Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Ruth, Jackie and Cobb Join Stadium Club Revival

Ruth, Jackie and Cobb Join Stadium Club Revival

Topps announces that 10 legendary ballplayers will appear as base cards in the return of Topps Stadium Club Baseball including the great Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Ty Cobb, Joe DiMaggio, Honus Wagner, Nolan Ryan, Roberto Clemente, Ted Williams and Tom Seaver.

Stadium Club Baseball, which helped pave the way for the modern high-end card, features the highest quality photography and printing and truly captures the essence of the moment.

The 2008 version features hobby favorite inserts such as Triumvirate, Stain Glass, Beam Team, First Day Issue, Photographer’s Proof, the all-new Sketch Card, the all-new Triple Autograph and much more. And not only is this classic brand returning, but it’s coming back with a major punch with some great guarantees:

Every Pack: 1 Autograph

Every Box: Yankee Stadium Relic, 12 Autographs and 12 sequentially #’d Rookie Cards

Every 4-Box Case: 1 of 1 Sketch Card & a Triple Autographed Card

So, don’t miss what is sure to be an amazing comeback!

2008 Stadium Club Baseball carries a $25 SRP and ships the last week of October.
blowoutcards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tim

oooooh boy -- a base card worth a couple bucks in a $215 pack. Thanks again for nothing Topps.
Tim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

is it just me or did all of the hot air die out quick as soon as triple threads got released? a lot of the guys that i spoke to had higher hopes for topps usage of the names that it secured away from UD. looks like it's going to be a lose-lose for now...
jubei777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
ND3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubei777 View Post
is it just me or did all of the hot air die out quick as soon as triple threads got released? a lot of the guys that i spoke to had higher hopes for topps usage of the names that it secured away from UD. looks like it's going to be a lose-lose for now...
Agreed. Thinking the CMG players are really going to be winner for the 2008 Topps Sterling Product.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND3 View Post
Agreed. Thinking the CMG players are really going to be winner for the 2008 Topps Sterling Product.
I don't know about that, I have still been selling the 2007 Sterling products and people are very disapointed when they pull a relic of Mantle or Willaims or Joe D. I think people just don't care about relics anymore.....and these guys are dead so there won't be any autos of them. I don't know, this hobby is dying when you pull a 1/1 3 Peice relic of Mantle or Ted Williams and lose money.
jacobbigshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

UD won their case against CMG/Topps. I don't know why so many people are confused about this.

The Indiana Judge put a TRO for a few days, and then lifted the restraining order. In addition, there is no Federal law protecting supposed 'likeness rights.' None.

UD [and any of us] is perfectly free to use the photos of any players if they have copyright of said photos/images. Or hair, or sigs, or jersey pieces. The US SC already said stats are fair use so put stats on the back = baseball card. End of discussion. That is why Legendary Cuts was released by the Judge in that case.

CMG does not overrule the First Amendment at their leisure. If UD violates someone else's or MLB's copyrighted property - that is a different discussion entirely.

Now, from a strategic standpoint, UD may not want to get into a war with Topps/any other manufacturer for the players they have under contract, whether it be MJ or Tiger or whomever. They might prefer the same not to happen to them.

Tiger Woods sued an artist who was painting oil likenesses of him [on famous holes/shots] and selling them. He lost.
gomiamigo is offline   Reply With Quote