Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default eBay Autograph Sales Draw Fire From Large NCAA Football Programs

eBay Autograph Sales Draw Fire From Large NCAA Football Programs

Major NCAA football powers know that their legions of fans want to get up close and football with the players they watch every Saturday - and that includes getting autographs. They just aren't too crazy about seeing those same signed items auctioned off right away online, so they're starting to do something about it.

Schools from the SEC, Big 12 and Big Ten have all taken steps to avoid the immediate resale of autographs on eBay and other sites, attempting to ensure that supporters still receive the contact they crave while cracking down on those who are only out to make a quick buck. The colleges consider their actions to be unfortunate but necessary given the realities of today's memorabilia scene.

The most common deterrent is to simply limit the number or type of items that can be signed at meet-and-greets and fan appreciation days. Oklahoma now allows each fan to bring just one piece to be autographed at its fan day, while Georgia permits two items per person.

The Bulldogs also encourage players to personalize every signature. As longtime collectors know, that practice can make it difficult to turn around and flip the autograph for a profit.

Other colleges have had to come up with even more restrictive policies. After a deluge of memorabilia signed by Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Tim Tebow ended up online, Florida decided to provide a team poster for its event this year and put a moratorium on all outside items.

"Fans used to bring in all sorts of stuff to be signed, from balls to helmets and jerseys. The next day it would appear for sale on eBay," said Jamie McCloskey, Florida's senior associate athletics director for compliance, to USA Today. "We've had fans complain, and for good reasons, but entrepreneurs were abusing the opportunity."

Pro athletes from all sports have been aware of the practice and reselling autographs for years, and many have been combating it on their own. It's become increasingly common for players to refuse to sign certain things or simply to charge fees that make it cost prohibitive for profiteers to make any money.

At the college level, it's still a relatively young phenomenon and awareness of it is growing over time. On top of trying to keep things fair for the football players, the schools also want to avoid any appearance that NCAA regulations are not being followed.

Autograph sessions are permitted by current NCAA rules, but the question of who gets the proceeds from sale of the signed items is a potentially thorny one that schools would just as well avoid.
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm glad they are doing this....they are absolutely right-people are only out there to make that quick buck! You can see perfect examples of this right here on BO!
Highcheese4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

You're right. But at the same time the college's only reasoning behind this is that they aren't getting any money from sales. It's a no-win for fans, players, and schools.
mrknife79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

you know i can agree in ways with the ncaa , but when i see things like steve nash today in the paper sign for 11 million dollars a year , so what if somebody wants to make money off of it and not have to pay a fee for there auto!

Always looking for vintage sports cards of any sport and auto memorabilia at a good price of course
bigroger1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger1980 View Post
you know i can agree in ways with the ncaa , but when i see things like steve nash today in the paper sign for 11 million dollars a year , so what if sa middle class hard worker wants to make money off of it and not have to pay a fee for there auto!
but ncaa also makes so much money off these athletes as well its a joke

Always looking for vintage sports cards of any sport and auto memorabilia at a good price of course
bigroger1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fsu2007

I have been to Florida State's fan day for the past 4 years and have a blast. I get a team signed helmet for the PC but you see people that are there to sell the stuff. I don't see it as a big deal alot of those people are putting in 2 to 4 hours waiting in line getting autos. For a lot of people this is a job 4 hours of waiting to make a $60-80 profit is $15-20 an hour of work. We are in hard economic times and any little bit helps.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

As a person who obtains autos in person and resells some, that's a huge crock of crap! If somebody is willing to sign, sell, and purchase an item, then so be it. If athletes don't want/will to sign, I understand that, but come on. These college kids while not making a lot of money now will recoup in the future!

The problem is that everybody tries to rip everybody off!
MrSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Personally, I don't think the schools are opposed to people selling signed items for profit as much as they are irritated that it's not them making the profit.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
ND3

As a former college athlete I believe the NCAA is most controlling sports governing body on the planet. Since they have no way to regulate players signing and they (the NCAA) want their piece of the action. The NCAA always preaches they look to protect the well being of college athletes but it boils down to money. Yes colleges and universities make tons of money off of student athletes....but in return most get a free or discounted education. College athletes are not professionals. Get your degree and if your skills are good enough to turn pro then you can earn your living playing a sport you love.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrknife79 View Post
You're right. But at the same time the college's only reasoning behind this is that they aren't getting any money from sales. It's a no-win for fans, players, and schools.
The schools don't need any more money than what they've already got.
RedSox82696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND3 View Post
As a former college athlete I believe the NCAA is most controlling sports governing body on the planet.

Sorry but I have to disagree. The Iranian Soccer committee whips and imprisons their players when they return without cups ... LOL.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote