ed
edhou1 is offline   Reply With Quote