Blowout Cards Forums
Shop OneStopFanShop.com Today!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 09:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default UD Pulls Thousands of Base cards from 2009/10 Exquisite bskt

UD pulls Thousands of base cards from its 2009/10 Exquisite product. Here is their facebook page regarding the announcement today. Basketball | Facebook

Here's a link to a current thread on the forums

09-10 Exquisite answers from Upper Deck on Facebook

Last edited by blowoutcards; 09-30-2009 at 09:24 AM.
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

instead of a bait and switch, its just a bait. If they pull everything else proportionatley, how many of the Tiger Autos will still make it, much less the other guys. What good is a card numbered to /25 if they only release 15? If they change the serial numbering to 15 I'd be happy, but sounds like they're keeping the numbering the same.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Just another screw job with deceitful production!!!

If everyone wasn't so hung up on serial numbered cards, there'd be no problem.

In my eyes there are two entities to blame...UD for one of course, and then collectors that demand serial numbered cards. What a joke they have both become.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

now now now kids, lets see how the initial breaks go today and tomorrow before we light up the torches.
jubei777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

I dont have a facebook account can someone post this on UD facebook.Maybe we can get a clear answer from UD.

Upper Deck

Thank you for your reply to Jim Wilkinsons questions.Can you please let us know how Upper Deck went about pulling these"thousands of base cards" and how collectors can be assured that the proper quality control measures were taken to assure that complete sets can be put together.Was an even number of each base card removed and can you provide collectors with how many were removed of each. In the "rush to get it out" is it possible that some of the autographs or inserts were also pulled?
The owner of a sportscard website and apparently a former upper deck employee indicates pulling base cards may be a regular practice.
"I was on the product development team at Upper Deck, and I have been a part of Exquisite pack-outs before. There are ALWAYS base cards left over."

Is this information accurate ?
Are base cards always " left over" and what is done with these cards.
Ive seen some images and some of the cards are simply amazing and I'd love to see more.
Is a checklist of all cards going to be furnished with production of what is produced or what is actually put in the boxes/cases?
I am a huge fan of Upper Deck and of Exquisite and am looking forward to your reply.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by maximus; 09-30-2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: typos
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubei777 View Post
now now now kids, lets see how the initial breaks go today and tomorrow before we light up the torches.
The torches have already been lit.

I truly believe this product will be a winner. I honestly do. UD needs to do something to save whatever face they possibly can. However, it won't be enough, and it's simply too late. UD is all but finished. Panini is doing things right right now, and if they're smart, they won't look back. Topps is paying attention, and they won't lose what they've got going now. ITG is getting better all the time. Razor will be finished since UD is/was backing them. Tristar will be fine because contrary to popular belief, many people do like minor league stuff.

This is how I see it. I'm sure I can't be right about all of it though.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

well if everything goes right, my lcs up here in the bay area should get it's case in today (if UD is right on what they said about shipping). i'll post up my hits in the break forum but i'd prefer to see some other case breaks before diving in.
jubei777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Why not ADD cards, rather than pulling the cards.

And people wonder why they are sinking so fast...

Buying Brandon Hughes (OSU/Chargers) Auto's and low numbered cards.
cardsrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yet another ridiculous ploy by UD to get people to spend their hard-earned money on their worthless crap.
Highcheese4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

If they are pulling thousands of cards its simply because they tried to pull a fast one and the only way to get way with it is either by pulling them, or lying about pulling them. Either way this product was #@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@ and rushed to production, or the #s produced would've reflected the amount packed out.

Again try to sell a product by means of false advertisement and fraud, just like the 10 Tiger Woods Exquisite Auto Patches that never made it into 08 Exquisite Football.

Bye Upper Deck.
mcgahee21nfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

I bet the owner of Upper Deck, McWilliam I think, goes to bed every night upset with a lump in his throat that he lost those licenses, but is able to quickly go to sleep with a grin on his face the instant he starts thinking about all the customers he continually screws over!
Old 10-01-2009, 09:50 AM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to bmc398

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
I bet the owner of Upper Deck, McWilliam I think, goes to bed every night upset with a lump in his throat that he lost those licenses, but is able to quickly go to sleep with a grin on his face the instant he starts thinking about all the customers he continually screws over!
The funny part is actually they do a great job with their hockey exclusives. Its because the hockey guys charge less for autos and memorablia and there's less of a following so they can "afford" to load it up. I don't get why Exquisite offers less value AND less quality for more money. This stuff this year looks like an absolute RIP OFF!! Yeah, there will probably be a $1000 hit per case...but you still won't make your money back! if I pulled the 08/09 base I would be pissed!! Even the tin it comes in screams hack/rush job!

In my arguments "defending" UD it was more about people criticizing them for doing this rush job and putting out crap when they didn't have to. I will still argue (even after seeing the $#!^ that has come out so far) that they should have put out products and depleted their inventory. They should have just gone about it in a different way. The retro design screams lazy (0 development of a design), the tin screams low quality (they can't even invest in a $15 box for the product?), and the cards are more of the same...a disappointing high end product that delivers mostly B list players at an A-List price.

So maybe we can strike a compromise Wheeler...UD HAD to liquidate their inventory. The manner i which they did it blew and deceived collectors. They did the right thing wrong and I can see it being their demise from the hobby as far as basketball and baseball go (which I wouldn't mind, even tho I have pulled 2 $3000+ cards from them and nothing worth over $150 from panini or topps!!!).

Another side to the argument could be that maybe we give our fellow collectors too much credit in the intellectual department??? If they thought this was going to be loaded vs. other products they had put out in the past since this was their final horrah...were dead wrong!
bmc398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'm not sure they blew it at all, that remains to be seen. Maybe they're dead...maybe not. Anyone writing obits is only kidding themselves today though.

And everyone is doing retro designs, no one more than Topps. It's not lazy if that's what people want. I've seen LOTS of people rave about the Crosby, Gretzky, etc Retros.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomiamigo View Post

And everyone is doing retro designs, no one more than Topps. It's not lazy if that's what people want. I've seen LOTS of people rave about the Crosby, Gretzky, etc Retros.
Retros like goodwin, mayo, but not 03/04, i don't consider that retro
Old 06-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

Pretty sure all the UD haters were wrong on this product.

And that's aside from Panini doing a horrific job.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to npbaker1

How the heck did this get to the top?

03/04/2011 The Day Fish Lost It
npbaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote