Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > MMA - Mixed Martial Arts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 12:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2014 UFC Knockout Releases This Friday, Anyone Care?

So the UFC high-end product comes out this week and I have seen little to no excitement around this release. I'm in that boat too. Some of the bigger names you could rely on are either flooded in the market (Jon Jones) or aren't currently fighting (GSP, Anderson Silva). Is UFC a thing of the past in terms of cards or is it equal to last year's football rookie class? I'd like to try a box but I've got my eye on that new Star Wars set that came out this week.
Brobocop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Not me... I gave up on Topps UFC when they stopped sending out my redemptions from years ago. Plus, it's like 98% sticker autos that all look the same now.
Yaga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

I used to jump all over a new UFC release. Now I'm hesitant to even buy a single box. The market is flooded. You can buy a Jones, Gsp and a Silva auto for equal to or less than the cost of a single box. "Prospects" aren't what they used to be, I guess Rory Macdonald is a big hit? Haven't looked lately to tell you the truth. It was really cool a few years ago chasing the TUF fighters as the season was airing. Some guys only autos were in the set.

Maybe I'll buy a box? Maybe save my $ for WWE chrome.....
freezerburn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

i just listed about 25 or so cards on eBay if anyone wants to see what some of the hits look like. I always love this release the most, and this year isn't any different. Bloodlines doesn't even come close to the quality of Knockout
Bryanjs14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

couldnt be more watered down if they tried...like above stated...Jones/GSP/Silva arent really anything....that would be like pulling a Trout/Miggy/Kershaw or something in baseball....or Abreu/K.Bryant in the prospect realm...and not making money...

u can get almost any Jones auto ever for like $75 or less...i mean even ruby /8 autos of him dont hit triple digits sometimes...lol...its horrible...Ronda is the only Auto it seems that hasnt gotten completely useless...but that will change with like 2 more sets of 1000 of her autos...
jstasyk1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

not realy , they need to cut it down to just 2 releases a year. with one of them being chrome .
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Only reason I go after knockout is the Fistographs. Have hit 2 in the past 2 years so im going to keep going till I dont get one
jbittma1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

The fistographs and the inscriptions this year are def the highlight of the release
Old 05-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

too many sticker autos and redemption. plus, like everyone else said, market it saturated with the same autos every release.

only thing that could save them is to get more legends into the product.
ejs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post
too many sticker autos and redemption. plus, like everyone else said, market it saturated with the same autos every release.

not enough "legends" though...only 20yrs old as a sport....and idk about everyone but i dont care if i get a D.Severn auto or a T.Abbott auto....those if anything would be less desirable to me than a current guy who can atleast get better....and KO10 had all the old guys in it...

i dont know what they can do really...seems to get worse set after set...u just see another couple hundred autos of the same fighters...with the same 1clr relics and mats....
Old 05-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

This is the best of all the products they have. I did two boxes today. I should've stopped after the first: GSP Auto /8, Rousey Relic AUto /50, Faber/Machida/A. Silva/Bisping/Sonnen/Mousasi Triple Threads Booklet /27.

The only real change is the Triple Threads look like the football did this year with gold foil and no hologram.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm only interested in it because it has a Barnett autograph. Other than that, I really don't care about Topps UFC at all.
wakigatame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post

There is an entire on card autograph set in this release, plus inscriptions and @utographs

And in 14 boxes I didn't pull a single redemption.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Like a sucker that I am I had to try one box today. Got lucky to hit a fist-ograph of Eddie Wineland to start. That was just the tip of the iceberg. Amongst other hits I got an Anthony Pettis base printing plate, a jumbo mat relic /8 of Anderson Silva, a triple threads relic /36 of Anderson Silva, a triple threads relic /18 of Lyoto Machida, and a dual autograph /10 of Chris Weidman and Anderson Silva. I think I might call it a day on this product, don't see how I can do better than that.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:34 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstasyk1121 View Post
not enough "legends" though...only 20yrs old as a sport....and idk about everyone but i dont care if i get a D.Severn auto or a T.Abbott auto....those if anything would be less desirable to me than a current guy who can at least get better....and KO10 had all the old guys in it...

i dont know what they can do really...seems to get worse set after set...u just see another couple hundred autos of the same fighters...with the same 1clr relics and mats....
i think i differ from many collectors on this. i'd much prefer either of those guys to an Erik Perez auto.

