Blowout Cards Forums
4/4/14 Coupon

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #201 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
last year was whackier
wasnt there, but hard to beleive lol..this was pretty whack
Old 11-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #202 (permalink)

Not impressed with this years effort at all. Checked in for about 2 hours yesterday afternoon after gtting back from the stores. Didn't see anything that interested me at all except for 08 EEE for 30 some dollars.

Last year I had 4 large boxes of stuff show up Wednesday after last BF weekend. The grand finale last year was great with all the kickass deals on until they ran out. 08 Goudey and 08 Masterpiece baseball retail was like $10a box. This year is just regular weekend specials.

The competition definitely got a leg up on BO as well as some of my money this year.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #203 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblackiie View Post
wasnt there, but hard to beleive lol..this was pretty whack

last year after the initial black friday promotion was over a ton of weekend specials went up that were only slightly higher than the black friday prices had been some of the best deals of the year on cheap boxes - 2008 goudey retail $15, 2006 luxury box hobby $29, 2007 trademark moves retail $15, 2006 longevity NFL $12.95 etc.

this year they didn't do any of that. the weekend prices after black friday ended are normal, no deals at all. i'm assuming blowout hasn't been buying as many closeouts lately as in the past or something.
phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #204 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsbroker06 View Post

The competition definitely got a leg up on BO as well as some of my money this year.
doesn't help blowout's case that the competition is still running black friday deals, and will be all weekend.
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #205 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
last year after the initial black friday promotion was over a ton of weekend specials went up that were only slightly higher than the black friday prices had been some of the best deals of the year on cheap boxes - 2008 goudey retail $15, 2006 luxury box hobby $29, 2007 trademark moves retail $15, 2006 longevity NFL $12.95 etc.

this year they didn't do any of that. the weekend prices after black friday ended are normal, no deals at all. i'm assuming blowout hasn't been buying as many closeouts lately as in the past or something.
I loaded up on those Goudey retail boxes. That was a nice deal on those for $11.27 each.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #206 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajshack View Post
I loaded up on those Goudey retail boxes. That was a nice deal on those for $11.27 each.
There was nothing for $10-$15 this year it seemed like
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #207 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
There was nothing for $10-$15 this year it seemed like
I didn't see anything. Last year, Black Friday was on 11/27, so they sold a lot of 24 pack retail boxes and older hobby boxes for $11.27. This year, they flipped it and the cheapest stuff worth buying was $26.11
Old 11-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #208 (permalink)

Didn't they say that there would be a lot of $10 boxes to get the shipping up too?
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #209 (permalink)

I was upset that you guys offered A box of cards on your black friday sale { 2006 TRISTAR baseball } that was around $45 and your ebay store had them for $36.99 free shipping. So how is paying about $9 more + shipping A deal??????????? I emailed the question to your lack of customer service and got no response.

As for the deals, I did have 5 boxes in my cart around 3:30 , I didn't notice the deadline of 4:15 because I fell asleep watching the lack of blowouts. Now they are back to full price. Also, One of the deal prices is still up.

I have shopped Blowout and got great deals in the past. In the future I hope next year is better.

Great job on the busy day for all @ Blowout Cards. , Just need product people want. Next year skip the ebay links like you did part way through this year.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #210 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
doesn't help blowout's case that the competition is still running black friday deals, and will be all weekend.
it took a while for them to get it working right, but the competition's website setup for the promotion is really brilliant, too. i can tell that the bars that show how much of a product is available are generating a lot of impulse buying, increasing the closer something gets to selling out - even on products that aren't that great of a deal.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #211 (permalink)

I was able to grab 3 boxes in the first hor, which I was happy with and then went back to sleep. Picked up a box of 2007 Upper Deck Future Stars Baseball, 2008 Bowman Football and 2007 Playoff Contenders Football. Not bad, wasn't really looking to get too much or anything all that special, was just looking to get in on some things in that first hour in one of the 3 major sports and picked up some supplies along with it. Pretty happy with what I got, used what was in my paypal for the majority of the costs. I was not a fan of the Ebay stuff they did. I did not plan on trying to get anything from Ebay but I would have rather had all the deals on the BO site instead. That was the only real issue I had that I wanted to bring up. But for the first hour I was up, I was happy with what I got. Again, I wasn't looking for too much. I would like to thank BO for the sale

I collect 49ers, SF Giants, Nevada Alumni and Orlando Magic
Newbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #212 (permalink)

While I agree that many of the offerings were not that desirable--retail, "kid stuff", etc--I was happy to pick up a couple of cases that were priced at about $250 below even this weekend's special prices. As long as Blowout is willing to listen to any feedback and continue to make this event and others like it better--that's saying a lot in today's world.
My Recent Top Hits-2011 BDP Mike Trout Superfractor #1/1, 2011 BDP Dante Bichette red #1/1, 2011 BDP Archie Bradley Purple Ref Auto /10, 2011 Tier One Manny Pacquiao Autograph, 2011 Tier One Eric Hosmer/Billy Butler Dual Auto /25, 2011 Elite Namath/Starr Passing The Torch Dual Auto
Highlander23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #213 (permalink)

No, this was never stated for 2010. This was a great part of the 2009 promotion, but likely a killer on postage costs for Blowout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
Didn't they say that there would be a lot of $10 boxes to get the shipping up too?
Old 11-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #214 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
yea i agree with this. maybe collectors were spoiled with deals last year and maybe that one guy who said BO doesnt even need to give deals is right. but the biggest issue for BO themselves should be to realize that many other competitor sites are doing deals (more deals, longer deals, better deals). so even if we dont complain that the deals are good enough, no problem, we'd just spend elsewhere and no one could really blame the customer. it is because of this that i am confused/surprised that BO's deals werent up to par with other places...
Old 11-29-2010, 12:41 PM   #215 (permalink)

First off Blowout overall year round has better than average if not the best prices for your trading card dollar and I appreciate that and have made several purchases throughout the year to reflect it.

