Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 07:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Ebay Makes Mistake, Pulls Topps Washington Hair Auction)

EBAY MAKES MISTAKE, PULLS TOPPS WASHINGTON HAIR AUCTION)

In a strange mistake and what could turn out to be a costly one for seller Card_Galaxy on eBay, the powers that be pulled his legitimate auction for the Topps Allen & Ginter George Washington Hair card. The card was up to $8300 with just a couple days left when ebay abruptly took it down.

"Somebody in Trust & Safety pulled it because they said I could not list a George Washington item under the baseball cards heading," said owner Ken Simonis in an email. "They now understand it is a baseball card but too late so all they said I could do is relist."

It has been re-listed under baseball cards. The move could cost Simonis thousands of dollars. It is very important on an item such as this to get the early bids when the fever is at its pitch. With the auction already at $8300, now at $1750 there is a question as to whether the card will reach the heights it once did.

The Brill Report has heard from at least one bidder who is having second thoughts about bidding again. The other danger is people who bid, or who were watching and waiting to bid, may wonder why the auction is gone. It is not unusual for bidders to back off an auction the web site administration killed, simply for fear there was something wrong -- despite the fact in this case it was a major mistake on the part of the site owners.

-The Brill report
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tim

I can't tell you how many run-ins I have had with ebay's utterly incompetent trust and safety department. At least now they are exposed to all.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

agreed - their entire customer service/trust&safety operation is trash. im still holding out for hope that sooner or later there will be another site that can compete with them - at least with cards... hopefully Naxom will do just that.
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

WOW, I was wondering what happened to it.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

IF that card goes for significantly less than $8300. due to fleabay's idiocy I wonder if the seller can take legal action against fleabay since their blunder cost the seller a few grand ?

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

they're just going to throw the "we have the right to do whatever the F we want" bs at him... which is weaksauce.

but if he was ballsy enough, he could take his case to the court of public opinion and put ebay on blast via the media. all it takes is one reporter to speak about it on air and it could start something and try to goat ebay into apologizing.

but that would be ambitious.. too ambitiuos.. but if he/she pulled it off, they would would be my hero.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Weaksauce!! I love it! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who says that.
Crash1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
they're just going to throw the "we have the right to do whatever the F we want" bs at him... which is weaksauce.

but if he was ballsy enough, he could take his case to the court of public opinion and put ebay on blast via the media. all it takes is one reporter to speak about it on air and it could start something and try to goat ebay into apologizing.

but that would be ambitious.. too ambitiuos.. but if he/she pulled it off, they would would be my hero.

Capt. you don't think there is some gung-ho ambulance chaser out there just looking to make a name for himself by going after a corporate giant like fleabay ? There was nothing wrong with the listing and fleabay allowing him to relist is an obvious admittance to their mistake. That mistake couldcost the seller a few grand which is nothing to fleabay but alot to most sellers. Just say the card ended at $5,000. - you don't think the courts would feel that seller is entitled to something for fleabays negligence ? I'm not even the seller and I'm PO'd since fleabay just has a history of acting without doing their homework.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jughead Send a message via Yahoo to Jughead

How often do these expensive auctions even get paid for? There's no such thing as bad publicity, unless your name is Michael Vick, and the only thing Joe 12-Pack is going to get out of this is "wow! hair on card! oh, that eBay!"

It's still going to be a crapshoot as to whether the winner pays for this item.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

oh i know there are a lot of people out ther elooking to take down corporations like ebay... i would love to see anything that would smear ebay in the public eye. I would hope that the courts feel the seller is entited for something if he took what would turn out to be a "loss" if the item ended lower than where the bidding left off.

bam - not disagreeing with you at all....but at the same time honestly i dont know where you are going with your comments?
Old 09-06-2007, 01:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

J- its a crap shoot as to wether your $20 Favre jersey will get paid for anymore on fleabay. Thats not my point.
I'm just wondering out loud if something could be down for the poor seller if people avoid the auction the second time around. If the $8300. was bid by someone with 100% fdbk who regularly takes part in these types of auctions that would only help his case.
I just hate the way that companies are always hammering the little guy with the whole "because we can attitude" anymore. Just once I'd like to see the little guy kick the big guy right in the wedding tackle for a change.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jughead Send a message via Yahoo to Jughead

Yeah, it wasn't your point. I am really bad about changing the subject. You guys really put up with it well, I have to say. I don't even look at what the subject of the thread is half the time.

If the little guy was going to go for the wedding tackle, he wouldn't be little. I am playing devil's advocate here, but there is a reason the little guy is always little. The little guy is not as important, relatively.

We can't check the feedback of the high bidder because the auction was taken down, which is lame, because you've got my curiosity going. I am going to guess that the person's feedback was low, though. People love to bid.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

If the card sells for less money and the seller decides to take it to court there's always a land shark ready to make more money defending the seller than what the lose was caused by ebays mistake.
iam4car3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
Yeah, it wasn't your point. I am really bad about changing the subject. You guys really put up with it well, I have to say. I don't even look at what the subject of the thread is half the time.

Funny J ! Essie (my wife) just yelled up to me in my office asking WTH am I laughing at.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam4car3 View Post
If the card sells for less money and the seller decides to take it to court there's always a land shark ready to make more money defending the seller than what the lose was caused by ebays mistake.

I hear that but this is the USA where anything is possible in the court of law. Maybe he can get extra in "damages" what do I know. Hell, ever since the guy sued some homeowners for a nice lump sum for hurting his leg while climbing through their window I guess anything is possible. BTW he hurt his leg climbing through their window in an attempt to rob them. NICE !

Old 09-07-2007, 03:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

It has been relisted for a third time. Apparently ebay still won't let it go, what f'in tools they are.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Hopefully he will sell if off-line so ebay will miss out on the fees.

ebaycatdogoo
ryanmanley@hotmail.com
ebaycatdogoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jayk1998

Maybe I'm the only one, but if I have a card that's going to fetch that kind of money, the LAST place I'm thinking about selling it is ebay.
jayk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote