Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default TRISTAR MiLB News You Can Use - Futures Game Edition

TRISTAR MiLB News You Can Use - Futures Game Edition

Kyle Drabek, SP, Philadelphia
It’s been a long road to Reading for Kyle Drabek, but he has finally arrived. After being drafted in the 2006 First-Year Player Draft by Philadelphia, expectations were high due to his lofty draft status, 18th overall, and his bloodlines, with his Cy Young Award-winning father, Doug Drabek. Initially he did not disappoint. Drabek was named to the South Atlantic League All Star Team in his first full professional season. Yet soon thereafter his rise to stardom was delayed, as he was in need of complete elbow reconstruction surgery, and his career was in jeopardy. But while many pitchers who undergo Tommy John surgery struggle to return to form, he has thrived. Kyle Drabek made his return to Single-A this season and dominated once again with a 4-1 record and a 2.48 ERA, thus garnering him a promotion to Double-A Reading. Since then he has been mowing down the Eastern League competition with a fastball that touches 97mph, and a truly devastating curveball, while also showing a slider and changeup at times. Drabek is now 5-0 for Reading with a 2.70 ERA over his 46.2 innings. He has been so impressive that he was named to this season’s Futures Game roster. In the 7-5 World team victory on Sunday afternoon, Drabek was the second pitcher to appear for the United States team, and one of only three pitchers to throw a perfect inning in the game. Using a mere ten pitches, Drabek recorded a ground out, fly out, and a called third strike on Luis Durango that left Durango in disbelief as he walked back to the World team dugout. The rise to stardom that everyone expected is coming to fruition for Kyle Drabek. It may have taken a few years to reach Reading, but it doesn’t seem that he’ll be there for long as his stunning comeback story continues to roll on.

TRISTAR CARD CHECKLIST
2007 Elegance #SM-KD, #SM-JPJPKD, #ST-KD
2006 Prospects Plus #34, #FH-KD, #FH-ACKD, #FH-CKKD, #FH-3, #FT-4

Alcides Escobar, SS, Milwaukee
Defense has always been Alicides Escobar’s specialty, but during Sunday’s Futures Game in St. Louis, Escobar showed the national television audience that he can swing the bat just as well. As the leadoff hitter and starting shortstop for the World team, Escobar was the only player in the game to have multiple hits and runs scored. By going 2 for 4 on the day with two runs scored, Escobar was able to outshine his amazing glove work with his bat. And although he didn’t have a chance to show it yesterday, Escobar is tremendous on the base paths as well, racking up 30 stolen bases already this season. His skill set has drawn favorable comparisons to Jose Reyes due to their shared defensive prowess, amazing arm strength and raw speed. In fact, seven years ago, Reyes was the starting shortstop for the World team and was named the 2002 Futures Game MVP, largely due to his bat rather than his other already-major league-ready defensive skills. The talent and the story sound eerily similar to Escobar’s, but it remains to be seen if the young Venezuelan can match Reyes’ career path. If the major league scouts’ opinions are any indication, the future looks bright for Escobar.

TRISTAR CARD CHECKLIST
2008 PROjections High # Series #261

Desmond Jennings, CF, Tampa Bay
Even when he goes 0 for 3 on the day, Desmond Jennings can still make a remarkable impact on a game. Despite his seemingly innocuous box score line in Sunday’s Futures Game, Jennings reached base twice, scored a run, and stole three bases, all while not garnering a single hit in the game. Jennings reached via a base on balls in his second at-bat, and proceeded to steal his way to third base, scoring an easy run on Pittsburgh prospect Pedro Alvarez’s single in the third inning. In his final at-bat on the day, Jennings hit a ground ball to third base, but recognizing his speed out of the batter’s box, Dayan Viciedo made a throwing error that allowed Jennings to advance to second. And once again, Jennings put himself in position to be a sacrifice fly away from scoring by stealing third base. This was far from an isolated performance for the Southern League’s most exciting player. So far this season, Jennings is hitting .313 with 7 HRs, 41 RBI, and 32 stolen bases, all while patrolling centerfield for the Montgomery Biscuits at a Gold Glove-caliber level. A good prospect shines when everything clicks, but a great prospect shines even when he struggles in one facet of his game. Desmond Jennings embodies the definition of a great prospect.

TRISTAR CARD CHECKLIST
2008 PROjections High # Series #399
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Here's a link to my Drabek rookie autos, memorabilia, and auto memorabilia cards. Get them now before prices go way up!

mwheeler27's Cards matching: kyle drabek - CheckOutMyCards.com
Old 07-15-2009, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

LOL. If this were "MiLB News I Could Use" then it would be an article about the players in the Futures game that did the best, not just a few guys that Tristar made cards of that happened to play in the game. Drabek did fine, but his 1 inning hardly makes him one of the stars of the game. Two others pitched 1 perfect inning too, where's their paragraphs? Jhoulys Chacin struck out 2 in his inning. Where is Rene Tosoni's paragraph? I suppose the game's MVP doesn't matter if Tristar doesn't have a card made of him. Jason Castro's 3-run homer? Doesn't matter.

But Desmond Jennings 0-3 performance with 2 strikeouts? Noteworthy.

If anything this fluff piece just shows how few of today's best minor leaguers have been featured on Tristar cards.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

It only takes a couple of these Tristar minor leaguers to make it to the big show in order to make money off of Tristar products. Even Longoria made me my money back, and Chamberlain, Hochevar, Upton, Gordon, Lincecum, etc., etc., have all been gravy.

Tristar makes these announcements each time one of "their guys" does something noteworthy. I actually like the updates.

Now if only I could buy pop, alcohol and drugs from Tristar. LOL