Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
 
blowoutcards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,290
Default Upper Deck’s Richard McWilliam: ‘We’ll Continue to Produce Cards Worth Collecting’

Upper Deck’s Richard McWilliam: ‘We’ll Continue to Produce Cards Worth Collecting’

Richard McWilliam interacts with collectors at a recent Upper Deck Diamond Club event.
In a topsy-turvy year during which Upper Deck has lost its NBA and MLB Properties licenses and gained an exclusive with the CLC, all while continuing to cope with a sluggish economy, it’s understandable that company CEO Richard McWilliam would have a lot on his mind.

In an exclusive interview appearing in the November issue of Beckett Sports Card Monthly, McWilliam addresses, among other things, his company’s first 20 years, its plans for baseball, basketball (and even golf), the NHL exclusive and those pesky redemption cards.

You can get the complete interview next month in BSCM. For now, here’s a sneak peek:


Q: The industry is quite different now than 1989 when Upper Deck arrived. Given that and the current state of the economy, how would you assess your company’s position in the industry?
A: When Upper Deck debuted in 1989, we revolutionized the industry. And we’ve continuously brought innovation and unique content to it over the past 20 years. Times are tough for everyone right now and our industry is no different. Hobby shops are hurting and collectors simply don’t have as much disposable income to spend on trading cards anymore. We understand the economic climate, and we’ll continue to produce cards that are worth collecting. I believe these challenges are new opportunities for Upper Deck to revolutionize the industry again.

Q: Do you feel that being able to produce an unlicensed baseball set is an advantage in today’s marketplace? If so, any ideas you can share?
A: There certainly are some advantages that we are exploring at this time. They would include the use of certain players that Major League Baseball has prohibited us from using in the past. We look forward to sharing some of these plans with collectors over the next few months as I know they will all be excited about what we have in store for them.

Q: Do you plan to continue issuing basketball cards even though Panini has an exclusive license from the NBA?
A: Yes, we absolutely do. How can we not produce basketball cards when we have the most collectible players in Michael Jordan and LeBron James on board as exclusive Upper Deck spokesmen?

Q: Does Upper Deck have any plans to venture into other sports like boxing, wrestling, and racing? Are there any plans to produce another golf product?
A: Yes, we are certainly moving in that direction. And with Tiger Woods on board as an exclusive autograph signer, another golf trading card product is something we are hoping to bring to fruition as early as 2010.

-Beckett.com
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,878
Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA
Default

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,199
Default

Woo Hoo!

And the barrier between licensed and unlicensed cards is beginning to fall down. I keep telling you guys that one day soon it simply won't matter if a card company has a license or not. What will matter is the player on the card and how attractive and/or interesting that card is.
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,878
Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Woo Hoo!

And the barrier between licensed and unlicensed cards is beginning to fall down. I keep telling you guys that one day soon it simply won't matter if a card company has a license or not. What will matter is the player on the card and how attractive and/or interesting that card is.
like..........dare i say it?...........SPORTKINGS!
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
BAMBAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 8,408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Woo Hoo!

And the barrier between licensed and unlicensed cards is beginning to fall down. I keep telling you guys that one day soon it simply won't matter if a card company has a license or not. What will matter is the player on the card and how attractive and/or interesting that card is.
Its like that now Wheels, UD isn't breaking down any barriers and they better load these products or they will tank. Airbrushed logos are not that attractive and it has be proven in sales of non-liscensed product. Donruss made some very nice non-liscensed baseball products and look at the price of that stuff now. Same with Razor. There's an old saying in construction, you can't shine sh*t. UD will soon find that out if they think they can just put out the same garbage at the same cost without a liscense.
__________________
IF YOU CAN'T TAKE AN HONEST REPLY THEN DON'T ASK.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Its like that now Wheels, UD isn't breaking down any barriers and they better load these products or they will tank. Airbrushed logos are not that attractive and it has be proven in sales of non-liscensed product. Donruss made some very nice non-liscensed baseball products and look at the price of that stuff now. Same with Razor. There's an old saying in construction, you can't shine sh*t. UD will soon find that out if they think they can just put out the same garbage at the same cost without a liscense.
Bam,

It's like your paragraph contradicted itself. First you say it's like that now, and then you elude to it not working.

My point is that one day prices will be paid for who's on the card and how creative the card is as apposed to simply if the card maker has a license or not. UD will help pave the way for that wall being torn down. Mark my words. It's far from that right now, but it will change soon.
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
wcbraun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Silverdale, WA
Posts: 2,053
Default

I find it interesting that he only mentioned Jordan and James and not Kobe Bryant.

Does Kobe only have 1 more year left with UD?
__________________
US Navy - Submarine Service - January 23rd 1985 - January 31st 2009
wcbraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
BAMBAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 8,408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Bam,

It's like your paragraph contradicted itself. First you say it's like that now, and then you elude to it not working.

My point is that one day prices will be paid for who's on the card and how creative the card is as apposed to simply if the card maker has a license or not. UD will help pave the way for that wall being torn down. Mark my words. It's far from that right now, but it will change soon.
Come on Wheels, what I mean is there is a market now as there are already non-liscensed products and they have a rather average to horrible track record. Just because McWilliam is trying to spin his loss of a liscense as no big deal doesn't mean even he believes that. This hurts UD big time and I can't wait til the NHL wises up and takes away their exclusive as well.
__________________
IF YOU CAN'T TAKE AN HONEST REPLY THEN DON'T ASK.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Come on Wheels, what I mean is there is a market now as there are already non-liscensed products and they have a rather average to horrible track record. Just because McWilliam is trying to spin his loss of a liscense as no big deal doesn't mean even he believes that. This hurts UD big time and I can't wait til the NHL wises up and takes away their exclusive as well.
I agree with you. I sincerely do. While this hurts UD, it also helps the non-licensed market as there are many UD followers that used to say they were loyal to "licensed" companies that will now fall off that wagon only to join the non-licensed ranks.

This will be an easy one to follow. Time will tell what happens to the prices of the non-licensed cards. It doesn't bode will for UD, but it looks promising for others. I hope that makes sense.
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
BAMBAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 8,408
Default

To add even more, ITG/SK are the ONLY one that still has something to offer in unliscensed product and I truly believe its because of the fact Dr. Price works to make products for the people keeping his business afloat. ITG hockey still can't compete though with UD because people want to see logos and it shows in sales. If Fish's Tavares was a 1/1 from The Cup he'd already have got more then his $500. asking price. Just a fact. UD could give a crap about their customer base as they've proven that time and time again. If Donruss/ Panini got the MLB exclusive it would be all she wrote for UD and their non-liscensed baseball line unless they spent millions on player exclusives. Can't say the same about Topps because they seem lost and rather uninterested in making quality products since Eisner's takeover.
__________________
IF YOU CAN'T TAKE AN HONEST REPLY THEN DON'T ASK.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
To add even more, ITG/SK are the ONLY one that still has something to offer in unliscensed product and I truly believe its because of the fact Dr. Price works to make products for the people keeping his business afloat. ITG hockey still can't compete though with UD because people want to see logos and it shows in sales. If Fish's Tavares was a 1/1 from The Cup he'd already have got more then his $500. asking price. Just a fact. UD could give a crap about their customer base as they've proven that time and time again. If Donruss/ Panini got the MLB exclusive it would be all she wrote for UD and their non-liscensed baseball line unless they spent millions on player exclusives. Can't say the same about Topps because they seem lost and rather uninterested in making quality products since Eisner's takeover.
Again, I agree with you. However, people can go to Wal-Mart and see all the logos they want. One day people will care more about the players on the card and the make up of that card than they will about licenses.
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,668
Send a message via Yahoo to bmc398
Default

As far as donruss goes, it isn't not having a license that kills them...its the overproduction. Threads was way overproduced and the hype went down because all of the "big pulls" that were in there were in all other donruss releases that year as well. The thing that helps them tho is that they had the college license so they could put prospects on their cards in college unis...a huge draw for both college collectors AND prospectors. Where they missed the boat on their releases is the quality of the checklists were not as deep as 2007, but that has more to do with Razor grabbing the big guys.

Wheeler is right tho, if you don't have a license you need to try a lot harder. Upper Deck does not, will not and can not grasp this. As much as I like them for their big pulls I hate them for the 60 boxes of crap in between.

I for one don't care if a product is licensed or not...its about several things...value, quality, design and checklist.

Sportskings fails miserably in the design department for their memorabilia and auto cards!!

UD fails in Quality, Checklist, and Value in 90% of what they release!

Topps does the best job of the majors, but even they have brain farts be it a specific product, redemption issue, or quality of a checklist.

