Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default The State of Redemption Cards from Panini America

The State of Redemption Cards from Panini America

January 7, 2011 at 2:19 PM

The following response was sent to a customer from Panini America Vice President Jim Dryden regarding the state of redemption cards. We felt it was worth sharing with all Panini America customers.

First of all, thanks to all Panini America customers for purchasing our products. We appreciate your business. Please know that your support is as vital to our success now as it’s ever been.

You should know that no one in the collecting community is as disheartened and frustrated by redemption cards as the men and women inside the Panini America offices. The people building our products are lifelong collectors who are extremely passionate – personally and professionally – and are extremely sensitive regarding issuing even one redemption card.

We have a keen understanding of the impact redemption cards have on the market as well as how our valued customers respond to them. We also are acutely aware of the challenges we face to substantially reduce redemptions in all of our products. These challenges include the increased overall demand for autographs (particularly hard-signed autographs), increased acquisition costs and longer player fulfillment timelines.

Simply, we detest redemption cards but must continue to cope with the fact that they’re something of a necessary evil.

To address the challenges we continue to face, we are in the process of revamping our card design, acquisitions and player fulfillment processes to better match the existing autograph environment. With these changes, we hope to substantially reduce the quantity of redemptions in future products. Please also note that we have always and will continue to respond to redemption requests as quickly as possible. The members of our Product Development and Customer Service teams know the instant player autographs arrive in our offices and they take action immediately to begin the fulfillment process.

Again, we sincerely appreciate your support of our products and completely understand collectors’ frustration with redemption cards. We do not take that lightly. Our vow to all of our customers is that we’ll keep working doggedly to improve the redemption process with the ultimate goal of one day eliminating them altogether.

Thanks and best regards,
Jim Dryden
Vice President of Operations
Panini America

The State of Redemption Cards The Official Panini America Blog
blowoutcards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

From a collector's standpoint, there is nothing worse than pulling expired redemptions from an old box. It also sucks knowing that you cant go chasing a player from an older set because their card is a now-expired redemption. I think this was an issue with Bowman Pujols rookie autos.
Chrisdg19006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisdg19006 View Post
From a collector's standpoint, there is nothing worse than pulling expired redemptions from an old box. It also sucks knowing that you cant go chasing a player from an older set because their card is a now-expired redemption. I think this was an issue with Bowman Pujols rookie autos.
While I agree with you. I've yet to hear of one redemption card that Panini hasnt honored. Including most of the old Leaf and Donruss cards which was from a prior company. I do agree they are pretty much necessarily (we compain when a product is pushed back which is their first choice, so ifyou do release it your left with redemptions as your only option). If they pull the players from the sets you'll have all sorts of skip numbered sets and/or you will start seeing those pulled cards (either taken from the player or they go backdoor) of cards pulled that were never inserted. This is a disaster for the companies, set Builders, and player collectors alike.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

I personally don't mind redemptions but definitely understand the frustration caused by them.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

The worst is pulling a hot prospect autograph and watching them go cold while waiting for months upon months for the receipt of your card! This has happened to me recently but I guess it could always work in reverse as well.
matpat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

I dont mind redemptions when they are fulfilled within the time frame that they advertise.
Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Screamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisdg19006 View Post
I definatly feel the same way... I love finding deals on older boxes and hate it when I can't pull the trigger bcuz the best cards are expired redemptions
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have 47 redemptions from 2010 football products alone that I have in with Panini. The first one was submitted on 11/3/2010 and I have yet to receive even one of them! Of course, most of them are of Rolando McClain and Gerald McCoy, so I suppose there's no big hurry, LOL.

I broke 7 packs of Panini Limited Hockey last week and pulled 8 redemptions! I only got three live autos out of the 11 that I hit. That's ridiculous.

What I'd like to hear from them is what they are doing about this year's products.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snackeyp View Post
I have 47 redemptions from 2010 football products alone that I have in with Panini. The first one was submitted on 11/3/2010 and I have yet to receive even one of them! Of course, most of them are of Rolando McClain and Gerald McCoy, so I suppose there's no big hurry, LOL.

I broke 7 packs of Panini Limited Hockey last week and pulled 8 redemptions! I only got three live autos out of the 11 that I hit. That's ridiculous.

What I'd like to hear from them is what they are doing about this year's products.
If the first one was submitted 11/3/2010, isn't the minimum ttime to wait/ask for a replacement 4 months...that said I know they usually say 6-8 weeks, but even then you just past the 8 week mark
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

I am very close to having the 2010 Certified Freshman Fabric set done with and I have all the redemptions already typed in and now am waiting on panini to ge them to me. This is a horrible year for them in all sports it looks like in terms of redemptions. They pushed Certified back already a couple times so why almost 40% redemptions in the FF set. I dont buy what this guy says one bit. They should have called it 2010 Panini Redemption instead of Certified. I never minded them until lately. I can understand hockey as they are new to making NHL products but not football. Maybe they should go back to making autos harder to pull so they wouldnt have this problem. Also, why is he talking about hard signed cards when they have very vary few of them available. I have emailed them several times with not one response. I would think some of the players in the Certified set would have signed already but I guess not.
BroncosFAN#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

