Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > MMA - Mixed Martial Arts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why are 2010 Topps UFC (Series 4) prices so low?

Previous UFC boxes cost much more than this. Is the set not as good or is the demand just not there?
cardboardHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I looked at the checklist, and there aren't many good "rookie" autos to pull. Last year had Lesnar, this time around they don't have anybody nearly as big.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I'm not asking questions, I'm just buying some! I want to get at least some of this stuff before it gets too high over SRP like the first three series did.
oldgoldy97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Also, the release of Machida, Couture, GSP autos from other products (such as UD Prominent Cuts) has led to the general lowering of prices on most MMA sticker autos in general.
edhou1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

the way i see it , the sport of mma WILL continue to grow. this is still only the 4th release by topps. so get them while there still available . in years to come these boxes will be worth alot more. and people will say , i remember when these first came out they were only 85 bucks a box . the auto checklist is still good. ok so most of these guys have autos already in previous products ........ so what. i guess it's bad for the folks that like to rip and flip . but im not in it for that . i collect mainly for fun . i enjoy it . i do sell some ........ but i dont expect to make 5,000 profit on my case . so in the end im left with something i enjoy instead of feeling depressed cuz i didnt get the big "hit"

Last edited by mma138; 07-15-2010 at 08:19 AM.
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Plus they are going from 24 packs per box to 16 packs per box (with 4 hits, still pretty darn good). I also like what they are doing with the Dana White/Fighter autos.
DarthGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Prices are by no means low. They are still somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 over cost so that's hardly low. Demand is just finally slowing down so product is not moving and the price drop was bound to happen.
scottiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Supply/Demand.

I don't expect prices to remain constant, especially with the amazing hits laced throughout the product (GSP Auto/Relic swatch booklet anyone?).
choC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choC. View Post
Supply/Demand.

I don't expect prices to remain constant, especially with the amazing hits laced throughout the product (GSP Auto/Relic swatch booklet anyone?).
yeah that will be a 1 of 1 i think , super tough to get. they should have at least made 25 of those.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

If I had a million dollars I would have bought every box of Round 1 & 2 I could of got my hands on. I bought a lot of those series, but have not touched series 3 and will not touch series 4, waste of money. If you want to spend money on a MMA card, buy GSP's red ink auto from round 1 or the spider red ink, you will be laughing at those who bought series 3 and 4 a decade from now. Love the booklet idea though, just wish it would have been in the first series where it would have held real long term value. They will probably start shooting them out like hotcakes now. Topps flooding the market again with the same autos of the same people is never good
Razorsharp79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorsharp79 View Post
If I had a million dollars I would have bought every box of Round 1 & 2 I could of got my hands on. I bought a lot of those series, but have not touched series 3 and will not touch series 4, waste of money. If you want to spend money on a MMA card, buy GSP's red ink auto from round 1 or the spider red ink, you will be laughing at those who bought series 3 and 4 a decade from now. Love the booklet idea though, just wish it would have been in the first series where it would have held real long term value. They will probably start shooting them out like hotcakes now. Topps flooding the market again with the same autos of the same people is never good

but see , not everyone is buying these with the thought of selling right away to try and make profit . so saying series 4 is bad ? bad for flippers........ not a waste of money for people that like to collect them

Last edited by mma138; 07-22-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

You are right on that, great for the collector, bad for the flipper. Some very cool cards in series 4 no doubt, and they will make collectors very happy, but for someone who has resell on their mind the chase is not feasible for the high dollar cards available in this product
Razorsharp79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

im wondering if topps will wait until next year to release another product . they come out with these too fast.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

As long as Topps keeps selling out they will keep printing. They are wise enough to know the hype and demand for these will wear out so why not keep printing while they can.
cruiserdaddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #15 (permalink)

well if they have another release this year after series 4 , what can they really do with it ? i would hope its some kind of heritage set . or chrome
Old 12-26-2010, 05:29 AM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to MCAutoGraphs

granted that you probably have to pull a booklet auto to see high end $$ but at the prices these days for series 4 w/ 4 hits @ around $37-40 is way better than the price on earlier series...
Find me on FB under Memorabilia Craze 4 Contests & Specials, Twitter @ Memorabilia_Now
MCAutoGraphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #17 (permalink)

I just ordered 9 boxes because they were so cheap.