All in all competition is king and I don't like every company being allowed their specific niche with no real competition in one category.
bmc398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
BAMBAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 8,408
Default

I hope you're right Wheels as I too have some nice ITG and SK autos in the PC that I hope get me some nice retirement coin someday but I guess time will tell. Besides, the way this industry is going (and with the economy) there may only be a handful of us left collecting. We lose more collectors per day then we gain nowdays. Who knows when we'll see an upswing ?
__________________
IF YOU CAN'T TAKE AN HONEST REPLY THEN DON'T ASK.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc398 View Post
Sportskings fails miserably in the design department for their memorabilia and auto cards!!
Whoa now, hold on a minute. Some people like the design just as others don't like it. It's like disputing the taste of spinach, the smell of roses and the looks of Marilyn Monroe. Some will like each of these and some won't.

However, no one can dispute that 100% of every single Sportkings autograph is on-card and there has never been, and never will be, a redemption for these on-card autographs. You have never seen a release date pushed back. No one can dispute how limited this product is, and as far as their checklists are concerned, every single card portrays an all-time great sports figure. You won't see any failed names in their checklists.

Sportkings is everything everyone else should try to be like. They just don't have the licensing. Good thing for now I suppose, or I couldn't afford everything I have.
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
BAMBAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 8,408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Whoa now, hold on a minute. Some people like the design just as others don't like it. It's like disputing the taste of spinach, the smell of roses and the looks of Marilyn Monroe. Some will like each of these and some won't.

However, no one can dispute that 100% of every single Sportkings autograph is on-card and there has never been, and never will be, a redemption for these on-card autographs. You have never seen a release date pushed back. No one can dispute how limited this product is, and as far as their checklists are concerned, every single card portrays an all-time great sports figure. You won't see any failed names in their checklists.

Sportkings is everything everyone else should try to be like. They just don't have the licensing. Good thing for now I suppose, or I couldn't afford everything I have.

Love it LMAO !!!!!!!!!! Wheels do you have these testimonies saved in a web folder and you just whip out the appropriate one each time ? No lie, I truly love the conviction and know you're serious as a heartattack when you profess your love of all things SK
__________________
IF YOU CAN'T TAKE AN HONEST REPLY THEN DON'T ASK.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Love it LMAO !!!!!!!!!! Wheels do you have these testimonies saved in a web folder and you just whip out the appropriate one each time ? No lie, I truly love the conviction and know you're serious as a heartattack when you profess your love of all things SK
I just call it like I see it. Honestly, it's fun talking about SK.

I too wonder if the design of their auto and auto mem cards should change. Do they stay consistent with each of their first three releases or change things up now? I'm starting to think a fresh design might be what's needed. What do you guys think?
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
BAMBAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 8,408
Default

Noticable change is good in cards because nobody wants to see the same design year after year or even a slightly changed design ala Bowman Baseball or Elite FB. Will be tough for Dr. Price though because the head shot autos save him the trouble of airbrushing out logos (there's that dirty word again) He'd probably just have to go with background design and maybe add some color instead of the black and white standard they've been using. Autos on the base cards would have been a winner IMHO.
__________________
IF YOU CAN'T TAKE AN HONEST REPLY THEN DON'T ASK.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,668
Send a message via Yahoo to bmc398
Default

All of your other points are valid...but the autos and memorabilia are terrible looking. Thats the #1 reason they don't sell well...
bmc398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc398 View Post
All of your other points are valid...but the autos and memorabilia are terrible looking. Thats the #1 reason they don't sell well...
Bite your tongue. LOL Not everyone thinks they look terrible.

When you say "memorabilia", are you talking about the autographed memorabilia cards or all memorabilia cards autographed or not?
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
nuggetsman28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Charlotte, N.C
Posts: 3,941
Default

Q: Do you plan to continue issuing basketball cards even though Panini has an exclusive license from the NBA?
A: Yes, we absolutely do. How can we not produce basketball cards when we have the most collectible players in Michael Jordan and LeBron James on board as exclusive Upper Deck spokesmen?


yes!!
__________________
Wild'n Cuz I'm Young... The True Cudder Stan.

"Thank the Lord for that burning bush, that big body Benz I was born to push..." - Just What IAm
nuggetsman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:08 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
gomiamigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 2,162
Default

I don't need a photo of Jordan in a Wizards uniform [or Bulls] on a signed card or jersey card to want to own it. If people don't like airbrushing than they won't make cards that are airbrushed.
__________________
s86.photobucket.com/albums/k91/sheltone_2006
gomiamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.