Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 11:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Dealers Want to Spice Up Insert Cards

Dealers Want to Spice Up Insert Cards

Autograph and memorabilia cards are the key selling points of virtually every new card set that hits the market. But with thousands of these types of inserts having hit the market over the past decade, not all of these cards have the same appeal – or secondary market value – that they once did.

A number of hobby retailers surveyed by Card Trade magazine in the past month say the most basic styles of autograph and memorabilia cards are the most overused concepts in the card market and they’d like to see some new innovations introduced to the market.

Detailing what those new innovations would be, however, is often easier said than done. Many of the retailers surveyed admitted they didn’t have a specific idea to suggest to the card companies, but a few specific suggestions did surface.

“I would like to see more oversized jumbo swatches,” said Rob Vandorick of All-Star Baseball near Las Vegas. “Instead of three useless small swatches per box, just put one oversized per box.”

“I think the hobby is ready for an attack of 1-of-1 sketch cards,” said Mike Fata, owner of BBC Galaxee in Bronx, N.Y. “I also would like to see the card companies include box-topper packs in most of their products. They don’t have to be game-used or autographs, just something extra which can’t be found in the regular packs. It gives collectors another incentive to buy a box and a little extra cash for dealers who break up boxes for packs.”

Jay Morgan, owner of Imagine Hobbies & Games in Sherwood, Ark., suggested another idea that would also draw traffic into hobby shops.

“How about a ‘trade card’ that would be a brick-and-mortar exclusive program,” Morgan said. “Maybe three or four packs per hobby box that the customer could redeem in-store only for an exclusive pack, then the retailer could cash those in for some other prize? Have participating dealers register online and regularly report prize pack distribution, and the prizes come directly from the manufacturer to help cut down on misuse. That would genuinely entice the casual collector to purchase at core hobby once in awhile.”

John Dunphy of Cards R Fun in Nashville offered a similar suggestion. “I’d like to see coupons from $5-$50 that would be randomly inserted and could only be used in hobby shops,” Dunphy said.

Charlie DiPietro believes a new take on a concept from the late 1990s might be worth exploring. “Have redemption cards for nicer memorabilia items. To me, that would be a big hit,” he said.

-Card trade
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

This is a cool magazine. I got to read it last week. My LCS was actually in it (Extra Innings, Mason, MI).

Most of these ideas are note worthy...but I'm not sure the "coupon" idea is all that smart....unless the companies are going to reimburse for the coupons (plus this kind of screws the case buyer if they dont have a LCS).

Personally they need to game date the equipment. There is no reason with todays technology this can't be easily done. Donruss did this 8+ years ago (and maybe even farther back than that). Barcode the item (or its storage bag), enter a date, and its done! Much more value in the item.

Oh and Topps..here's an entirely new idea that I think would rock...instead of 24 peices of one guys jersey and bat...why not mix it up and put an entire team on the card? BB you could include the managers as well as the pitching roster (and maybe an owner and/or team mascot). FB you could include the punter and kicker..but I think entire team cards would be really neat!

Oh while I dont mind the rookier premier jerseys..they don't belong in products in December! Get a preseason jersey and use them.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Aaron Send a message via Yahoo to Aaron

I'd have to agree with the "more jumbo swatches" suggestion. Part of the problem is that you used to have commons, and then you'd have those hard-to-find cards. Now, it seems like every pack has a jersey card in it. Kinda defeats the purpose, and reduces the value.