In regards to this years Black Friday promotion I definitely was disappointed and did not make a purchase beyond one box off Ebay that I was fortunate to get and anyone would have grabbed at such a low price.

I think the problem was in a few key areas:

1. Hype. After last years promotion and year round deals, Blowout has a reputation for having good prices. Maybe we're spoiled but if you make that reputation and you promote a Black Friday sale with little information about your promotion beyond "Be There" / "Unbelievable Deals" people come in with a level of expectation that may be too high.

2. The Ebay fiasco. For those who got a box from Ebay, that was a great deal but so many customers didn't. It's a Black Friday sale, not a Black Friday game for a prize of a right to purchase a box cheaply. That promotion was a game no one wants to spend their whole Friday playing. A customers time is important and BO made us all click and stare like mad all day for one box. Would have been more to their benefit if they turned what they gave away cheaply into an added value purchase. Buy $100 of stuff get an sp box for $26.11, for example.

3. Pricing. Again, normally above average year round but in this case it came back to bite them. So many products that were marked down for Black Friday were cheaper weeks earlier (at least stuff I was targeting). So now I feel like I'm being tricked into a good deal that was better earlier in the year. The impression then comes that no price is good or better than an average day. Why buy now?

That's my input, I hope it helps. I'm still a customer for Blowout, but this year it was two other competitors $450, Blowout $26.11.
Go For 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:47 PM   #216 (permalink)

The shipping deal was BS. In haste to not lose out on a "deal" you complete the transaction and get hit with a shipping cost each time.
Never Forget 9/11, Be Diligent and Safe!
Vintage Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:56 PM   #217 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For 2 View Post
this year it was two other competitors $450, Blowout $26.11.

for me blowout $238, competition $5000+ : )
Old 11-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #218 (permalink)

Very Well put GOFOR2. I enjoy "shopping" on black friday, not playing games and speed drills. I found the competitors to be a much more pleasant experience.

Blowout $0, Competitors $500+

PC: Zach Ertz Philadelphia Eagles
Divino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #219 (permalink)

i also was disappointed. especially in the ebay deals. once i saw those, i left this site and went to the competitors site. didnt spend that much there ($125), but more then i spent here ($0). the only amazing deals i saw on the site were 08 DEEE and 07 Contenders, and even though i wasnt at the one last year, this one was hyped and was a BIG let down. i will still be a customer from BO, but the other site had way better deals this year
Also want your Brook Lopez, Mason Plumlee and Deron Williams
yankeesfan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:42 PM   #220 (permalink)

who has money left for the December "try to win us back" deals ?
Old 11-29-2010, 05:50 PM   #221 (permalink)

I don't have time right now for a longer post, but something to remember when comparing the deals from last year and this year, is to remember that the recession is over. Last year pretty much everyone had to give crazy deals in order to increase cash flow for their business, where as this year the number of businesses in that spot cut in half.

Quote:
Only 56 percent are offering heavy markdowns on their products, versus 96 percent a year ago.
The Urge to Splurge Is Creeping Back - Newsweek

Blowout is a great place to buy cards and has awesome deals all the time, so I'd venture a guess that their backs were not against the wall at all this year, where as some other wax sellers did/do still have their backs against the wall and that's where the "killer" deals were.

I hope to be able to make a longer post later addressing various things, hopefully I'll have time this evening.
MasterOfTheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:57 PM   #222 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

LOL at the recession being over.. LOL
wolffer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:18 PM   #223 (permalink)

The recession IS over. I mean, I had 0 SK cards in my collection in 2009. I have 33 SK cards in my collection as 2010 closes.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:22 PM   #224 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfTheDark View Post
I don't have time right now for a longer post, but something to remember when comparing the deals from last year and this year, is to remember that the recession is over. Last year pretty much everyone had to give crazy deals in order to increase cash flow for their business, where as this year the number of businesses in that spot cut in half.

The Urge to Splurge Is Creeping Back - Newsweek

Blowout is a great place to buy cards and has awesome deals all the time, so I'd venture a guess that their backs were not against the wall at all this year, where as some other wax sellers did/do still have their backs against the wall and that's where the "killer" deals were.

I hope to be able to make a longer post later addressing various things, hopefully I'll have time this evening.
hahahahaha....recession over......ahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaa

PC: Zach Ertz Philadelphia Eagles
Divino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:28 PM   #225 (permalink)

There is no argument here. I was also one complaining about the deals. Mostly because i hadn't slept all night and was up at my computer by 5:00 am waiting for the awesomeness! I was there last year and it was amazing. I didn't expect it to be as good as last year but it was a horrible waste of time. I looked back at some of my purchases last year (and i could list them if it was necessary) and the deals last year were anywhere from 10%-20% cheaper than this year! I think the case of cards for $15 is a little INSANE and thats what people focused on but last year i wanted to spend $100-$200 and spent over $1000. This year i wanted to spend over $1000 and spent $300. They were decent deals but no better than their weekend pricing (which is phenomenal). If i have the best prices online and tell everyone to "BE THERE" for black friday I would lower my prices from my prices i offer every weekend? The extra savings that were offered were just enough to cover shipping costs. The fact that there was more animated playing cards than sports cards was just an insult. WHO WAKES UP AT 5AM FOR NEMO CARDS!? Overall the event was a great gesture but simple "weekend deals" at the prices they had (like offered after the promo) would have been just as good.
ajbenson18 is offline   Reply With Quote