Blowout Cards Forums
Draft Kings

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Topps Takes Strides to Thwart Counterfeiters

Topps Takes Strides to Thwart Counterfeiters

In an effort to crack down on the growing number of Rookie Premiere Autographs singles bearing forged signatures, Topps officials have announced a procedural change in the way those cards – and others like them – will be handled in the authentication process.

The company revealed to Beckett Media that, going forward, all certified Rookie Premiere Autographs will be sequentially numbered in foil after they are signed.

“We take this issue very seriously and it’s something we’ve been looking into for some time,” said Clay Luraschi, Topps’ Director of Product Development. “We understand how important these specific cards are to collectors and the hobby community, so it is vital that we take measures to give collectors peace of mind.”

Since the history-making inception of Topps’ Rookie Premiere Autographs in 2000, the cards have annually become among the most sought after featuring the NFL’s top rookies. That overwhelming popularity, combined with the existence of unsigned “player’s issue” personal-use cards distributed to the rookies each year, have created ideal conditions for unscrupulous counterfeiters.

In essence, some of the special cards (those produced through 2005 featured no marked differences from their in-pack counterparts) intended to help the players enjoy collecting and trading with each other have ended up on the open market unsigned and without Topps’ 3M authentication hologram sticker (Topps ceased using the hologram stickers in 2008).

From there, all foul-intentioned collectors need to do the deed are a Staedtler pen and a peeled authentication sticker from a less-desirable (and less-expensive) Topps autograph.

It’s worth noting that in 2006, Topps added a “Player’s Issue” notation to the card backs (they moved that to the card fronts in 2007) to help differentiate the personal-use cards from their in-pack counterparts. That seemed to help eliminate some of the forgeries, but nowhere near enough of them.

Topps officials are hopeful that this new step will go a long way to rectifying a less-than-ideal situation.

Luraschi notes that only the autograph cards will be numbered in foil. The unsigned versions will not be numbered. “This way a collector will be able to immediately recognize the card’s authenticity,” he said.
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Good for Topps finally taking action on these. I'm sure all the threads about this on basically every message board out there pointing out the fakes finally did some good. And with Beckett covering it, hopefully word gets out so fewer people get scammed by the cards already out there.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Foil stamped serial numbering?!?! Genius!!! Who knew this technology even existed!! Kudos for Topps for correcting this oversight after 8 years

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

They shouldn't have let the unsigned cards leave the warehouse in the first place. Even with serial numbered cards, non-serial numbered auto's will appear if they let them escape out the backdoor.

-I do not send paypal payments as a gift, you pay your fee's and I will pay mine-
www.JLR0747.com
Twitter: @JLR0747
JLR0747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR0747 View Post
They shouldn't have let the unsigned cards leave the warehouse in the first place. Even with serial numbered cards, non-serial numbered auto's will appear if they let them escape out the backdoor.
No, actually those were the cards that they would give to the players at the rookie photo shoot. Their "first cards" to give to their family and friends. Each player normally would receive 100 or so of their card.

My neighbor wrote in to J.J. Redick, telling him he was a fan of his during his rookie season. So J.J. wrote him back and send him one of these signed.

Now Collecting: Ken Griffey Jr. & Kevin Garnett
guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
No, actually those were the cards that they would give to the players at the rookie photo shoot. Their "first cards" to give to their family and friends. Each player normally would receive 100 or so of their card.

My neighbor wrote in to J.J. Redick, telling him he was a fan of his during his rookie season. So J.J. wrote him back and send him one of these signed.
I know about the player issued cards, that's a problem, they should not give that many out. However, there were other ways of obtaining unsigned cards as well. They were/are everywhere.

-I do not send paypal payments as a gift, you pay your fee's and I will pay mine-
www.JLR0747.com
Twitter: @JLR0747
JLR0747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

One step forward!! Now Topps, tell me how many RED autos there are before I spend more money
I asked Topps and they said, "We are happy you like the Red autos but, sorry we do not release that kind of information"