Why keep pumping out jersey cards #'d to 500, 600, 1000+. Make 'em harder to find and you will drive people to buy more packs/boxes in hopes of getting them.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

I like the idea of inserting redemption cards for autographed memorabilia. Say you could get Steiner Sports and Topps to come up with a product together that included redemption cards for signed baseballs, bats, jerseys and maybe even prints (like the one one of Nolan Ryan puttin' it to Robin Ventura)...They could include young stars, veterans, and retired players. Make the redemption card the case hit. Then one out of 5 cases will be a signed gamer of some sorts. After the success Tri-Star had with the signed jersey concept, it proves there is a market for this stuff. The one suggestion I would have is to not make the player a mystery the redemption card should state who the player is and what it is for. Or maybe instead of doing signature cuts..make the redemption cad for the actual item that is being cut...I would enjoy that much more!!! I know we all hate redemptions, but I could live with this stuff!!
thebear29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Make redemptions look like actual unique cards too. That way if most of them got redeemed, those that didn't would still have value. Then you wouldn't have to worry as much about busting or getting rid of cases that have redemption cards that are expiring. Sort of like Topps did several years with their Mantle redemptions. Those cards are still collectible today. I sent all mine in though like an idiot and of course won nothing. LOL

You know who is doing this today...yep, you guessed it, Sportkings! Their redemption cards for actual 1933 cards are unique and not just a plain looking piece of paper or cardboard. You're much better off keeping the redemption card as apposed to redeeming it for a card you can pick up any day of the week on Ebay. Each card is a 1/1 and is unquestionably destroyed once redeemed. I spoke to Dr. Price about that this week as I was hoping to be able to talk him in to returning mine to me upon redeeming them. No luck though, and I respect him for it. Sportkings is really doing things right!
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Upper Deck did this in the 90s with their Hobby Predictors -- They looked like actual cards that had value even if the guy didn't win play of the month or whatever the condition was...

I still have a couple (Ripken/Nomo) That are in sleeves somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Make redemptions look like actual unique cards too. That way if most of them got redeemed, those that didn't would still have value. Then you wouldn't have to worry as much about busting or getting rid of cases that have redemption cards that are expiring. Sort of like Topps did several years with their Mantle redemptions. Those cards are still collectible today. I sent all mine in though like an idiot and of course won nothing. LOL

You know who is doing this today...yep, you guessed it, Sportkings! Their redemption cards for actual 1933 cards are unique and not just a plain looking piece of paper or cardboard. You're much better off keeping the redemption card as apposed to redeeming it for a card you can pick up any day of the week on Ebay. Each card is a 1/1 and is unquestionably destroyed once redeemed. I spoke to Dr. Price about that this week as I was hoping to be able to talk him in to returning mine to me upon redeeming them. No luck though, and I respect him for it. Sportkings is really doing things right!
Old 12-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

I went berzerk on the 02 Authentics FB..I loved those memorabilia hits. To bad the redemptions are now expired as I would pick up more of this in a heartbeat
Old 12-11-2008, 04:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

How about redemptions where you could meet a player or attend some special event be it a playoff game or rookie shoot. I would like the ideal of redemptions for auto memorablia but they need to have it in hand before they create the redemption card. I hate waiting for months or not getting it at all!!

Also they should game date the equipment (great idea iluvfsh2). I think a jersey card from AP's record setting game last year would be nice.

But for me the biggest issue is the cost vs. return. I never really feel like i get my money worth when i bust wax or cases.

just my 2 cents.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexc View Post
How about redemptions where you could meet a player or attend some special event be it a playoff game or rookie shoot. I would like the ideal of redemptions for auto memorablia but they need to have it in hand before they create the redemption card. I hate waiting for months or not getting it at all!!

Also they should game date the equipment (great idea iluvfsh2). I think a jersey card from AP's record setting game last year would be nice.

But for me the biggest issue is the cost vs. return. I never really feel like i get my money worth when i bust wax or cases.

just my 2 cents.

HOF predictor cards -- 1 per player on the ballot -- if he gets in, you get a trip to the ceremony...
Old 12-11-2008, 05:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowoutcards View Post

I think the hobby is ready for an attack of 1-of-1 sketch cards,” said Mike Fata, owner of BBC Galaxee in Bronx, N.Y.

-Card trade

I sure hope they don't do this!!!
tattooelement is offline   Reply With Quote