So is it safe to buy a 2008 Panini product???
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matpat21 View Post
the worst is pulling a hot prospect autograph and watching them go cold while waiting for months upon months for the receipt of your card! This has happened to me recently but i guess it could always work in reverse as well.
exactly what i told them i pulled so many collison gold from natl treasures and i gave up and have requested replacements
this card was hot but who knows now--to wait 4 months and so far every product i have busted there are too many redemptions per case
mswift69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

I didnt have a problem with redempitons until today. I bought a box of limited hockey and pulled 2 redemptions. 1 I dont mind.
justinj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinj31 View Post
I didnt have a problem with redempitons until today. I bought a box of limited hockey and pulled 2 redemptions. 1 I dont mind.
Oh man, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. I just won't buy their stuff any more. It's out of hand
Old 01-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

I actually kind of like redemption cards to be honest. You can usually get them at a cheaper value because they are redemptions when you are buying and when you open it up and then redeem it you forget about it and then you have a surprise that is in your mailbox. Just my thoughts though
trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trogdor View Post
I actually kind of like redemption cards to be honest. You can usually get them at a cheaper value because they are redemptions when you are buying and when you open it up and then redeem it you forget about it and then you have a surprise that is in your mailbox. Just my thoughts though
That must be the only good thing cause lately redemptions & the card companies been giving collectors problems. Topps CS is all but screwed up & Panini isn't really doing much better so I've heard!!
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

Yeah they do take a while and if you write Topps a letter instead of using the email and scan option you get your missing hits/ whatever you need a lot quicker. I tried calling them (8 phone calls to be exact over about a month and a half) and about 10 emails and I finally gave up and sent it in. It was sent out the 5th and I recieved the missing hits back the 11th.
trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

I truthfully dont think its the Card Companys fault. The players are not signing and getting them back in on time. When you have players that are "top" rookies taking time out of the day to sign like Bradford for Football but not a 3rd or 4 string WR/RB doesnt make sense...just because say Bradford gets like $5 per auto or something like that doesnt mean Gerold McCoy should get the same and so he holds out trying to get more money....What I think is funny is that thye run out of Autos of some people...Lafell has had Lice autos in everything but then in Absolute a few of them were redemptions because they ran out of his autos..thats funny
armyatc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:09 AM   #19 (permalink)

here's an idea for you Panini...how about numbering all your redemption cards and making the front look like an actual card that is DIFFERENT from the regular base picture...the only way to get the SP'd pic version would be a redemption for the patch/auto/or whatever...that way at least you would have SOMETHING worth a flip instead of the ugly crap that is in there now...put some effort in to it and make them look awesome! Since all redemptions should be online, the pack buster has something he can keep and might actually enjoy vs. a generic blank....come on guys...stop being LAZY! You know this.

See my collection at: Bradshaw44.com
mindbinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbinge View Post
here's an idea for you Panini...how about numbering all your redemption cards and making the front look like an actual card that is DIFFERENT from the regular base picture...the only way to get the SP'd pic version would be a redemption for the patch/auto/or whatever...that way at least you would have SOMETHING worth a flip instead of the ugly crap that is in there now...put some effort in to it and make them look awesome! Since all redemptions should be online, the pack buster has something he can keep and might actually enjoy vs. a generic blank....come on guys...stop being LAZY! You know this.
You might be on to something here. I'll mention it next time I'm talking to the boys over there!

Thanks,

ES
Old 01-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #21 (permalink)

It's all a load of HorseSh*t!!!!!! You purchase their product and pull a redemption...you wait and wait and wait...how hard is it to see that someone has a legit redemption, pull it and mail it out? Months? are you kidding me? It's a circus!
omnipotent133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #22 (permalink)

I am just as pissed at the number of damaged cards I've been pulling. QC has become quite the nightmare w/ Panini. Between the missing hits, damaged cards and redemptions; many companies held accountable would already be out of business.
SacGWYNN19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaPsFeVeR517

Damn....To think i have a total of 1 with UD and 4 with Panini.... And there all quality people... I cant wait till a MAILDAY tho!!!

If that ever happens!
CaPsFeVeR517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #24 (permalink)

I've opened a few packs of Panini Hockey Ltd. and Cert...the product is garbage, the corners are crap, the shiney material they use just peels off the side, the swatches create veins in the card and sticker auto's...I mean just stick the damn thing onto the card, what's with the little dents? If you bought stocks in Panini...sell, sell, sell!
omnipotent133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

I made a rant about this crap in the football section. I have never seen as many redemptions in one product as I have Certified this year. My set of Freshman Fabric was fun to build but would have been a lot better had 14 of the 35 not been redemptions. I have 23 in the Panini system and when I called Thursday, they told me they had none back yet. Then this guy comes out with some BS message. I think they are acting like they can do what they want since UD is out of the way. They are replacing UD as far as business ethics go. Alls I wanna say is FU panini. your very close to losing my business forever. Stick to pasta and pizza
BroncosFAN#1 is offline   Reply With Quote