Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Love MJ & Tiger? Save Those World of Sports Box Tops!

Love MJ & Tiger? Save Those Box Tops!
By Chris Carlin

Upper Deckís new World of Sports set hits store shelves today and is unlike anything ever seen before with its robust assortment of trading cards covering baseball, basketball, hockey, golf, soccer and more! It features the best players from a variety of sports and there are no two bigger stars on the planet than Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods.

Up for grabs - To take home one of these highly sought after dual autograph cards of MJ and Tiger, you'll have to send in your box tops!

One of the most sought-after cards in Upper Deckís 2011 World of Sports set will no doubt be the dual-autograph card of Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods thatís limited to just five copies. As we alluded to last week, we want to make sure these limited-edition cards get into the hands of our valued collectors so we are excited to announce a special box topper redemption program. We will be awarding these five gems to Upper Deck fans who have opened boxes of the new World of Sports set. To participate just follow these simple steps:

1. Purchase a box of Upper Deckís 2011 World of Sports

2. Remove the box top

3. Write your name, address, phone number and e-mail address legibly on the back

4. Send it in to this address to be entered into a random drawing to receive an Upper Deck World of Sports Dual Autograph card of Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan limited to five copies:

The Upper Deck Company

Attn. 2011 World of Sports Box Topper Redemption

5909 Sea Otter Place

Carlsbad, CA 92010

5. Winners will be announced on April 7, 2011, so donít delay, get those box tops in today!

Send in those box tops and take home a signed piece for history for two icons!

Five lucky fans will take home these ultra-rare cards of these two legends from their respective sport. Collect Upper Deckís 2011 World of Sports set and win! For more details on this promotion details, click here.

Love MJ & Tiger? Save Those Box Tops! | Upper Deck Blog
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowoutcards View Post
we want to make sure these limited-edition cards get into the hands of our valued collectors so we are excited to announce a special box topper redemption program.
So let me get this straight...they want to make sure these get into the hands of collectors, but they didn't include them in the packs, YET you still HAVE TO BUY THE BOXES?

Why not simply include them in the product? Do they feel they are incapable of actually making sure these cards make it into their own product?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

This looks to me like a gimmick upper deck made up a few weeks ago to try and ride the box top/redemption pack train that's been popping up recently from other companies.

Upper deck is becoming less and less innovative and more and more like copy cats with inferior products.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
This looks to me like a gimmick upper deck made up a few weeks ago to try and ride the box top/redemption pack train that's been popping up recently from other companies.

Upper deck is becoming less and less innovative and more and more like copy cats with inferior products.
Well I love the effort that they are trying to get people involved even if people think they are copycatting..And whoever goes hard after that beauty will be happy at the end if they win..Prompts to UD
mswift69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

that's a bait and switch. those were listed as hits in the product which sucks for people who pre-ordered in hopes of hitting those cards. lord only knows that these MJ/Tiger duals will wind up mysteriously in diamond club member's hands...
jubei777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubei777 View Post
those were listed as hits in the product which sucks for people who pre-ordered in hopes of hitting those cards.
They probably have better odds of getting one of those cards via the box top program than by busting the wax.
Andrew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
that's a bait and switch. those were listed as hits in the product which sucks for people who pre-ordered in hopes of hitting those cards.
Exactly, and what about people who buy this product after 4/7/2011? They also have no shot at the advertised hits.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
that's a bait and switch. those were listed as hits in the product which sucks for people who pre-ordered in hopes of hitting those cards. lord only knows that these MJ/Tiger duals will wind up mysteriously in diamond club member's hands...
They will say that everyone that buys boxes still has a chance at these...you just have to do more work and spend more money in order to have a chance at them.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Exactly, and what about people who buy this product after 4/7/2011? They also have no shot at the advertised hits.
Yep. Upper deck is a joke. I don't see them ever stopping cheating their customers.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
How is that different from redemptions? Aren't there hundreds of products currently on the market where people have no shot at the advertised hits?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
How is that different from redemptions? Aren't there hundreds of products currently on the market where people have no shot at the advertised hits?
Maybe this is upper deck's answer to everyone's hatred for redemptions.

Instead of inserting redemption cards that expire, they include a box top/wrapper redemption program where all the cards they couldn't/wouldn't put in the product will be given away at random from among all entries submitted, yet will expire years before their previous redemption card programs.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

Sounds like an innovative way to get rid of cards that weren't ready for pack-out but at $70/box, I think scratch-offs would give you a better return on investment.
byronscott4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Maybe this is upper deck's answer to everyone's hatred for redemptions.

Instead of inserting redemption cards that expire, they include a box top/wrapper redemption program where all the cards they couldn't/wouldn't put in the product will be given away at random from among all entries submitted, yet will expire years before their previous redemption card programs.
So you would agree that this isn't really that much different than redemptions. Judging by your response, you seem to believe this is worse because the deadline for redemptions is longer than this deadline. That may be true. However, the flip side is that with the box top program at least all of those cards end up going to collectors, right? IMO, that would seem preferable to UD doing whatever they want with the unredeemed cards (i.e. backdooring them).
Old 02-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

i honestly don't see more than 1 of these actually falling into collector's hands. unless UD announces the real winners, these could all be backdoored out to their diamond collector's hands or used as redemption replacements for big hits that they never intended to produce.
jubei777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
So you would agree that this isn't really that much different than redemptions. Judging by your response, you seem to believe this is worse because the deadline for redemptions is longer than this deadline. That may be true. However, the flip side is that with the box top program at least all of those cards end up going to collectors, right? IMO, that would seem preferable to UD doing whatever they want with the unredeemed cards (i.e. backdooring them).
As I understand how their past redemption programs worked, you pulled a redemption card and could enter it online to see exactly what card you were supposed to get. In other cases, the redemption card itself told you exactly what you were to get. As you already mentioned, redemption cards take a lot longer to expire, (years instead of months in many cases). And let's not forget that for every redemption card you pulled, you were "supposed" to get a card. This new program is completely different than all of these points above. You are guaranteed nothing with this new redemption program. Upper deck isn't going to fool me.

Since this box top/wrapper redemption program expires in just 2 months, why not release this product two months from now with ALL the cards in the product? After all, this is a multi-sport product. I see no downfall to waiting 8 or 9 more weeks to release it.

Upper deck is trying to copy other companies with this multi-sport concept like they have done before, and they are doing a poor job of it. They are also now copying box top/wrapper redemption programs. Time will tell if they do a poor job of this as well.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Wait, the dual auto's aren't in pack.. WTF? That was one of the reasons i was looking into buying this product. But really 4/7/11.. WTF.. I wont be buying any then cause I was looking to getting abox with my tax refund. Thanks UD for showing me why you keep screwing up.
Shimey013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
i honestly don't see more than 1 of these actually falling into collector's hands. unless UD announces the real winners, these could all be backdoored out to their diamond collector's hands or used as redemption replacements for big hits that they never intended to produce.
I have to agree. Isn't it sad that upper deck's past actions put thoughts like this into our heads.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimey013 View Post
Thanks UD for showing me why you keep screwing up.
Just think of all their "screw ups" that they aren't showing us.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Just think of all their "screw ups" that they aren't showing us.
True true...

again 4/7/11 is after tax returns which means dealers will get atleast 4 of the cards which means collectors will NEVER see them.
Shimey013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

Quote:
So let me get this straight...they want to make sure these get into the hands of collectors, but they didn't include them in the packs, YET you still HAVE TO BUY THE BOXES?
how is this any different from SK's box top program?

you have to buy box tops to get special cards right?
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
how is this any different from SK's box top program?

you have to buy box tops to get special cards right?
It's a lot different. Come on now...I know you know it too.

SK rewards people who buy their products by giving them "something extra".

Upper deck punishes their customers by not including major sell-sheet items into their products and giving them nothing "extra" for buying their product. They are simply removing or holding back something that should have been pack-inserted and supposedly randomly giving them away if you take the time and spend more money sending in box tops.

These cards should be included in the product like they made us believe, or they should be specific redemptions. At least that's my opinion, and apparently the opinion of others.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #22 (permalink)

Seems Topps and UD are starting to make this a BAD trend. I hate to again agree with Wheeler, but its a good thing when you get MORE for buying MORE. Its bad when you arent getting what you paid for, or even a chance at it. Upper Deck is holding ransom the cards that were supposed to be in the product. Panini does both companies one worse by giving away the cards we were supposed to get to favored customers. This industry stinks doesnt it?
Old 02-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdaddy7 View Post
Seems Topps and UD are starting to make this a BAD trend. I hate to again agree with Wheeler, but its a good thing when you get MORE for buying MORE. Its bad when you arent getting what you paid for, or even a chance at it. Upper Deck is holding ransom the cards that were supposed to be in the product. Panini does both companies one worse by giving away the cards we were supposed to get to favored customers. This industry stinks doesnt it?
I don't think this industry stinks if you're collecting from the right company.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #24 (permalink)

So, I might be missing something completely but from looking at the sell sheet and stuff, it looks like there will still be Jordan/Woods autos in the boxes. And these /5 cards are a sort of bonus giveaway of sorts. Or were they actively advertising a dual auto of Joran/Woods?
evillittlejawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:19 AM   #25 (permalink)

sure would be sweet to pull one of those duals, whether it's packpulled or through the wrapper buybacks...
dmogull is offline   Reply With Quote