as for legends, the UFC may not have a long history but there are some guys they could dig up to qualify.... Gracie, Shamrock, Frye, Rutten, Leopoldo... you mentioned Abbott and Severn... i think Coleman might be in it already... more guys like Hughes, Liddell, Couture, Henderson, Jackson, Mir, Sylvia... forgotten fighters like Lesnar, Carano, Slice, Trigg, Newton, Miletich... maybe a subset of autos of UFC 1 or the first few UFC's.

and it would be cool if they could find a way to squeeze in a few non-UFC fighters... though i expect the UFC would not allow it.

i don't know, just something to mix it up. i'd take any of those over an auto of a ring girl.
ejs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

Pulled a Velasquez Auto Belt /8, Edgar auto /25, Mighty Mouse Triple THreads auto /18 and Barnett Twitter Auto /25 from 2 boxes. No fistograph but from who I have seen on it so far im not impressed. I think its time to call it a day and wait for UFC Champions to come out (This is the one everyone is talking about with legends, only past and current champions are in it from what I have read)
jbittma1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:05 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbittma1 View Post
Pulled a Velasquez Auto Belt /8, Edgar auto /25, Mighty Mouse Triple THreads auto /18 and Barnett Twitter Auto /25 from 2 boxes. No fistograph but from who I have seen on it so far im not impressed. I think its time to call it a day and wait for UFC Champions to come out (This is the one everyone is talking about with legends, only past and current champions are in it from what I have read)
Champions, will have past, and current champions, and future contenders. which means it will have the same guys that are in every set. It is a 200 set checklist, there will be plenty of filler cards. Lets just hope the auto checklist, is only top tier fighters. But for $75 a box, I doubt that. As long as joe Lauzon is in it, I will be happy.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

Seems like this one is possibly headed up. I saw Blowout took it off their site and breaks seem to be containing plenty of low numbered stuff. I opened another box and got a Stipe Miocic base mat parallel /1, a legends booklet (Gracie, Bonnard, Severn, Hughes, Coleman, and Liddell) to /27, Michael Bisping base red /8, a Johny Hendricks base auto to /125, and a Cat Zingano base auto to /99. I guess it will all depend on how sales are though before declaring the product a winner. But it doesn't look like a whole lot has been ordered or busted up to this point.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

MMA cards are dead to me. I'm more into going to events and getting IP autos.
Ty Hope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:45 AM   #20 (permalink)

Well after seeing some of my own cards complete combined with other final sales on eBay, I'd say this product is not doing well in terms of resale value.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:08 AM   #21 (permalink)

exactly....the cards look cool...like the designs....but i saw an Anderson Silva Ruby auto/relic /8 sell for $50....lol....its over...there is such a small % of cards you can hit to even be a $100 card....that Silva is most like considered a case hit or chances are its the best card in a case atleast....$50
Old 05-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #22 (permalink)

With every UFC release, singles just get cheaper and cheaper. I gave up awhile back because with every new release, I saw my collection losing more and more value. And it will just continue to go down and down and down...
Yaga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:02 PM   #23 (permalink)

Yeah I was a bit surprised that I only got $99 for my Anderson Silva/Chris Weidman dual autograph /10. I remember when Moment of Truth came out, I got $300 for a Jon Jones/Anderson Silva dual autograph but that was a redemption card. I'm with you both, it seems the gravy train has left the station on UFC. Beautiful cards, but there is zero incentive for breakers anymore.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #24 (permalink)

even for casual...i dont buy much at all...but then if you do want to go back and sell some stuff basically any regular relic/mat are worth like $1-2 maybe $3-4 if its GSP,JJ, AS and maybe lil more for RR....autos are the same...you can get a top 5 fighter in his weight class and its a $4 auto....when KO is $140/box and you could hit a Silva/8 auto/relic, a jones base auto, all champs for ur relics...a 1st auto of someone and the last auto be like a Condit auto/relic....that box should be a MONSTER...and you wouldnt even get ur money back...
Old 05-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
Yeah I was a bit surprised that I only got $99 for my Anderson Silva/Chris Weidman dual autograph /10. I remember when Moment of Truth came out, I got $300 for a Jon Jones/Anderson Silva dual autograph but that was a redemption card. I'm with you both, it seems the gravy train has left the station on UFC. Beautiful cards, but there is zero incentive for breakers anymore.
few months ago i got a Silva/Sonnen dual from last years KO....numbered /10....probably one of the best cards i own....paid $62 for it...lol...that is such a joke...one of the biggest duals u can have really...like sonnen isnt a huge sell...but with Anderson its a big deal cuz of there rivalry...and got it for less than half the price of a box of KO...

I have a Jon Jones Ruby Auto 8/8 from MOT...at one time was gonna sell...but now i just cant bring myself to sell it cuz i know i wont get more than like $75 for it...