Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2008, 08:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default There's Money in Topps Rip Cards...Literally

There's Money in Topps Rip Cards...Literally

Collectors love to rip open new packs of cards. Will they dare rip open the card itself? Topps is hoping to tempt some of them with one of its upcoming products.

Topps Treasury Basketball, which will go live the week of Sept. 29, will offer one autographed card and one Rip card in every 18-pack box. The Rip cards bring back the card-within-a-card concept that has been tried a few times in the hobby in the past, but this time Topps is upping the ante by offering some very tempting possibilities within the Rip card.

The exterior of the Rip cards feature one of 50 players, with each card sequentially numbered. The same 50 players will appear on mini-cards within the Rip card. Exterior and interior cards are also offered in four levels of parallels, numbered to as few as 10. Autograph mini-cards and one-of-one mini-cards featuring the NBA logoman patch are also available.

There will be no debating the value of the other insert cards titled, “They’re Money.” Actual $10, $20, $50, $100, $500 and $1,000 bills will be inserted into the Rip cards. A total of 429 cards will contain some form of cash.

The Topps Treasure base set features 100 players and 20 rookies. Each of the top 10 selections from the 2008 NBA Draft are among the rookies who have signed cards for the set. Each five-card pack carries a $5 suggested retail price.
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Isn't this basically a lottery then? Do we have to report the winnings to the state?
AmericaLovesCrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

are 500 and 1000 bills even considered legal tender?
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, they are legal tender -- I think they get pulled out of circulation when banks get them however.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
are 500 and 1000 bills even considered legal tender?
They aren't in circulation anymore but I'm sure they are still legal tender. There are collectors that have plenty of them. The last time I saw a $500 or $1000 bill was in the mid to late 80's when I was a little kid.

checkoutmycards.com/Users/hockeyjunkie99
hockeyjunkie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericaLovesCrap View Post
Isn't this basically a lottery then? Do we have to report the winnings to the state?
I don't know how other states work, but you don't have to report as long as it's $9999 and under.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

The limit is usually $600 or $1200 for lottery/gambling winnings.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
I don't know how other states work, but you don't have to report as long as it's $9999 and under.
What state do you live in? Oh, California. I want to live there. You would think that state would one of the top states to keep tabs on peoples incomes with all that wealth floating around. Here in Florida anything over $600 has to be reported.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjunkie99 View Post
What state do you live in? Oh, California. I want to live there. You would think that state would one of the top states to keep tabs on peoples incomes with all that wealth floating around. Here in Florida anything over $600 has to be reported.
i think that's if you win something.......... but if you deposit money into a bank account, $9999.99 and under it isn't reported.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_steelers07 View Post
i think that's if you win something.......... but if you deposit money into a bank account, $9999.99 and under it isn't reported.
Good point...I'm not sure what the cap would be.....I guess I should call my g/f who works at a bank....lol

Old 08-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
ND3

Quote:
Good point...I'm not sure what the cap would be.....I guess I should call my g/f who works at a bank....lol
She is probably up to speed on the AMLs.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND3 View Post
She is probably up to speed on the AMLs.
WTF!!!....She wouldn't tell me because she can't. There is an amount but she won't tell me what it is. That $*%!.

She said if people knew what the amount was that they would do "structured deposits" which is illegal and that would make you look suspicious. You have to fill out forms if you deposit over a certain amount of money and it would include all your information. Just because its a certain aomunt of money though doesn't necessarilly mean that that is the cap.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
ND3

Anti Money Laundering regs have tightened but I thought anything over 9999.99 was flagged. Also morons think you could have several (strucutred deposits) under that flag line and you are ok. Wrongo.

Quote:
WTF!!!....She wouldn't tell me because she can't. There is an amount but she won't tell me what it is. That $*%!.

She said if people knew what the amount was that they would do "structured deposits" which is illegal and that would make you look suspicious. You have to fill out forms if you deposit over a certain amount of money and it would include all your information. Just because its a certain aomunt of money though doesn't necessarilly mean that that is the cap.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
It's cool to live in California and all.. But Blowout takes 5 days to ship here. It's painful to wait that long

Low-End Kobe and Kevin Durant autos.
Topps Signature Autographs that I don't have (CP3, Dennis Rodman, Ray Allen, Eric Gordon, Russel Westbrook)
deuxmachinax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Boo

It's cash so who cares. Go buy a new TV with it or something.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Yea exactly its cash, there is no way for anybody to find out you won the money unless a real big shot....what are they could...account investigators? Cause you could just take the money and yea buy a tv, go out for dinner, go to a baseball game, I wonder if you would be able to use a $1,000 bill at bestbuy?
jacobbigshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:05 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:

One of my close friends works in the bank, he reviews the accounts for suspicious activity. He told me that anything over 10K has to be reported and is checked on by the bank. You can make a deposit of 9,999.99 and youd be ok.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

Quote:

i know the exact amount too......and i know that the amount is actually lower than what most people think. (last i read anyways)

deposit over the *right* amount.. BAM.. guess who will be on the fed's radar.
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Did anyone think about if the money is encapsulated in a card. would you rip it open to spend or would the card automatically have a value greater than the bill itself because of its rarity.
ifish73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:10 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to lkk116

Quote:

Kind of lame she wont tell you. I used to work for a bank and the number is anything that is 10,000 in cash not checks deposited or recieved has to be reported and a CTR form is filled out. It is not just limited to 10,000 though, the bank employee has the right to fill out the same form if they feel a person is directly trying to avoid that form as in trying to put in 9,999.99 or 9,600 all the time. Best thing to do is if you make a big deposit or withdrawal is to take out 8,000 or so and that avoids any issues.

aim: tigereye2525
lkk116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #21 (permalink)

I thought they've already covered this ground but only w/ $100 bills? Maybe 2 years ago w/ A&G style cards where the bill was folded and placed in an A&G see-thru style card? I doubt anyone was claiming any of that money...
rudyjustinfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:22 PM   #22 (permalink)

We are just talking $1000 in the set right??? Alot of people's paychecks beat that...I think with the odds we should all be ok...I don't buy BB but might give this a try

RIP PAPAJIM
keggobelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:04 PM   #23 (permalink)

The 500 or $1000 bills are worth more than face value due to rarity with collectors - if you got one a coin shop will pay more for it than a bank would
Dobber2330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:05 PM   #24 (permalink)

$1000.00 US Bank Note 1934 Atlanta LGS - eBay (item 180277044240 end time Aug-20-08 11:51:32 PDT)
Old 08-28-2008, 04:07 PM   #25 (permalink)

US 1934 1000$ ONE THOUSAND DOLLAR FRN NOTE CHICAGO - eBay (item 290252717361 end time Aug-18-08 20:13:07 PDT)