Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 06:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Three memorabilia dealers plead guilty to mail fraud in sales of fake game-used jerse

Three memorabilia dealers plead guilty to mail fraud in sales of fake game-used jerseys

November 21, 2011 at 9:38 PM

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

The New York Daily News reported on Monday night that three sports memorabilia dealers pleased guilty to mail fraud on Monday as part of a long-running investigation conducted by the FBI and other federal agencies.

The three dealers were Bernard Gernay of Howell, N.J., Bradley Horne of Sunset, S.C., and Jarrod Oldridge of Las Vegas, who, according to the story “acknowledged that they altered jerseys obtained from retail outlets and other sources to make them appear to be used in games by pro athletes.”

Oldridge is the owner of JO Sports Co., a company with deals in place with 14 NFL teams to sell game-used memorabilia. Gernay is the owner of Pro Sports Investments, while Horne is the owner of Authentic Sports Memorabilia Inc.

According to the report, each has entered plea agreements to cooperate with investigators and testify as witnesses in other sports memorabila fraud cases.

While no trading card companies were named in the Daily News report, the story indicated that the jerseys had been sold to the public as well as card companies to be cut up and placed into game-used memorabilia cards.

Typically, trading card licensors allow game-used equipment to be purchased only from authorized dealers and it is unclear at this time which card companies may have purchased from the dealers.

Three memorabilia dealers plead guilty to mail fraud in sales of fake game-used jerseys |
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowoutcards View Post
While no trading card companies were named in the Daily News report, the story indicated that the jerseys had been sold to the public as well as card companies to be cut up and placed into game-used memorabilia cards.

Typically, trading card licensors allow game-used equipment to be purchased only from authorized dealers and it is unclear at this time which card companies may have purchased from the dealers.
When it's made known which card companies purchased fake jerseys to cut up and insert into cards, I hope that a specific list of jerseys can also be made known. Otherwise, won't "ALL" memorabilia cards be suspect?

I have a feeling this is going to get ugly.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Aaron Send a message via Yahoo to Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
When it's made known which card companies purchased fake jerseys to cut up and insert into cards, I hope that a specific list of jerseys can also be made known. Otherwise, won't "ALL" memorabilia cards be suspect?

Yep. I think it is in the public's best interest to have the company names released. Maybe then it will trigger a change in how things have been done in the past so that the future can be better for the companies and collectors.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Wow Olds is actually doing something besides Tweeting about WWE all the time
armyatc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:

Ok Wheeler, not trying to stir up any shite-storm...just saw this in the comments. Do you know if this is true or not?

Quote:
dr. brian price gets alot of his “memorabilia” from some of those companies. uh oh spaghetti o’s
Old 11-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

here is the whole article!!!!

Memorabilia dealers plead guilty to selling counterfeit#@game-used jerseys to trading card companies#@ - NY Daily News

and read this!!!!!

Plea agreements filed in federal court on Monday say Gernay, Horne and Oldridge have agreed to provide information to investigators and testify in civil or criminal proceedings – which may mean that the dealers will be used by federal prosecutors as witnesses in cases against other memorabilia industry executives.

i wonder were this leads???? hopefully to richard mc douche bag from ud being arrested!!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
Ok Wheeler, not trying to stir up any shite-storm...just saw this in the comments. Do you know if this is true or not?
Here's is what Dr. Price had to say about it:

To Our Collectors

Although none of the names look familiar to me, we are researching our purchases during the time period.

Typically, we don't buy hockey jerseys from these types of individuals or companies.

We source jerseys from legitimate sources and have our own authenticator who has years and years of experience including working for the Hall of Fame.

Can someone get fooled, I guess, nobody is perfect.

We got fooled once accepting a COA from the NHLPA for a goalie jersey that was supposed to be game-worn but was game-issued, but we found our mistake and redeemed the single card made. I still have the jersey with one piece cut out of it.

I doubt if the other manufacturers will come on the boards to discuss this point, but I welcome them too. We have been making game-used hockey memorabilia cards since 1998 and take our game-used jerseys very seriously.

I have been a collector of hockey jerseys for over 20 years, am I an expert, no but I know enough to have experts around me.

Most of these individuals and companies dealt in baseball and football and as I mentioned earlier, don't look familiar to me.

To take the actions of a few criminals and paint it all over the legitimate hobby is not fair.

The state that photo-shoot jerseys are better collectables than game-worn is pure non-sense.

Again, these are my opinions and I am sure others have theirs.

Anyone who has been to our offices can attest to the fact that we take the term "game-worn" very, very, very seriously.

Brian Price
Old 11-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Here's is what Dr. Price had to say about it:

To Our Collectors

Although none of the names look familiar to me, we are researching our purchases during the time period.

Typically, we don't buy hockey jerseys from these types of individuals or companies.

We source jerseys from legitimate sources and have our own authenticator who has years and years of experience including working for the Hall of Fame.

Can someone get fooled, I guess, nobody is perfect.

We got fooled once accepting a COA from the NHLPA for a goalie jersey that was supposed to be game-worn but was game-issued, but we found our mistake and redeemed the single card made. I still have the jersey with one piece cut out of it.

I doubt if the other manufacturers will come on the boards to discuss this point, but I welcome them too. We have been making game-used hockey memorabilia cards since 1998 and take our game-used jerseys very seriously.

I have been a collector of hockey jerseys for over 20 years, am I an expert, no but I know enough to have experts around me.

Most of these individuals and companies dealt in baseball and football and as I mentioned earlier, don't look familiar to me.

To take the actions of a few criminals and paint it all over the legitimate hobby is not fair.

The state that photo-shoot jerseys are better collectables than game-worn is pure non-sense.

Again, these are my opinions and I am sure others have theirs.

Anyone who has been to our offices can attest to the fact that we take the term "game-worn" very, very, very seriously.

Brian Price
where did that quote come from?
Old 11-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

This is where we find out 80 percent of the memorabilia are fakes..

Define "irony": a bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane, to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash -Garland Greene
FavresReturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricefan77 View Post
where did that quote come from?
From another forum.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Hey,maybe Wheeler was on to something.. How about this for a scenario: The larger companies such as UD and Topps have bought from these sources, where Price has absolutely no ties to any of these fraudulent items. Imagine the value of Sport Kings and ITG items then? Interesting....Egg on all of our faces
Old 11-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdaddy7 View Post
Hey,maybe Wheeler was on to something.. How about this for a scenario: The larger companies such as UD and Topps have bought from these sources, where Price has absolutely no ties to any of these fraudulent items. Imagine the value of Sport Kings and ITG items then? Interesting....Egg on all of our faces
While that would mean happy days for my collection, I won't hold my breath until more light is shed on all of this.

I think a whole lot more will be coming out over the next few years. There won't be any easy fixes, and I fear this hobby might take a painful hit. If so, I hope it comes out stronger than ever.

Live, learn, and become better for doing so.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

A few things come to mind.....

1. I highly doubt there will be a list of Jerseys released that were fake, and who they were sold to. I could see there being a few examples though.

2. There were much bigger fish to fry at the Nationals. Most notably Kevin Burge, who is notorious for faking patches and autographs. From Bowman Chrome Pujols backdoored to the entire Fleer Legacy /799 run being auto'd now (first 100 were supposed to be), to the fake Buybacks from UD and Topps, the card world could've been saved.

3. Dr Price saying:
"I doubt if the other manufacturers will come on the boards to discuss this point, but I welcome them too. We have been making game-used hockey memorabilia cards since 1998 and take our game-used jerseys very seriously.'

The entire tone of his post makes it seem like he's better than the rest. I am assuming that he doesn't wish to talk about RAZOR products anymore, and all of the cut signatures that were though to be fakes? Do you have a team of experts for those too? Were you fooled?

