Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > The National Sports Collectors Convention

The National Sports Collectors Convention This is a seasonal forum that will run from about April through August each year.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 04:14 AM   #551 (permalink)

Cash is king at the national
Old 06-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #552 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by halofan25 View Post
I remember reading a story of a guy who was held up by airport security because he had 80 grand in cash on him. Make sure you read airport guidelines..
dacaptain37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #553 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaptain37 View Post
I remember reading a story of a guy who was held up by airport security because he had 80 grand in cash on him. Make sure you read airport guidelines..
This should really only apply with International crossings. Then just be sure to declare the amount you are bringing in or Customs can just take undeclared cash!
Old 06-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #554 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by halofan25 View Post
Very true!

** Looking for 1953 Bowman Color PSA 5 or better cards **
Whodey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:10 AM   #555 (permalink)

36 days and counting!

Go Pittsburgh!!!
pensfan87893 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #556 (permalink)

Still on the fence about going. I was excited until I read the numerous posts about grumpy dealers and people pricing cards above ebay.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #557 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 711 Cards View Post
Still on the fence about going. I was excited until I read the numerous posts about grumpy dealers and people pricing cards above ebay.
Aren't there others that refute that? It's an amazing and fun experience. And as others have said, there are plenty of deals and dealers who are not only friendly but will dicker. But I guess that depends on what you are looking for...the latest/hottest isn't likely to be discounted, but the dealers are there to sell and pay their expenses, so depending what they have into the card they may work with you. Also, like any other show, you can sometimes find deals buried in $1/$5 boxes where the cards were put there long before someone got hot. Hope to see you there!
Old 06-24-2014, 10:16 AM   #558 (permalink)

Quote:
I find fantastic deals at every National. I get stuff for well below book every year. I have gone most years since the mid 90s. Just bring a list of what you need and what they go for. You will be ready when you see something you want.

Player collectors should wear the shirt of the player they collect. Dealers see the shirt and they will tell you that they have some oddball item that is under the table, pull it out and then start the negotiation.

I always end up with tons of stuff that I never had an interest in. Last year I bought about 5000 cards in sets and packs for almost nothing. My son and I had fun back in the room tearing through all of the stuff.

I say GO
NotoriousB.O.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #559 (permalink)

Quote:
If you know cards and know how to haggle in a way where you don't come off as a dbag, you can deal with anybody. It'd be crazy not to go based off the perception that dealers are grumpy and have high prices. You'd be missing out on a great experience. Just my opinion.
dacaptain37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:08 AM   #560 (permalink)

So if I went looking for about 15-20 different players prospect chrome autos and looking to snag a few wax boxes at a decent price it would be worth the trip?
Old 06-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #561 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoriousB.O.B. View Post
I find fantastic deals at every National. I get stuff for well below book every year. I have gone most years since the mid 90s. Just bring a list of what you need and what they go for. You will be ready when you see something you want.

Player collectors should wear the shirt of the player they collect. Dealers see the shirt and they will tell you that they have some oddball item that is under the table, pull it out and then start the negotiation.

I always end up with tons of stuff that I never had an interest in. Last year I bought about 5000 cards in sets and packs for almost nothing. My son and I had fun back in the room tearing through all of the stuff.

I say GO
No, no, and no. Do not wear team affiliated or player clothing. I learned this the hard way. They know that you are interested and will then try and get each and every last penny out of their card. Wear plain clothing, and when you ask, ask for a few players, not just one, so they can't pinpoint who you are looking for.
Also want your Brook Lopez, Mason Plumlee and Deron Williams
yankeesfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:49 PM   #562 (permalink)

ANYONE sees pat white sp authentic patch autos from 2009 please post in this thread or buy it and I will get with you as im almost to 500 of the /999 that were made
Old 06-25-2014, 02:29 AM   #563 (permalink)

Last year was my first national and I can easily say I had the time of my life. As others have mentioned there are deals to be had there if you can find them. Some of the prices on wax are also very good compared to other places.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:33 AM   #564 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan24 View Post
No, no, and no. Do not wear team affiliated or player clothing. I learned this the hard way. They know that you are interested and will then try and get each and every last penny out of their card. Wear plain clothing, and when you ask, ask for a few players, not just one, so they can't pinpoint who you are looking for.
I see where you are coming from on this. I have no issues walking away from any/all dealers. Plus I collect Julio Franco and Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, neither are expensive. To behonest, if someone comes up with a carzy price, my son and I laugh, say thanks and keep walking.