I have been a MMA fan since the beginning when they had tournaments and the boxes being so low made me decide I was going to take a break from basketball and start collecting UFC cards. We will see how I do!
Kobe101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

A problem, I think these are great. I didn't really get into UFC until early last year, and did get a bit of main event. But, I am on a fairly limited budget, and have learned to only really like sets that satisfy me without a big hit. I can't buy $100 boxes with any regularity at all, and cut off at about $5 packs. (Having a 4yr old has a pretty big effect on this.) I have picked up some main event inserts I've picked up since then.

I'd like to eventually pick up an insert or two from the first 2 series, but won't be paying big $$. With series 4, I have been able to pick up 6 or 8 boxes, and pulled a couple good items. The best one is an Anthony Johnson red auto. I think that with this series, I will eventually be able to get a "Master Set" of all base, gold parallel, base autos, base gear, and base matt relics. I also hope to get a "type set" of all all other inserts I can possibly get (Parallel of inserts, dual autos, 1/1, etc.).

Now, this having been said, my scenario is more the norm than the exception. I don't think I'd ever tell someone what to like, or that their choices were bad, but I feel for me the prices of round 1/2 are ridiculous, and take away from what makes cards great.... it's a hobby, people! I can completely dig the value of a great player or athlete's collectibles, but the price of boxes is just crazy. If I had the money, I wouldn't buy the. I don't care as much for the design, and Main Event and Series 4 are much more appealing to me as a product. Frankly, if money were less of a problem I still wouldn't buy them. I don't like the look of them enough to pay anywhere close to what they cost. I'm happy with making money as much as the next guy, but to me it's like UD Exquisite or The Cup.... it's not got enough value for the high pricetag.

As I type, I am opening a dozen packs of 4...... a /8 parallel and Jon Jones auto /88.... very happy. :-)
whovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #19 (permalink)

A problem, I think these are great. I didn't really get into UFC until early last year, and did get a bit of main event. But, I am on a fairly limited budget, and have learned to only really like sets that satisfy me without a big hit. I can't buy $100 boxes with any regularity at all, and cut off at about $5 packs. (Having a 4yr old has a pretty big effect on this.) I have picked up some main event inserts I've picked up since then.

I'd like to eventually pick up an insert or two from the first 2 series, but won't be paying big $$. With series 4, I have been able to pick up 6 or 8 boxes, and pulled a couple good items. The best one is an Anthony Johnson red auto. I think that with this series, I will eventually be able to get a "Master Set" of all base, gold parallel, base autos, base gear, and base matt relics. I also hope to get a "type set" of all all other inserts I can possibly get (Parallel of inserts, dual autos, 1/1, etc.).

Now, this having been said, my scenario is more the norm than the exception. I don't think I'd ever tell someone what to like, or that their choices were bad, but I feel for me the prices of round 1/2 are ridiculous, and take away from what makes cards great.... it's a hobby, people! I can completely dig the value of a great player or athlete's collectibles, but the price of boxes is just crazy. If I had the money, I wouldn't buy the. I don't care as much for the design, and Main Event and Series 4 are much more appealing to me as a product. Frankly, if money were less of a problem I still wouldn't buy them. I don't like the look of them enough to pay anywhere close to what they cost. I'm happy with making money as much as the next guy, but to me it's like UD Exquisite or The Cup.... it's not got enough value for the high pricetag.

As I type, I am opening a dozen packs of 4...... a /8 parallel and Jon Jones auto /88.... very happy. :-)
whovian is offline   Reply With Quote