Blowout Cards Forums
ebay event 8.25.14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Brock Lesnar Gets Revenge, Collectors Get No Certified Autos

Brock Lesnar Gets Revenge, Collectors Get No Certified Autos

UFC Heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar defended his title against Frank Mir in the main event of the ballyhooed UFC 100 pay per view Saturday, doing so with revenge on his mind and zero certified autographs on his checklist.

The former World Wrestling Entertainment phenomenon, who also tried his hand at the National Football League before entering mixed martial arts, avenged the only loss of his five-fight MMA career in brutal fashion with a second-round TKO.

Lesnar, arguably the most decorated crossover athlete in trading card history, has appeared on 54 licensed trading cards across three major organizations – the WWE, the NFL and now the UFC. Yet his first certified autograph, a card that most certainly would rank as a product-making coup driving sales and upward price guide values, remains the bane of many a product developer’s existence.

“His first certified autograph would be a $250 card, easy,” said one industry executive with intimate knowledge of the autograph acquisition process. “And right now, considering the incredible hype surrounding him and his fight at UFC 100, that number probably is extremely conservative.”

According to a source close to the development of Topps’ wildly successful UFC Round 1 and its anticipated follow up set to release in August, the reason Lesnar’s signatures are so elusive can be summed up in two words: Vince McMahon.

As the story goes, Lesnar allegedly was forced to sign so many autographs as part of his contract with the WWE that he grew tired of the practice and now essentially refuses to do so, at least in quantity. Another rumored explanation is that Lesnar’s per-autograph cost is simply too cost-prohibitive for manufacturers.

Whether or not those explanations are valid doesn’t change the fact that one of the most accomplished professional athletes of the 21st century has no autographed trading cards. Highlighting what he does have are 11 memorabilia cards – ranging in value from $8-$50 – from a handful of WWE Fleer products, four 2004 NFL Rookie Cards (Sweet Spot #203 at $25 and Playoff Honors #173 at $20 are his best) and a $60 2004 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity Holofoil parallel limited to just 25 copies.

Lesnar’s best UFC card to date, a Silver parallel of his base issue limited to 288 copies and chronicling his February 2008 debut against Mir, is currently valued at $7.50.

-Beckett
blowoutcards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

He's not one of the most accomplished athletes of the 21st century. He failed in the NFL and he was a roid machine in the WWE. He's so much smaller now than he was in the WWE it's ridiculous. One of the most accomplished athletes of the 21st century my *ss. That would mean he's in a category with these guys:

Sidney Crosby
LeBron James
Kobe Bryant
Albert Pujols
Peyton Manning
Ben Roethlisberger
Roger Federer
Lance Armstrong
Williams Sisters
Tiger Woods
Brock Lesnar??????

Get real.
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to bigboysoffootball

He's a jerk and a moron anyway I can't stand the guy. The only fans he has are guys that liked him when he was with the WWE. His stand-up is ok at best his ground game is a JOKE and by ground game I don't mean laying your 300 Pound butt on a guy and hit him in the face till the Ref stops the fight. And a side note what the HELL was Mir thinking in that fight he should have stayed away and pound him with leg kicks Mir's a much better than that he was not thinking strait.
bigboysoffootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well if he signed so much stuff in the WWE, then these companies should just buy some of that stuff (which would be much cheaper than getting him to sign now) and insert them as cut autos.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradolson View Post
Well if he signed so much stuff in the WWE, then these companies should just buy some of that stuff (which would be much cheaper than getting him to sign now) and insert them as cut autos.
Somebody get Brad a JOB at Topps, UD, Pannini, etc.

Now Collecting: Ken Griffey Jr. & Kevin Garnett
guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Thats weird, Eric is right, get him a job at Ud
u_want_my_cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

If you were to ever meet him or listen to him for any extended period, you would know that he is not a jerk or a moron. He was a national champion wrestler in college, one of the biggest stars in the WWE at the time, failed at NFL football (which he hadn't played since highschool) and the current UFC heavyweight champ. If he is a moron, what does that make Mir, who should have, as you said, "stayed away and pound(ed) him with leg kicks"? And what takes more athleticism? Hitting a little white ball with a club, then have someone carry those clubs for you? Or lifting up a 250 lb man and tossing him around like a rag doll?
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoldy97 View Post
If you were to ever meet him or listen to him for any extended period, you would know that he is not a jerk or a moron.
a recent bout of ugly behavior tells a different story:

Say Hello To The Bad Guy: The Illest Sports Villains In The Game

Funny other villains in that article btw.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

He's the latest fad, pure and simple. I'm not saying I don't like him or enjoying watching him, but don't crown him the next MJ or Gretzky.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Why would they crown him the next MJ or Gretzky? Those are entirely different "sports"?
Old 07-15-2009, 07:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

I think they just meant successful crossover athlete even though the NFL was a failure. I think if he had kept at the NFL he might have made it and been ok not great. I don't blame him for giving it a shot and it not working out then going back to what he knows he can do and make money at. I think alot of these guy's use the Bad Boy persona for publicity and money period not everyday life. You know Dana White was all over him for what he did but secretly seeing Dollar Signs lol. I thought he was supposed to have an Auto in the new UFC set and it was pictured on the Topps website or an idea of what it'd look like. I can't see Dana White letting him back out of that deal even if he does hate the fans because it would really look bad for UFC.
icemansg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjustinfarrell View Post
Why would they crown him the next MJ or Gretzky? Those are entirely different "sports"?
Because of this quote:

"Whether or not those explanations are valid doesn’t change the fact that one of the most accomplished professional athletes of the 21st century has no autographed trading cards"

So he's accomplished as much as some of the greatest athletes of this century by their accounts.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to imthegrinch Send a message via Yahoo to imthegrinch

wow haters galore for him lol
imthegrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

solt, you broke that down plain and simple, I totally agree. According to Dana though, MMA is going to be bigger than world wide soccer (football) LOL

In a few years we won't mention this guys name and we'll still be watching Tiger win majors and hopefully Big Ben loosing Brady in the AFC playoffs

Collecting Brandon Phillips, Barry Larkin and Jesse Winker
Bigblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:27 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboysoffootball View Post
He's a jerk and a moron anyway I can't stand the guy. The only fans he has are guys that liked him when he was with the WWE. His stand-up is ok at best his ground game is a JOKE and by ground game I don't mean laying your 300 Pound butt on a guy and hit him in the face till the Ref stops the fight. And a side note what the HELL was Mir thinking in that fight he should have stayed away and pound him with leg kicks Mir's a much better than that he was not thinking strait.

did you watch the first fight ? leg kicks ? ha yeah right. that would not work. brock just caught the leg took him to the ground and beat the hell out of him until the referee stopped the fight without warning. there normally is at least one warning before the fight is stopped because of shots to the back of the head.

his fan base is alot wider then just wwe fans

he layed on the guy and hit him in the face ? well thats what was working so why would he try something different. he won the fight plain and simple.

mir won the first, would you say oh he got lucky with that leg lock ?

also to say he is the latest fad ? are you kidding me ? this guy just entered a sport like 2 minutes ago and has destroyed everyone. the only 2 guys i can see beatinh him are barnett and fedor and neither have ufc contracts.

i can understand his behavior saturday night, he is sick of all the doubters. the "wwe" comments. this guy is legitamate athlete and he is here to stay

i would not put him in that list of athletes just yet. but this guy has accomlised quite a bit in such a short amount of time
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
He's not one of the most accomplished athletes of the 21st century. He failed in the NFL and he was a roid machine in the WWE. He's so much smaller now than he was in the WWE it's ridiculous. One of the most accomplished athletes of the 21st century my *ss. That would mean he's in a category with these guys:

Sidney Crosby
LeBron James
Kobe Bryant
Albert Pujols
Peyton Manning
Ben Roethlisberger
Roger Federer
Lance Armstrong
Williams Sisters
Tiger Woods
Brock Lesnar??????

Get real.
Perfect post except instead of the overrated Roethlisberger you should have had Tom Brady.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #17 (permalink)

Come on Tim give him his due. Big Ben might not have been much of a factor in his first SB win but he showed his greatness in taking them down the field late to win the second one last year. Something that a lot of the more seasoned QBs, McNabb for one, could not do. He already has two Lombardi's and is now just reaching his prime years. Unless he gets hurt he will only get better and better.

I don't like Lesnar, never have because I'm not a big fan of guys who got/get ahead by juicing but the guy is good at what he does. He doesn't have the martial arts training background but his is more then accomplished at wrestling, the real wrestling. He is pretty quick for his size and can shoot to take you down and unless he gets sloppy and submitted will probably stay on you and pound you out. Would like to see what kind of jaw he has ? I bet its not that solid.

Alot of the all-time greats are now gone in that division so he may be on top for awhile. Sucks but it is what it is....

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Come on Tim give him his due. Big Ben might not have been much of a factor in his first SB win but he showed his greatness in taking them down the field late to win the second one last year. Something that a lot of the more seasoned QBs, McNabb for one, could not do. He already has two Lombardi's and is now just reaching his prime years. Unless he gets hurt he will only get better and better.

I don't like Lesnar, never have because I'm not a big fan of guys who got/get ahead by juicing but the guy is good at what he does. He doesn't have the martial arts training background but his is more then accomplished at wrestling, the real wrestling. He is pretty quick for his size and can shoot to take you down and unless he gets sloppy and submitted will probably stay on you and pound you out. Would like to see what kind of jaw he has ? I bet its not that solid.

Alot of the all-time greats are now gone in that division so he may be on top for awhile. Sucks but it is what it is....
wrestling is a martial art and he did not get ahead by juicing. he worked hard. "juice" does not make you a champion
Old 07-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Give him his due? You honestly think "Big Ben" belongs in there with all those other elite guys? Ahead of Brady?!?!

You compare BB to McNabb, so of course BB looks good next to him! BB sucked in the first SB; and he kicked ass in ONE super bowl. BB is a very good QB who does what is asked of him on a defensive juggernaut of a team. No WAY is he in the upper echelon of elite sports superstars like the rest of them.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mma138 View Post
wrestling is a martial art and he did not get ahead by juicing. he worked hard. "juice" does not make you a champion
*Greco-Roman wrestling is considered a martial art. Thats news to me. So is boxing.

Lesnar made his name by juicing into some comic book sized super hero in the WWE so don't kid yourself. Without the juice there is no WWE fame and probably nothing else that followed. Even his old lady is a product of the WWE. Sorry if he is your hero but I have no respect for people like him.

Last edited by BAMBAM; 07-16-2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: looked it up for myself
Old 07-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Give him his due? You honestly think "Big Ben" belongs in there with all those other elite guys? Ahead of Brady?!?!

You compare BB to McNabb, so of course BB looks good next to him! BB sucked in the first SB; and he kicked ass in ONE super bowl. BB is a very good QB who does what is asked of him on a defensive juggernaut of a team. No WAY is he in the upper echelon of elite sports superstars like the rest of them.
Tim didn't say he was better then Brady, just said he isn't as out of place on that list as you made it sound.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:34 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mma138 View Post
WWE Photo:

MMA Photo:

Juice does not make you a champion? Tell that to Barry Bonds, the HR Champion.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:51 AM   #23 (permalink)

i stand by my statement "steroids will not make you a champion"

barry bonds has the home run record becasue of steroids ? i laugh at that.
why ? if this is the case then why hasnt jason giambi and sammy sosa, mark mckgwire etc.etc. how come they dont have the record ? why is it that the other 5,000 mlb players that have taken steroids not hit over 700 home runs ?

here is your answer they are not BARRY BONDS that is why !!!!!!!!

so your also saying that if say ? brandon vera began taking steroids he could be ufc heavyweight champion too ? come on get real.

lesnar is not my hero, but i am a fan and admire the hard work he has put it to get where he is today.

i will admit that steroids do help , of course they do. but they are not the sole reason for the success of some of these athletes.

brock is still a very big human being. there is a drastic difference in the images posted above. they are tested in the ufc. so a major decrease in size was expected. also just becasue he passed the drug tests does not mean he is clean. drug users pass tests all the time , marion jones is a perfect example
Old 07-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #24 (permalink)

Barry Bonds is the home run champion because of steroids and I stand by that. McGwire could have been the home run champ easily but injuries played a part in that.

Bonds had slightly more talent when it came to contact than the other guys and the steroids combined with a good eye helped him get to where he got. Bonds just outlasted those other guys plain and simple. The cream and the clear also helped keep him going as they would heal his muscles quicker.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:58 AM   #25 (permalink)

Barry Bonds went from average power in Pittsburgh to light tower power in San Fran so yes roids did HELP him become the HR king. Balls that would be warning track fly outs became HRs. Period.