Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > MMA - Mixed Martial Arts

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 05:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
dhcollecting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,682
Default The Official "I Can't Stand" Rhonda Rousey thread

I just need to vent how much I despise rhonda rousey for being unprofessional and just plain stupid!

Sounding like an idiot is common for many atheletes because they are jerks by nature but what really irked me was not shaking tate's hand after their second fight. Being a long time boxing fan I have seen fighters assault each other and say the most disrespectful things you could imagine, but in the end after a hard fought fight they show respect for each other!

So in conclusion rhonda might be the best thing for women's MMA rating wise but as far as bringing credibility to women fighters she is a complete joke because real fighters show more respect!

Your opinions?
__________________
Collecting Topps 60th Anniversary Autographs &
Dodger On Card Autographs
dhcollecting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Celina, OH
Posts: 154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhcollecting View Post
Being a long time boxing fan I have seen fighters assault each other and say the most disrespectful things you could imagine, but in the end after a hard fought fight they show respect for each other!
And a lot of times conflict in boxing is manufactured to sell fights. Ronda genuinely hates Miesha Tate, why would she show her respect?
wakigatame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
dhcollecting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakigatame View Post
And a lot of times conflict in boxing is manufactured to sell fights. Ronda genuinely hates Miesha Tate, why would she show her respect?
you can hate someone but you have to be professional and be respectful in the ring/cage. There is no place for childish attitudes like ronda's in a growing sport that hopes to become as mainstream as football.
__________________
Collecting Topps 60th Anniversary Autographs &
Dodger On Card Autographs
dhcollecting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Ty Hope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,952
Default

Let me tell you the truth about the UFC. If you aren't marketable, you get cut. Period.

Example: My friend Antonio Carvalho made it to the UFC. One of the absolute nicest guys in the world and would NEVER bash or disrespect an opponent. He 's the kind of guy who, post-fight, would ask his opponent if they wanted to get a beer. Anyway, he loses his first fight, wins his next two, and loses his fourth match. He gets cut. I am completely convinced it is because he didn't fit the trash-talking mold that you see so often. Great fighter, great guy, but they didn't see money in him.

Not saying I like trash-talking, etc., but it is what the UFC wants and encourages. All that twitter bashing you see? Manufactured or purposely over-dramatized. Sad state, but the truth. The more over the top or outrageous you are, the more Dana froths at the mouth.
Ty Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 327
Default

My opinion is if you are going to make a thread that you can't stand a person, it helps if you spell their name correctly...

Also if you are going to b*tch about the fact she didn't shake Tate's hand, bring it up when it happened, not 4 months after the fact.
bradjames12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
sjim8660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Hope View Post
Let me tell you the truth about the UFC. If you aren't marketable, you get cut. Period.

Example: My friend Antonio Carvalho made it to the UFC. One of the absolute nicest guys in the world and would NEVER bash or disrespect an opponent. He 's the kind of guy who, post-fight, would ask his opponent if they wanted to get a beer. Anyway, he loses his first fight, wins his next two, and loses his fourth match. He gets cut. I am completely convinced it is because he didn't fit the trash-talking mold that you see so often. Great fighter, great guy, but they didn't see money in him.

Not saying I like trash-talking, etc., but it is what the UFC wants and encourages. All that twitter bashing you see? Manufactured or purposely over-dramatized. Sad state, but the truth. The more over the top or outrageous you are, the more Dana froths at the mouth.
I agree with you, Dana White is a jerk in his own right. He is very greedy and wants people who will make him money, he can care less about a good fight. Thats why UFC NEVER does super fights with the exception of Penn and GSP, where Penn had to pack on weight. We would never see a Silva vs Jones or Silver vs GSP. Dana does not want one of the top fighters to loose credibility and PPV selling power. The women's division is no different, he will continue to push the champ and hope she doesn't pull a Kimbo Slice and loose to some no namer.
__________________
"To be the man you gotta beat the man"

http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/Sjim8660/library/?sort=3&page=0
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
dilandboogscard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 492
Default

I absoluetly disagree with the nice guy act ordeal. biggest example is Rich Franklin. I absolutely think Rich is the nicest guy in the MMA UFC world and he continues to do so.
__________________
Looking for anything Cincinnati (Reds, Bengals, Bearcats and Buckeyes and any local guys)

Proud member and worker on boxbusters.tv, come visit BoogsCards
dilandboogscard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 244
Default

that handshake stuff is such crap....Meisha KNEW ronda wouldnt shake her hand....she KNEW it would make her look like the good guy and turn ppl against Rousey....she probably had no intent on actually shaking her hand...but she knew by putting it out there she looks good and ronda bad...

she did it to gain fans and keep her position as marketable...

i GAINED respect for ronda after that....im sick of seeing all the "trash talk" and "hatred" just to end in hugs...cuz it is all fake...Diaz's, Chael, Rashad/JJ....its all fake as hell...Rousey is real in the fact that she was like "F you i hate you, im not shaking ur hand b*tch"
jstasyk1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Ty Hope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilandboogscard View Post
I absoluetly disagree with the nice guy act ordeal. biggest example is Rich Franklin. I absolutely think Rich is the nicest guy in the MMA UFC world and he continues to do so.
Sure, there are some guys here and there who are respectful. Most of them have proven track records though and are already established names. Fact is though, if you don't put asses in seats, you will eventually get cut. Look at guys like Shields and Okami.
Ty Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
DetectiveChrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,463
Default

Can MMA die already?

