Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 08:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Upper Deck Responds to NBA's Trading Card Licensee Announcement

Upper Deck Responds to NBA's Trading Card Licensee Announcement

North Las Vegas, NV (January 27, 2009) While Upper Deck is disappointed with the NBA's decision to grant exclusive trading card rights to a new licensee, they are reinforcing their commitment to producing the highest quality, most innovative and value-rich basketball products.

"Our focus remains on delivering great products to the loyal collectors and consumers who have passionately supported Upper Deck basketball products. We are confident the remaining 2008-09 NBA sets will be some of the best our industry has ever seen," said Upper Deck's VP of Sports Bernd Becker.

Upper Deck was granted a license to produce NBA trading cards in 1991 and shortly thereafter became the dominant market share leader in the category. They currently hold exclusive, multi-year autograph contracts with Michael Jordan, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett.

Specific plans for the remaining 2008-2009 Upper Deck basketball brands will be announced in the coming weeks.
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Would it be safe to say the basketball card industry will be pretty much dead while panini hold the contract without Kobe, Lebron, and MJ? Also could this mean UD may increase the quality trying to deplete some of their inventory?
thebear29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Those are the current rumors. As for Panini..who knows. IF they're able to buy up Donruss or contract them to do the development it may not be that bad. Just a different name.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear29 View Post
Would it be safe to say the basketball card industry will be pretty much dead while panini hold the contract without Kobe, Lebron, and MJ? Also could this mean UD may increase the quality trying to deplete some of their inventory?
That's what I said when I heard about the panini deal. Just like how Donruss did with 2005 Absolute update, I'd watch for Upper Deck to do with Exquisite and Black.
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
That's what I said when I heard about the panini deal. Just like how Donruss did with 2005 Absolute update, I'd watch for Upper Deck to do with Exquisite and Black.
Donruss was supposed to load their last three BB products in 2005 and it was all garbage.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote