Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > MMA - Mixed Martial Arts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default UFC 172 Preview and Predictions

Hey guys, I wrote up this preview for those watching and following UFC 172. Obviously all opinions are mine and I am excited to see how it all plays out. Enjoy the fights.

UFC 172: Jones vs. Teixeira

Main Card:

Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira (Main Event)
The main event comes via light heavyweight matchup of Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira. What is there not to be said of Jon Jones? Recently pushed to his limits against Alexander Gustafsson, Jones boasts a wide repertoire of knees, elbows, kicks, and punches. Jones is known to have almost no downfall in his game, yet Gustafsson gave him a run for his money. Jones owns a 19-1 record with a UFC record of 13-1. This will mark his seventh title defense. Glover Teixeira is a dangerous man owning a record of 22-2 and a UFC record of 5-0. He is undefeated in almost a decade and holds an arsenal of dangerous punches. He is coming off a win in which he knocked out Ryan Bader. Glover looks for big punches to end the fight but he also takes a lot of hits as well. I believe Jon Jones will use this to his advantage and defeat him much easier then the Gustafsson fight. Glover doesn’t have the big name fights I would like to see and I believe the Gustafsson fight was a reality check for Jones. I believe Jones has stepped his camp up and is going to knockout Teixeira in the third round of the fight.

Phil Davis vs. Anthony Johnson (Co-main Event)
The co-main event, like the main event, is a light heavyweight fight. Phil “Mr. Wonderful” Davis, comes into the fight riding a three fight win streak. Overall he is 12-1, with an 8-1 UFC record. Davis has incredible strike defense and has yet to be knocked out in any of his fights. He is an accomplished wrestler; in fact he was a national champion at Penn State. The ground is where Davis wants this fight to take place as he is facing a true striking monster in Anthony Johnson. Johnson holds a 16-4 record with a UFC record of 7-4. This is Johnson’s UFC return, last fighting for the UFC in January, 2012. During his UFC hiatus he went on a 6 fight win streak in other promotions. Johnson has true brute force, finishing 11 of his 16 wins via knockout. It is also very exciting to see Johnson at a comfortable weight and not struggling to cut it before his fights. In my opinion this fight has the potential to bring out the negative jeering from the fans. Davis is known for going the distance and will look to avoid the stand up game of Johnson. It would not be surprising though to see Johnson earn himself a knockout if Davis isn’t careful. I like what I see in Johnson’s improvements and I give him a second round TKO over “Mr. Wonderful.”

Luke Rockhold vs. Tim Boetsch
Up next is a fight in the middleweight division. Rockhold is a former strike force champion but many relate him to his UFC debut loss to Vitor Belfort via a vicious spinning heel kick. Despite his UFC debut loss Rockhold went on to defeat Constantinos Philippou in his second fight, via liver kicks in the first round. He earned the knockout of the night for this fight. He owns an 11-2 record, including a 9-0 record in strike force, and a 1-1 record in the UFC. Tim Boetsch comes into the fight with a 17-6 record, and an 8-5 UFC record. He is coming off a controversial win against CB Dollaway, and prior to that he has two losses against Mark Munoz and Constantinos Philippou. Rockhold comes in as a highly touted fighter and Boetsch as a fighter on the decline. I believe Boetsch is in for a long night, and due to Rockhold’s better overall skills, I give Rockhold the win via unanimous decision.

Jim Miller vs. Yancy Medeiros
Next up on the main card is the lightweights. Jim Miller, the New Jersey Native, is coming off a win via first round submission by arm bar while fighting Fabricio Camoes. Miller holds a 23-4(1) record with a UFC record of 12-3(1). Miller is currently ranked ninth and is a talented grappler with a knack for submissions. He was expecting to fight Bobby Green but a late injury saw Yancy Medeiros step in. Medeiros holds a 9-1(1) record with a UFC record of 0-1(1). His biggest asset is his striking but he will need to learn how to adapt to Miller’s incredible ground game. It will be the biggest fight of his young career and appears to be a big mismatch yet you never know what can happen in the UFC. Due to Miller’s experience I believe Yancy doesn’t have much Miller hasn’t seen. I give Miller the win via first round submission.

Max Holloway vs. Andre Fili
The featherweights lead off the main card. Holloway comes into the fight with a more impressive resume then Fili, Holloway has fought some big names; Poirier, Bermudez, and McGregor to name a few. Though he has not won these fights, he does have more experience with big names. Holloway is coming off a second round TKO against Will Chope in January, in total he has seven UFC fights coming into UFC 172 and holds a UFC record of 4-3 (8-3 overall record). Fili comes in with little known about his skills. What is known is that he won his UFC debut, which was on short notice, against Jeremy Larsen by way of second round TKO. He holds a total professional record of 13-1, 7 of the wins coming via knockout. Fili fights by way of Team Alpha Male which is known to produce many high level fighters, thus it is expected that Fili is a strong competitor. I am a strong believer that Team Alpha Male is one of the best camps in the country and I like Fili’s power, thus I give Fili the win via unanimous decision.

Preliminary Card

Joseph Benavidez vs. Tim Elliott
The main fight of the prelims comes by way of the flyweight division, as #2 Joseph Benavidez takes on #8 Tim Elliott. Benavidez, the Team Alpha Male fighter, holds a 19-4 record (6-2 in the UFC). He is coming off a loss to Demetrious Johnson, his first knockout loss of his career. The fight was for the UFC Flyweight Championship. Tim Elliott is 2-2 in the UFC (10-4-1 overall) and is known for his reckless style of fighting. Elliot is a great wrestler, as well as striker, yet his main strength is his “iron jaw.” Elliot’s reckless fighting style will make this an interesting fight but it is believed Benavidez is on another level of fighting. I do not believe Elliott will succeed in taking down Benavidez, but Elliot is always game to go the distance in fights. In the end I have Benavidez winning via unanimous decision.

Takanori Gomi vs. Isaac Vallie-Flagg
The next fight is a lightweight matchup, seeing Takanori Gomi take on Isaac Vallie-Flagg. Gomi holds a 3-4 UFC record yet is a legend of Pride and Japanese MMA (34-9 overall record). Vallie-Flagg is a brawler and looks to wear down opponents while keeping the fight standing. He holds a UFC record of 1-1 (14-4-1 overall), and fights out of Greg Jackson’s camp. Gomi is a power puncher so this may pose a problem for Vallie-Flagg who most likely will engage in a brawl with Gomi. Vallie-Flagg does not hold any skills that Gomi hasn’t experienced in his storied career. Thus, taking down Gomi will most likely not occur and the fight will be primarily striking. Thus, Gomi wins via knockout in the second round.

Bethe Correira vs. Jessamyn Duke
This fight will see two undefeated female bantamweight fighters fight it out to see who remains undefeated; Bethe Correira vs. Jessamyn Duke. Duke is nearly 6 feet tall and is primarily a striker. She recently edged Peggy Morgan in her UFC debut and holds an overall record of 3-0. Correira is much shorter (7 Inches shorter) and is a striker as well, yet she does have the edge in ground game. She will look to close in on Duke and hold the fight on the ground; Correira holds a record of 7-0. This fight has the potential to be a great fight and can see some great blows exchanged. Correira has fought some tough opponents and I do not believe the height will factor in thus I give the fight to Correira via split decision.

Danny Castillo vs. Charlie Brenneman
This fight is out of the lightweight division. Danny Castillo is set to take on Charlie Brenneman. Castillo holds a UFC record of 6-3 and is a member of Team Alpha Male. He is first and foremost a wrestler but, under Team Alpha Male, has significantly improved his striking. Brenneman started his UFC career 4-4 before leaving and dropping from welterweight. His UFC return saw him choked out and now this is a fight that may decide his career in the UFC. Due to Castillo’s top notch camp and his skill set, I give him the win via TKO in the second or third round.

Chris Beal vs. Patrick Williams
The first prelim fight scheduled to take place on Fight Pass comes by way of the bantamweight division. Chris Beal (TUF 18) makes his UFC debut against Patrick Williams (also making his UFC debut). Beal holds a professional record of 8-0, and Williams holds a professional record of 7-3. Beal specializes in boxing, fighting out of the Knuckleheadz Boxing Gym, his game is described as pretty much one dimensional. When on the ground he looks to stand up and get back to boxing, he will attempt submissions but he is much more comfortable standing up. Williams is a wrestler and was a member of the ASU (Arizona State University) wrestling team that boasted MMA talents Cain Velasquez, Ryan Bader, and C.B. Dollaway. Despite his wrestling background he loves to stand and trade blows, yet in this fight he will look to control the ground. Beal has holes in his game yet has more experience coming by way of the Ultimate Fighter and he is younger as well, which is why I give him the Win via unanimous decision.