Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > MMA - Mixed Martial Arts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 02:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default thunda99's UFC 172 breakdown round by round, fight by fight

Wrote this live so I apologize for any grammar errors, for those who didn't watch the fight here is my (non-professional) breakdown of the fights tonight. Thanks for reading

UFC 172: Jones vs. Teixeira (Results)

Main Card:
Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira (Main Event)

Round One- Both fighters come out swinging, the pace is going to be fast for this one. Jones had Gloverís arm standing and seemed to hurt it a bit. Glover is throwing some wild bombs without much success. Jones catches Gloverís leg and takes him down but Glover gets up quickly. Jones gets a spinning body kick but Glover doesnít seem bothered. Striking was balanced, kicks were dominated by Jones, and Jones landed the only takedown. Jones wins the round but Glover was not outmatched.

Round Two- Jones starts off the round with a takedown but is stuffed. Glover continues to throw bombs and Jones easily slips them. Jones gets called a second time for leaning with open fingers into Gloverís eyes. Glover lands three good punches in a row and seems to hurt Jones shortly. Jones lands a good head kick, straight punch, elbow combo. He follows it up with three elbows while Glover is against the fence. Jones stuffs a Glover takedown attempt. Another even round but I have to give it to Jones due to the combos he put together. Glover in the corner appears to have a hurt shoulder possibly popped out due to a standing arm bar.

Round Three-Jones continues to use his repertoire of knees, elbows, and striking to start the third round. Jones knocks out Gloverís mouthpiece with an uppercut but nothing comes from it. Jones gets hurt with an uppercut and vacates the clinch. Jones brings it in to the clinch again where he unleashes knees and elbows. Glover appears to have a bloody nose midway through round 3. The fight stays against the fence until about a minute left. Gloverís whole face is cut pretty badly. With 30 seconds left Jones lands devastating uppercuts and Glover doesnít have an answer. Glover holds his own but I give Jones the round again, the most dominating round thus far.

Round Four-Jones continues to slip and duck all the kicks and punches thrown at him. He continues to land the elbows, his strike of choice thus far. Glover loses his mouthpiece again with a hard jab and a minor delay occurs. Jones lands a good spinning elbow and Gloverís face is a bloody mess. Jones unleashes a crazy amount of elbows against the fence and Glover has no defense for it. Jones takes down Glover to end the fight. The entire round was all Jones, Glover got off minimal strikes that round. Going into the fifth Glover needs a knockout/submission to win.

Round Five- The round starts with a show of respect from both fighters. Jones gets a quick takedown but Glover stands up fast. Jones comes right back with the elbows, his key to victory this fight. Glover is still showing fight, primarily through his uppercut. The two are exchanging like crazy and Glover loses his mouthpiece again to stop the exchange. Jones continues to dominate with an uppercut by Glover mixed in every now and again. Gloverís legs are starting to give out with 2 minutes left in the last round. Glover never lost his energy and finished with some punches but Jones easily won every round. Jones looked as good as ever.

Result- Jon Jones wins via unanimous decision.

Phil Davis vs. Anthony Johnson (Co-main Event)
Round One-The first minute is a lot of feeling out and not much action. Johnson lands the first significant punch via uppercut and then stuffs a takedown attempt. Johnson lands a second uppercut but doesnít get anything from it, Davis isnít doing much. Johnson is looking like a different fighter and is extremely relaxed. Johnson hurts Davis and pounces on him, hitting him with some great shots and cuts Davisís eye. Johnson stuffed a total of three takedown attempts, landed more significant strikes and kicks. Johnson totally dominated the first round and doesnít seem winded at all. His conditioning has stepped up big time. First round is Johnsonís easily.

Round Two- Johnson stuffs another take down and continues to dominate in the striking, yet not at the same pace as the first round. Davis starts to get some strikes off but Johnson lands a good strike to silence the attack. Johnson keeps countering with a strong uppercut and body kicks and is toying with Davis. Johnson is 5/5 in his take down defense and is shutting down the Davis game plan. Second round goes to Johnson again.

Round Three- Johnson stuffs another takedown attempt and lands a beautiful right to get Davis off of him. Davis finally lands a nice shot but still canít get the takedown. Johnson gets a takedown but Davis gets up fast. Another takedown is stuffed by Johnson making it 8/8. Fight goes the distance; Johnson dominated the entire fight through kicks, striking, and defense. Johnson totally dominated Davis; I have never seen Davis dominated like that. Johnson takes all three rounds.

Result- Johnson wins via unanimous decision

Luke Rockhold vs. Tim Boetsch

Round One-Rockhold reverses a takedown by Boetsch and Rockhold is quickly working the leg for a submission, he also has the triangle in on his neck early. Rockhold thus far is relentless on the top and is going for the arm. Rockhold submits him via Kimura

Result- Luke Rockhold wins via submission (Kimura) at 2:08 into the first round.

Jim Miller vs. Yancy Medeiros

Round One- At 2:35 Miller hurt Yancy with a body shot and progresses towards him against the cage. Miller took him down and proceeded to put him in a guillotine. Yancy refused to tap and eventually went out cold and Mario Yamasaki ended it.

Result- Jim Miller wins via submission (guillotine) at 3:19 of the first round

Max Holloway vs. Andre Fili

Round One- Fili comes out first as the aggressor but needs to be careful due to Hollowayís counter punching. Fili is throwing more kicks then Holloway; they sound nice but donít have much effect. Holloway was rocked slightly by a left but couldnít close in. Fili got tagged with a right but not much happened. Fili gets the first take down but Holloway quickly got up. The end of the round was mostly in the clinch both with equal striking. I give Fili the round, but not by much.

Round Two-Fili eats two punches and a spinning back kick. Holloway tries to close in but Fili survives. Holloway catches a Fili kick and takes him down but Fili gets up fast. Fili is gassed and is falling behind this round. Fili gets an important take down and tries to gain top guard. The ref stands them up after about a minute on the ground in which Fili was on top the whole time. Round ends with little action. Very close round, Fili had the takedown but Holloway had the kick that was the biggest strike of the fight thus war. I have to give this round to Holloway.

Round Three- Round starts with a hug, both fighters truly respect each other. Fili attempts two takedowns but is stuffed on both attempts. He finally lands a good takedown and is going to try to stay on top of Holloway to get this round. Holloway stands up after about 15 seconds. Holloway lands a significant right hand at 2:30. Holloway lands significant strikes against the fence and gets Fili down; Holloway successfully gets the guillotine and submits Fili.

Result- Holloway wins via submission (guillotine) at 3:39 of the third round.

Preliminary Card

Joseph Benavidez vs. Tim Elliott

Round One- Elliot comes running at Benavidez to start off the fight, not your typical start. Elliot is sporting his normal hands down defense, yet lands the first takedown a minute in. Elliot is operating at a crazy fast speed right now, he has Benavidez in a crucifix and he canít work his way out, Elliot eventually stands up and is in the top guard. Both stand up at 3:10. Elliot gets the second takedown but it is quickly reversed by Benavidez. Benavidez has control of Elliotís neck but isnít having much success coming from it. Benavidez gets to top guard with the neck and had control of Elliotís arms thus Elliot had to tap with his feet. First round guillotine for Elliot

Result- First round submission (guillotine) for Elliot.

Takanori Gomi vs. Isaac Vallie-Flagg
Round One-Isaac has come out throwing bombs. Gomi has eaten a few but has returned almost an equal amount. Isaac tripped and Gomi controlled the top after the mishap until the last minute of the fight. Gomi landed two good kicks to end the round and finished with some good significant strikes. Though the striking was basically equal I give the round to Gomi due to his control on the ground for a decent amount of time.

Round Two-Gomi lands the first big punch of the second round but Isaac ate it well and gave a smile and thumbs up to Gomi. Gomi seems very winded, probably due to his excessive throwing of power punches. Isaac gets hurt with a body shot and Gomi tries to close in but couldnít finish. Gomi continues to eat big punches while being winded. Isaacís eye is almost completely swollen and Gomi finished with a huge punch to end the round. Round goes to Gomi due to his striking dominance.

Round Three- Isaac gets Gomi down with a quick shot and lands multiple head shots while he is down, Gomi gets up after about 15 seconds and the two continue to clinch on the fence. With half the round left both fighters start swinging at center octagon for about 15 seconds. Strikes landed thus far are pretty similar so both fighters sense the closeness of the fight. Isaacís face is completely busted open and Gomi even asks for time for them to check his face but it goes unnoticed. Isaac continues to swing back despite his obvious injuries. Isaac gets a takedown after a 30 second stint of clinching. Gomi ends the fight on top just holding on, clearly winded. I give the fight to Gomi.

Result- Gomi wins via unanimous decision.

Bethe Correira vs. Jessamyn Duke

Round One-Correira dominated the round with hard leg kicks, quickly bruising the inner leg of Duke. I believe Correira landed more strikes and more power punches. The height advantage doesnít seem to be bothering Correira. I give the round to Correira

Round Two- Duke landed the first takedown at 3:35 of the second round but Correira quickly transitioned to the top position. Correira blocked a guillotine attempt; she appears to be bleeding from her nose as well. Duke executed the second takedown which was a beautiful rolling takedown. Correira quickly stands up; Duke struggles keeping the top position. Despite the two takedowns, I give the round to Correira due to the significant amount of head strikes and power kicks.

Round Three-Correira dominated the first 3 minutes with leg kicks and significant strikes. Duke got another takedown but it was quickly reversed due to her lack to dominate the top position. Duke while on the bottom had Correira tied up well but couldnít achieve anything from it. Correira dominated the entire match with significant strikes and heavy leg kicks. Duke had all the takedowns but could not get anything from it.

Result- Correira wins the fight via unanimous decision.

Danny Castillo vs. Charlie Brenneman

Round One- Castillo comes out with strong leg kicks, and Brenneman throws a few as well. Brenneman gets the first takedown, and controlled the ground for about a minute and a half. Castillo reverses and has the back of Brenneman standing, eventually being stuffed in a takedown attempt. Castillo lands a good jab briefly knocking down Brenneman. Brenneman gets his second takedown with 45 seconds left. With 10 seconds left Castillo got a chokehold. Pretty even first round, Brenneman may have taken it.

Round Two- Castillo throws a lunging/ducking overhand right and completely knocks out Brenneman. Castillo lands a one punch knockout to end the fight 21 seconds into the second round.

Result- Lunging/ducking overhand right for a second round knockout win for Castillo

Chris Beal vs. Patrick Williams

Round One-Williams comes out with strong leg kicks but quickly lands a kick in the nuts delaying the fight. Beal starts off wild but is fast in his movements. Williams has great lateral movement early on. Williams gets the first take down but Beal stands up fast. Beal lands a great leg kick and goes for a second one that Williams takes him down on. Beal just has such quick hands that defense isnít easy for Williams; this also has slowed down his pace. Williams gets tagged with 20 seconds left and starts to run around the octagon avoiding Beal. Beal wins the first round easily.

Round Two-Beal again leads the charge with significant strikes. Williams is totally beat at this point. Flying knee to the head ends the fight mid second round.

Result- Chris Beal wins via flying knee knockout in the second round.

Thunda99ís Picks of the Night

Fight of the Night: Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira

Knockout of the Night: Danny Castillo

Submission of the Night: Jim Miller

Top 3 Performances of the Night:

1) My stand out fighter of the night was Anthony Johnson. Davis came in with elite wrestling and was stuffed on every takedown attempt (8/8). Johnson dominated with strikes, kicks, and defense. He is finally fighting at the weight he needs to be at, do not be surprised to eventually see Johnson get a title shot.

2) Chris Beal makes his octagon debut felt around the world with a flying knee to the head. Beal showed fast hands and feet and a great presence in the octagon. He had the poise of a veteran and landed a devastating flying knee to win.