I'm sick of their verison of WWF Superstars every Friday or Saturday.
__________________
http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g398/smarra/

Incoming -
Outgoing -
DetectiveChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveChrome View Post
Can MMA die already?

I'm sick of their verison of WWF Superstars every Friday or Saturday.
Seriously? I mean you might actually have an argument here if WWE wasn't fake and scripted. But, don't let facts get in your way
bradjames12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
ejs23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,025
Default

i agree with the OP... Rousey is a great fighter but a bad, or at least immature, person.

i would call her the missing Diaz sister but even the Diaz brothers, despite all their pre-fight and mid-fight antics, are surprisingly respectful after the fight.

as for being marketable, plenty of the top fighters have been able to market themselves without having to hate their opponents and acting butt-hurt all the time. someone already mentioned Franklin.... Couture, Henderson, GSP, etc.

besides, does anyone really believe Rousey acts that way just to market herself? of course not... that's just who she is.

Carano was likeable so she was able to go do movies/tv... that's good marketing. will Rousey's bad attitude and general bitchiness help her after the UFC?
ejs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post
i agree with the OP... Rousey is a great fighter but a bad, or at least immature, person.

i would call her the missing Diaz sister but even the Diaz brothers, despite all their pre-fight and mid-fight antics, are surprisingly respectful after the fight.

as for being marketable, plenty of the top fighters have been able to market themselves without having to hate their opponents and acting butt-hurt all the time. someone already mentioned Franklin.... Couture, Henderson, GSP, etc.

besides, does anyone really believe Rousey acts that way just to market herself? of course not... that's just who she is.

Carano was likeable so she was able to go do movies/tv... that's good marketing. will Rousey's bad attitude and general bitchiness help her after the UFC?


you mean how Gina did FF6, Haywire and Ronda is lined up for FF7, EXP3, and Entourage...that bad attitude has given her way bigger roles than Gina has had...
jstasyk1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
ejs23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstasyk1121 View Post
you mean how Gina did FF6, Haywire and Ronda is lined up for FF7, EXP3, and Entourage...that bad attitude has given her way bigger roles than Gina has had...
we'll see if it lasts or even works at all. no doubt studios jumped at the chance to put another decent looking female MMA star on the screen. but Rousey quickly went from wildly popular to mildly hated since it all started. what they have now isn't what they started with.

that's one reason why she's so complimentary about Carano... she wants to latch on and ride her popularity in to the mainstream.

she can still turn it all around, but people are tiring of her. the UFC fanboys will buy into her as long as Dana White is pimping her out... but that only carries her so far.
ejs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
TheGame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 149
Default

I'm no fan of Rondas, but I do know a buddy who was at a hotel she stayed at. She stopped and signed autographs for fans 5 different times when she came out and got swarmed, smiling the whole time. Once she even walked in with her lunch and signed for everyone while her food sat on the ground.

From what I have heard, she's a character on TV, but not in person.
__________________
Willing to trade for Darren McFadden or Raiders memorabilia, and HoFers.
TheGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
JzWand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Burlington Ontario Canada
Posts: 650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Hope View Post
Let me tell you the truth about the UFC. If you aren't marketable, you get cut. Period.

Example: My friend Antonio Carvalho made it to the UFC. One of the absolute nicest guys in the world and would NEVER bash or disrespect an opponent. He 's the kind of guy who, post-fight, would ask his opponent if they wanted to get a beer. Anyway, he loses his first fight, wins his next two, and loses his fourth match. He gets cut. I am completely convinced it is because he didn't fit the trash-talking mold that you see so often. Great fighter, great guy, but they didn't see money in him.

Not saying I like trash-talking, etc., but it is what the UFC wants and encourages. All that twitter bashing you see? Manufactured or purposely over-dramatized. Sad state, but the truth. The more over the top or outrageous you are, the more Dana froths at the mouth.


Ty, you make some valid points.
But in regards to Carvalho, I dont want to sound harsh but they can sign a bunch of guys who can go 2-2 in the UFC. No reason to keep him around when hes not overly exciting.
Ive seen Carvalho fight in person here in Canada and the truth was, I was a bit underwhelmed by his performance.
He rode a guy (another former UFC vet) to a 3 round decision when his skillset kind of indicated he should have been able to nail down a stoppage win.
And this was in front of maybe 2K before he fought in the UFC.

Does the UFC show favoritsm? Yes
Do they always have the same standards for everyone? No

But besides being entertainment, they are a business.

Jake Shields, Jon Fitch, Yushin Okami are all top 10 fighters (or were) who were cut.
__________________
Incoming: nothing
JzWand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
JzWand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Burlington Ontario Canada
Posts: 650
Default

And yes I dislike Ronda. I think she acts like a tool on camera and I think her coach is a douche.
__________________
Incoming: nothing
JzWand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjim8660 View Post
I agree with you, Dana White is a jerk in his own right. He is very greedy and wants people who will make him money, he can care less about a good fight. Thats why UFC NEVER does super fights with the exception of Penn and GSP, where Penn had to pack on weight. We would never see a Silva vs Jones or Silver vs GSP. Dana does not want one of the top fighters to loose credibility and PPV selling power. The women's division is no different, he will continue to push the champ and hope she doesn't pull a Kimbo Slice and loose to some no namer.
I never understand why seemed so shocked that Dana and the UFC are in this business to make money. If you can't sell PPV events the company won't grow and fighters will start going elsewhere, or your company folds like a lot of other MMA Companies. Look at almost all the top selling PPVs of all time. Almost all of them involve main events between guys with bad blood who have been talking trash to each other.

Love him or hate him Dana has done more for MMA in the US than anyone else and its really not even close.
__________________
Looking for any and all Michael Clayton LCM cards
MC80_LCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JzWand View Post

Jake Shields, Jon Fitch, Yushin Okami are all top 10 fighters (or were) who were cut.
Honestly I'm glad the UFC cut all of these guys. They had all proved they were a notch or two below championship material and they were all incredibly boring to watch. Shields was making a ton of money each fight and he didn't sell fights. I'd rather them bring in someone new, at a 10th of the price, than pay Shields 100k to watch him lay on someone for 3 rounds.
__________________
Looking for any and all Michael Clayton LCM cards
MC80_LCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
ejs23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC80_LCM View Post

Love him or hate him Dana has done more for MMA in the US than anyone else and its really not even close.
that is absolutely true.

Dana White and the UFC took a sport that no one in the US wanted and created an industry... fighters, PPVs, reality tv, gyms, clothing, trading cards, etc.

i know a few people in Vegas who work in one of the Fertitta casinos and they say White is well liked there... apparently he's super friendly and tips well.

all that being said, the UFC's virtual monopoly could backfire on MMA... and maybe already has. it's become very homogenous. yes it's a business... they need to sell tickets, PPVs and merchandise. but it's also a sport that needs to promote top competitors. when they absorbed Pride it was great for the UFC but bad for MMA. there needs to be another legitimate promotion out there introducing new fighters and not just reality stars who fight.
ejs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:35 AM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bethalto, IL
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post
the UFC's virtual monopoly could backfire on MMA...
I wouldn't say it's a monopoly; the UFC has more competitors than the NFL, MLB, NHL, etc. It just happens to be the major league. Bellator & WSOF put on some decent shows, and I know I'll watch One FC when Ben Askren debuts, where Rich Franklin is headed with Dana's blessing.
__________________
I'm fdgowin all over the internet.

Last edited by fdgowin; 04-26-2014 at 06:37 AM.
fdgowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:25 AM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdgowin View Post
I wouldn't say it's a monopoly; the UFC has more competitors than the NFL, MLB, NHL, etc. It just happens to be the major league. Bellator & WSOF put on some decent shows, and I know I'll watch One FC when Ben Askren debuts, where Rich Franklin is headed with Dana's blessing.
Yup, not even close to a monopoly. Just that the UFC is the most popular. If anything the fans are the ones creating a monopoly. 99% of MMA fans, are really just UFC fans. Bellator, WSOF, etc, all have horrible #'s, for every tv event. I don't care if it is UFC or 2 guys fighting in a 500 seat gym, I love to watch it all.
__________________
Joe Lauzon(UFC) Supercollector! Always looking for any Lauzon 1/1's or printing plates. Finders fee if you help me find any.
twoten01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
free2131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 3,130
Send a message via Yahoo to free2131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjames12 View Post
Seriously? I mean you might actually have an argument here if WWE wasn't fake and scripted. But, don't let facts get in your way
UFC is just WWE without the scripted finishes.
__________________
"Beliefs, they're the bullets of the wicked." - Serj Tankian
Braves PC - http://s989.photobucket.com/albums/af13/free2131/Braves%20PC/
Cal Ripken PC - http://s989.photobucket.com/albums/af13/free2131/Ripken%20PC/
free2131 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
slugger82685's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 3,207
Send a message via AIM to slugger82685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2131 View Post
UFC is just WWE without the scripted finishes.
so much wrong with this comment
slugger82685 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
free2131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 3,130
Send a message via Yahoo to free2131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugger82685 View Post
so much wrong with this comment


VS



AND



VS



AND



VS



They are more alike than you would want to admit.
__________________
"Beliefs, they're the bullets of the wicked." - Serj Tankian
Braves PC - http://s989.photobucket.com/albums/af13/free2131/Braves%20PC/
Cal Ripken PC - http://s989.photobucket.com/albums/af13/free2131/Ripken%20PC/
free2131 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.