Blowout Cards Forums
2014 holiday shipping promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > MMA - Mixed Martial Arts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 10:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to dreamerfan
Default Getting into MMA

I have been recently been getting out of the four major sports due to lack of interest or players that I collect retiring. I have been picking up some of the bigger names like Rousey, GSP, Lidell. I did also start to collect guys from or with Michigan ties such as Evans, Maynard and Cruickshank. Other than watching some of these fights are the last two any good? I have been picking up cool swatches and autos for dirt cheap.

I super collect Blair White-Larry Walker and any Former MSU players one of ones
dreamerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

If you are interested I have Daron Cruickshank's rookie superfractor auto from 2013 finest, FS. Pm me.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoten01 View Post
If you are interested I have Daron Cruickshank's rookie superfractor auto from 2013 finest, FS. Pm me.
if he doesnt maybe we can work a trade for it...sounds sweet...
jstasyk1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

any interest in mat cards?
im narrowing down mma to autos and worn pieces
Old 04-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to dreamerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksam View Post
any interest in mat cards?
im narrowing down mma to autos and worn pieces
I might depending on what you have.

I super collect Blair White-Larry Walker and any Former MSU players one of ones
dreamerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Mma lost all steam. Was a huge boom when it first came out, now even ppv events aren't selling out!
My opinion, it's a very bad time to invest in mma. Just thought I would let u know. That's why ur getting stuff Dirt Cheap! Even rousey stuff will be decreasing soon.

Topps watering down the market don't help either!!
ufcwecfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcwecfan View Post
Mma lost all steam. Was a huge boom when it first came out, now even ppv events aren't selling out!
My opinion, it's a very bad time to invest in mma. Just thought I would let u know. That's why ur getting stuff Dirt Cheap! Even rousey stuff will be decreasing soon.

Topps watering down the market don't help either!!
While I agree with most everything you said. I think now is a great time to buy. Cards usually go in cycles. They start out hot, and high in price, then Topps overproduces and cards drop like crazy(the stage we are in now) and then collectors buy them all up, and over time they start increasing again.

Also MMA is the one sport I believe could rival the worldwide popularity of the NBA. And look at the prices of some 90's bball inserts that use to sell for a few bucks, and now sell for 4 figures.

Not saying this will happen, but it is a possibility.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoten01 View Post
While I agree with most everything you said. I think now is a great time to buy. Cards usually go in cycles. They start out hot, and high in price, then Topps overproduces and cards drop like crazy(the stage we are in now) and then collectors buy them all up, and over time they start increasing again.

Also MMA is the one sport I believe could rival the worldwide popularity of the NBA. And look at the prices of some 90's bball inserts that use to sell for a few bucks, and now sell for 4 figures.

Not saying this will happen, but it is a possibility.
I agree with your statement about the market being up and down, however that's with RCs in football,b ball,bases & hockey. Ufc is completely Diffrent!
Don't get me wrong I got my fav fighters autos still. But gsp autos will never increase in value, or any other retired guys. I mean Johnny Hendricks got dealt a terrible decision!!! He beat the brakes off GSP who Hadent list in forever! His Rc autos only spiked $10. Every big fighter current or retired gets autos in all topps products! That's real bad! GSP must have 60+ diffrent Topps autos ad well as donruss and ud autos!!! I keep referring to GSP as he's easy to see the Huge ass drop out of MMA. He said I retire, next day his cards were worth 50% they had been the previous day.

The only UFC cards that will hold value are round 1, that's cuz the boxes were low in production!

It makes me sick to say this about MMA as I love the sport! But it's on it's way down fast!! No big name talent anyone wants to see anymore
ufcwecfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcwecfan View Post

It makes me sick to say this about MMA as I love the sport! But it's on it's way down fast!! No big name talent anyone wants to see anymore

I'm not meaning to sound rude but speak for yourself. There are plenty of big names that myself and others do enjoy watching. MMA is still catching on where I am from and more and more people spark up conversations about it with me lately. I believe it will be fine in the long run. Boxing has been talked about as a sport dying out for years yet it always will be here as well, MMA is no different.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Interesting talk so far, i think there has been an increase in the casual fan but those usually just catch the main card fights on the PPV and im not sure if they transition over to memorabilia. I agree with the legends losing (Silva) or retiring (GSP) and that Topps over produce the same thing (with topps relic shirts being the relics) has de valued a lot. With the main sports and a abundance/draft of new rookies each year they can support multiple releases.

In upcoming UFC i hope they greatly decrease production and add value (actual fight specific relics), no more sticker autos etc, will help the value over the long haul maybe one low-mid tier with lots of prospects and one high release each year... I think they took a great step with the sketch cards and grill gear but they have fumbled so far with not filling/not game worn mouth guards or some "questionable" sketches, they could do a simple thing of just getting these 1/1 pieces auto'd that would even help a lot. Good discussion so far.