We find this much easier then actually talking to hundreds of dealers to casually find out if they have something.

But everyone has their own technique which is what makes the show and life in general so great. If you see me at the show say hi to me. I will be there Wed - Sun probably wearing the Billy Johnson jersey so I will be easy to spot.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:39 AM   #565 (permalink)

Quote:
I see where you are coming from on this. I have no issues walking away from any/all dealers. Plus I collect Julio Franco and Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, neither are expensive. To behonest, if someone comes up with a carzy price, my son and I laugh, say thanks and keep walking.

We find this much easier then actually talking to hundreds of dealers to casually find out if they have something.

But everyone has their own technique which is what makes the show and life in general so great. If you see me at the show say hi to me. I will be there Wed - Sun probably wearing the Billy Johnson jersey so I will be easy to spot.
Do you collect Julio Franco oddball stuff? I have a bunch of pre-1993 from my days as a dealer.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:03 AM   #566 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmrson View Post
Do you collect Julio Franco oddball stuff? I have a bunch of pre-1993 from my days as a dealer.
I do collect oddball items. I am fairly complete as I have been doing it for 30 years now. If you have something odd though, it is possible I am not aware of the item and would love to know.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #567 (permalink)

Quote:
I do collect oddball items. I am fairly complete as I have been doing it for 30 years now. If you have something odd though, it is possible I am not aware of the item and would love to know.
I can always bring them to the National...I should have lots of stickers including OPC and Red Foley, Canadian Issues, the Starting Lineup Talking Baseball cartoon version (from the team cartridges), food/box sets and more. Been a while since I looked. Only items I have left on COMC are the '92 Bens Bread Disc and '87 OPC sticker. If you're wearing a Franco jersey prices are doubled!

Last edited by Gmrson; 06-25-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Gmrson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #568 (permalink)

Quote:
I can always bring them to the National...I should have lots of stickers including OPC and Red Foley, Canadian Issues, the Starting Lineup Talking Baseball cartoon version (from the team cartridges), food/box sets and more. Been a while since I looked. Only items I have left on COMC are the '92 Bens Bread Disc and '87 OPC sticker. If you're wearing a Franco jersey prices are doubled!
Ha! That would be great if you could bring them. What is your table number so I can mark it on my map? I will definitely stop by.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #569 (permalink)

Quote:
Ha! That would be great if you could bring them. What is your table number so I can mark it on my map? I will definitely stop by.
no table..will be there Wed-Sat. I'll PM you my info.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:32 AM   #570 (permalink)

34 days to go!!!

Go Pittsburgh!!!
Old 06-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #571 (permalink)

Eddie Murray days until the National!
Old 06-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #572 (permalink)
NSCC Booth 329 and 428

Quote:
Eddie Murray days until the National!
Larry Bird days until National!

Looking for Andre Dawson Serial numbered cards that are his jersey number - either #8 or #10. So looking for cards like 8/8 or 08/99 or 10/250.
ddearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #573 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensfan87893 View Post
34 days to go!!!
I cant believe how fast time is going by
Old 06-27-2014, 04:41 PM   #574 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackvay View Post
I cant believe how fast time is going by
I hear ya! I'm pretty excited to go to this show! Will be my first National.

Go Pittsburgh!!!
Old 06-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #575 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensfan87893 View Post
I hear ya! I'm pretty excited to go to this show! Will be my first National.
and next year you'll be thinking...Chicago isn't that far