3) Jon Jones has to be on the list due to the dominating performance. I have never seen so many devastating elbows thrown in one fight; he was simply toying with Glover. Glover also landed some power punches and Jones showed an iron jaw and truly ate them all. Jones looked like he stepped up his game and showed why he is the best fighter around.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to slugger82685

Jones is a very creative fighter, he will mix things up a thousand different ways to keep opponents off their feet, could be the reigning champ for a while....will have to see a rematch with Gustafsson to know if Jones can be beaten right now in his prime.

Always enjoy a Miller fight, would really like to see a Miller vs. Cerrone matchup. both are fighting really well right now
slugger82685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've been a Jon Jones fan since his first fight in the UFC when he threw Stephan Bonnar around like a ragdoll, and haven't missed a fight since. He really took it to Texiera and beat him at his own game. I also loved seeing Anthony Johnson beat up Phil Davis because he's been running his mouth alot lately. I can't wait to see Chris "Real" Beal fight again, because he put on a very entertaining fight, and that flying knee was just ridiculous.

http://s1344.photobucket.com/user/jbrandonw/library/?sort=3&page=1
jbrandonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like a great night of fights, thanks for the breakdown
No 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

My ideal matchup for Jones would be as followed:

Assuming Cormier wins his fight against Henderson, you then have Johnson vs. Cormier. Winner of that gets Gustafsson, winner of that gets Jones. It will probably and almost 99% go straight to Gustafsson because that is the rematch everyone wants to see. I do not see Gustafsson beating Jones though after the performance last night. Johnson on the other hand is a special one to me, I have that gut feeling that he can give Jones a good run. Realistically Jones will be champ for some time, he may be the type of guy that leaves the UFC soon (3-5 years is my guess) while still on top.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

I watched it Live in Baltimore last night. The crowd pop from the first 2 KOs was intense as hell. The place was going absolutely crazy. I was really happy to see Jones handle Glover rather easily and look good doing it, but the haters will have something to say I'm sure.
gamer4l1fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
MLH

My brother in law wrestled with Boetsch in h.s., met him a few times, he seems like a great dude. You guys think he's done?
MLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH View Post
My brother in law wrestled with Boetsch in h.s., met him a few times, he seems like a great dude. You guys think he's done?

It is a possibility but I believe he will fight again. Seems like the type of guy who would want to go out with a win
Old 04-27-2014, 11:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think he may not be done fighting, but he had his best chance at working his way into the title picture after the Lombard fight and squandered it. He might be done with the UFC maybe if he suffers another loss after this one. I'm anxious now to see how long it's going to be before we have Bones vs Gus 2 finalized and a fight date announced.
gamer4l1fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Bones vs Gus 2 is going to be a good one. Again though, I do not see Jones losing or making it as close as last time
Old 04-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunda99 View Post
My ideal matchup for Jones would be as followed:

Assuming Cormier wins his fight against Henderson, you then have Johnson vs. Cormier. Winner of that gets Gustafsson, winner of that gets Jones. It will probably and almost 99% go straight to Gustafsson because that is the rematch everyone wants to see. I do not see Gustafsson beating Jones though after the performance last night. Johnson on the other hand is a special one to me, I have that gut feeling that he can give Jones a good run. Realistically Jones will be champ for some time, he may be the type of guy that leaves the UFC soon (3-5 years is my guess) while still on top.

Dana already said Alexander gets next shot and winner of Henderson v. Cormier is after that. I actually think what we saw happen to Glover will happen to Cormier. Pure domination.

I actually think if Rumble gets some more technique he could be an interesting matchup.

Always buying Highend Items: PhotoBucket:
http://s1176.beta.photobucket.com/user/PACARDS/library/
Prospectorsadvantage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospectorsadvantage View Post
Dana already said Alexander gets next shot and winner of Henderson v. Cormier is after that. I actually think what we saw happen to Glover will happen to Cormier. Pure domination.

I actually think if Rumble gets some more technique he could be an interesting matchup.

Yes I know I was just saying what I would like to see. Cormier has been begging for his shot so I would like to see him get it, and get beat just so that ends. I think Cormier wouldn't last 5 round with Jones. Rumble even knows he is not ready for the title. Give him some more good camps and training, and he may be a great challenger.