Just remember, you use Blowoutcards as a platform to sell your products. Also to help weather the storms that were caused by doing many things that the card world has frowned upon. That is why you're on here.

Someone should make a list of the things Razor had done wrong, as UD has done wrong.
mcgahee21nfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tai

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgahee21nfl View Post

1. I highly doubt there will be a list of Jerseys released that were fake, and who they were sold to. I could see there being a few examples though.

2. There were much bigger fish to fry at the Nationals. Most notably Kevin Burge, who is notorious for faking patches and autographs. From Bowman Chrome Pujols backdoored to the entire Fleer Legacy /799 run being auto'd now (first 100 were supposed to be), to the fake Buybacks from UD and Topps, the card world could've been saved.

3. Dr Price saying:
"I doubt if the other manufacturers will come on the boards to discuss this point, but I welcome them too. We have been making game-used hockey memorabilia cards since 1998 and take our game-used jerseys very seriously.'

The entire tone of his post makes it seem like he's better than the rest. I am assuming that he doesn't wish to talk about RAZOR products anymore, and all of the cut signatures that were though to be fakes? Do you have a team of experts for those too? Were you fooled?

Just remember, you use Blowoutcards as a platform to sell your products. Also to help weather the storms that were caused by doing many things that the card world has frowned upon. That is why you're on here.

Someone should make a list of the things Razor had done wrong, as UD has done wrong.
I believe you are mistaking Brian Grey with Dr. Price. 2 different people here.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai View Post
I believe you are mistaking Brian Grey with Dr. Price. 2 different people here.
No, that was attributed to Price - check a few posts up.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to davebo

Does anyone really believe that all those white swatches that get put in cards were real anyway? If so, I have a bridge to sell you.
davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
It might have been attributed to Dr. Price, but it was attributed wrongfully.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
It might have been attributed to Dr. Price, but it was attributed wrongfully.
I stand corrected, then.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:

3. Dr Price saying:

FYI...Dr. Price has absolutely nothing to do with Razor. If you want to complain about the owner of Razor, make sure you know his name first. It is NOT Dr. Brian Price.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
I stand corrected, then.
No worries. Mcgahee21nfl's post is pretty confusing since he doesn't know his facts.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebo View Post
Does anyone really believe that all those white swatches that get put in cards were real anyway? If so, I have a bridge to sell you.
Sadly, I believe many collectors think they are real. Some of them probably have suspicions but "want" to believe they are real.

As MeiGray put it:

...we applaud the Federal Bureau of Investigation for its four-year investigation into fraud in the sports memorabilia industry, especially now that the investigation has focused on game-worn jerseys.

http://www.meigray.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=static/Newsroom.vm&ctl_nbr=2381&siId=5855942&scId=6991&page=newsitem&catParentID=$catParentID

Now that the light has been shed, perhaps collectors will become more informed.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
Tai

Quote:
Sorry, I was referencing his opinion that Dr. Price's reputation was linked to anything Razor has done in the past(2 diff. people). Dr. Price makes a quality product and is one of the few heads of company actually willing to speak out which means something to me as a collector. Brian Gray is slowly coming along as well as he was the first to speak out about this.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Most notably Kevin Burge,.
How I hope this scumbag does serious prison time. He'll be tossed around like a ping pong ball in the joint.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #24 (permalink)

I smell a class action lawsuit, I'm in!!
Check out my photobucket by clicking on my homepage in the drop down list under my username. Looking for any Twins cards I don't have, and Mickey Mantle refractors that I don't have. I will trade for bait, on occasion. 2011 Topps Chrome auto set completed!!
stumpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:58 AM   #25 (permalink)

Ha I got a little careless and implied that was written by Brian Gray of Razor/Leaf. My facts are straight, I just made a mistake. Sorry about that!
mcgahee21nfl is offline   Reply With Quote