Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #51 (permalink)

Can UD do anything right for the hobby and its consumers at all. I wouldnt be surprised if they closed their door soon. Image being an employee there. I'd be looking for another job asap.
thewild3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:14 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7290morint View Post
However, chevrolet isn't threatening to shut down people who resell the car within 90 days of it being released nor are they going out of their way to try and punish people for doing it.

I hope that BO wins the lawsuit and puts UD out of business for good personally. Nobody really wants to collect bug cards to begin with. They probably should have been shut down after openly admitting to creating fraudulent non sports cards.
They do make some damn nice NHL cards though

Collection Bucket: http://s1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/dachman/James%20Starks%20PC/
Busting Packs PC Profile: http://www.bustingpacks.com/pc-profile/james-starks
dachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #53 (permalink)
XL5

If my LCS's quit charging 150% what BO does, I would buy more than one box of product from them.

I like the "hobby shop" aspect but only enough to get nailed once for each release. The rest of my product I get online.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Nobody really wants to collect bug cards to begin with.
If nobody wants to collect them, why are people paying crazy prices for them on eBay?
Andrew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
If nobody wants to collect them, why are people paying crazy prices for them on eBay?
That's a fair question and I think it's a very small portion of their market. People who buy baseball cards aren't out there wanting bug cards. How many threads have you seen here for people wanting to buy bug cards?
Old 07-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #56 (permalink)

If you want to buy that Chevrolet, you need to go to one of those dealerships to buy it.

It's nothing new.

If you bought one brand of cards once every 5-8 years, this might be an appropriate comparison.
IMO, a more apt analogy would be if Kellogg's said you could only buy their cereal at one particular store, except the store they pick isn't a national chain. To most people, the effort isn't worth it and they'll just stop buying the brand. If you want me to buy your brand consistently, you should make it readily available.
CharlieHustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
That's a fair question and I think it's a very small portion of their market. People who buy baseball cards aren't out there wanting bug cards. How many threads have you seen here for people wanting to buy bug cards?
I don't see many threads started on that topic, but when someone posts a box break where they hit one of those cards, I've seen several people inquire about whether the card is available so there seems to be some level of interest out there. There are tons of people who collect vintage cards but I never see threads started by people looking to buy PSA graded 1952 Topps cards or T206 cards either.

Even if it is only a small portion of the market, that still means there are some people out there who want to collect those cards which means that it isn't accurate to say that nobody wants to collect them.
Andrew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #58 (permalink)

Well that's the point, Upper Deck is trying to bring that interaction back.

So, that's why UD sells cards at Target and WalMart? For the "interaction".

If UD is doing the right thing and trying to revive card shops, then they should also install a uni-lateral price ceiling on new release products.
You want us to buy your cards at a card shop? Fine, at least grant us the dignity of not getting gouged up the anus.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #59 (permalink)

Just wait until all of the lawyer/court costs add up and Blowout recoups those costs by charging consumers more for boxes.
jr24ai3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #60 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

Upper Deck is acting foolishly. They are about the $ only. Topps doing a Prime 9 promotion where you can get a card redeemed immediately at your local card shop... that is an effort to get you back into your hobby shop. If UD cares so much about your interaction , why have they not done something similar?

There are 2 models at work here:

1. Give collectors an incentive to visit their local hobby shop.
2. Punish collectors for not buying your product where you want.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieHustle View Post
If you want to buy that Chevrolet, you need to go to one of those dealerships to buy it.

It's nothing new.

If you bought one brand of cards once every 5-8 years, this might be an appropriate comparison.
IMO, a more apt analogy would be if Kellogg's said you could only buy their cereal at one particular store, except the store they pick isn't a national chain. To most people, the effort isn't worth it and they'll just stop buying the brand. If you want me to buy your brand consistently, you should make it readily available.
And if I went to that selective store and bought it with a valid resale license and brought it to my area to resell I would get in trouble.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Well that's the point, Upper Deck is trying to bring that interaction back.

So, that's why UD sells cards at Target and WalMart? For the "interaction".

If UD is doing the right thing and trying to revive card shops, then they should also install a uni-lateral price ceiling on new release products.
You want us to buy your cards at a card shop? Fine, at least grant us the dignity of not getting gouged up the anus.
Not that there is anything wrong with that... - Seinfeld
--Maynard James Keenan
golferphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houdini View Post
Upper Deck is acting foolishly. They are about the $ only. Topps doing a Prime 9 promotion where you can get a card redeemed immediately at your local card shop... that is an effort to get you back into your hobby shop. If UD cares so much about your interaction , why have they not done something similar?

There are 2 models at work here:

1. Give collectors an incentive to visit their local hobby shop.
2. Punish collectors for not buying your product where you want.
Honestly, those Prime 9 promotions and card of the week promotions don't work.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #64 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24ai3 View Post
According to my LCS he does see new faces with these incentives. Sure, they are small steps, but a miracle fix does not exist. I did not mean that they are a cure all - just that it was an attempt made the correct way.

Also, I certainly don't mean that Topps is wonderful... I just have to think of my MCG redemption of a 1961 Phil Rizzuto that showed up as a common card with a letter saying "sure you paid to have a 1961 Phil Rizzuto delivered but we thought you would really like Bob Turley much better."

I just mean that incentive is a better model than punishment.

Another reason to hate UD:

Old 07-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachman View Post
Wouldn't that be MLB's fault for only giving them the license?
Yes.

Does that mean a collusion charge can be tacked on as well?
beardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houdini View Post
Another reason to hate UD:

Does Upper Deck have a PR department or did everybody at the company think it was a good idea to put out this video?

That video is horrible for their image and in no way, shape or form helps the cause they are promoting.

Shows a bunch of imbeciles work there & that eBay & Craigslist are the crooks here to blame by calling them out by name. Really? I'm surprised eBay hasn't had this snatched down yet.

Dumbest video I've ever seen a company put out in my life. SMH.

GET CASH FOR MORE CARDS! HUNDREDS OF SATISFIED SELLERS - ALWAYS IMMEDIATE PAYMENT!
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:

It's nothing new.

This is not a good analogy because Food typically has no resale value to a consumer because they eat it. Cards have resale value.

If products are only available via cardshops and they set the prices high (40-50% markup), then singles on ebay when they become available will be in high demand. This may possible cause a product to last longer in terms of desirabilty because people who do not have access to card shops will need to buy them on ebay at a later date.

Upper Deck may see that creating so many different products to create the demand every few weeks is bad for their business. They want to create less products and have the demand last longer. This may make business sense for them.
dwest13cavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #68 (permalink)

Support your LCS when you buy UD and Panini products.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #69 (permalink)

If products are only available via cardshops and they set the prices high (40-50% markup), then singles on ebay when they become available will be in high demand.

That's exactly what they think at Upper Deck HQ. Never once thinking that collectors might not be interested in the product to begin with. I didn't see any increased demand for Goodwin singles or any perceived scarcity. It came and went just like every other release. There is no special bonding going on between customers and card shops because of Goodwin or any other UD products. The product came out, boxes and singles were sold on ebay and retail packs were available at Target and WalMart. There was almost no difference from any other release except that they added a hurdle into the mix for those who case break.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:03 PM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwest13cavs View Post
If products are only available via cardshops and they set the prices high (40-50% markup), then singles on ebay when they become available will be in high demand.
If you are a dealer and pay $70 for a box, you would price it around $100 with a 40% markup. That is a profit of only $30 on a $100 sale (and this is not counting credit card processing/overhead/etc). $30 profit on a $100 sale really isn't that much. If you buy a box for $70, what would you price it at? If you price it any less that $90-$100 you will have a very tough time staying in business, especially if wax is a major part of your sales. If a $70 box was marked up to $120-$140, that may be a bit much. But 40% is far from a high markup.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:53 AM   #71 (permalink)

Its funny as hell reading the computer lawyers here. But sadly they have no idea what they are talking about, blowout dont really have a case.

Its not a monopoly but dont let a little thing like facts get in the way of a tale.
tonedef2oo8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #72 (permalink)

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedef2oo8 View Post
Its funny as hell reading the computer lawyers here. But sadly they have no idea what they are talking about, blowout dont really have a case.

Its not a monopoly but dont let a little thing like facts get in the way of a tale.
Said the board troll .......................so let me get this straight, you are the computer lawyer who does know what legality of the case. You go bye-bye now and see you on the next trolling opportunity.
WCTYSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24ai3 View Post
my lcs did not even know about it
and
a lot of lcs will attempt to sell the cards before they give them away for free

:jedi::jedi::jedi:
natbornkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post
Said the board troll .......................so let me get this straight, you are the computer lawyer who does know what legality of the case. You go bye-bye now and see you on the next trolling opportunity.
He may be a troll, but he's right. Way too many people babbling about stuff they know nothing about.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #75 (permalink)

Why does UD want to control who profits from their product? How does UD benefit from that?

Currently hoarding mountains of cards that I should be trading.
lemur01 is offline   Reply With Quote