Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Free Cards Friday... if Chicago Wins

Free Cards Friday... if Chicago Wins

Imagine It could rain free baseball cards Friday if the IOC smiles on the American Olympic bid.

Card collectors will have a reason to party if the International Olympic Committee selects Chicago as the host city for the 2016 Summer Olympic games. The Upper Deck company has pledge to give away a free pack of baseball cards to fans and collectors across the country if the Windy City gets the nod.

In February, inside its 2009 Series One Baseball product, Upper Deck released a nine-card insert set entitled: “Historic First Predictors.” The cards included “predictions” for 2009 and stated that if any of them came true during the course of the year that it would do “something big.” One card featured Chicago as the selection for ’16 Olympic host. Another card promised prizes for a National League victory in the All-Star game, but the American League continued its dominance so the promotion didn’t pay off.

Convening in Copenhagen, the IOC will pick from four finalists: Chicago, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo. President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama are in Copenhagen, doing some last-minute lobbying on Chicago’s behalf. If it happens, Upper Decks says it will be one pack per person with details to be revealed after the announcement.

Free Cards Friday... if Chicago Wins | Sports Collecting News, Memorabilia, Base#@-#@Sports Collectors Daily
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

lets hope it happens !!! it would be great for the U.S. and the city of chicago!!!!
248rayment4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

This would be the disaster in our city since the Chicago fire. A recent poll shows that 50% of the people don't even want the Olympics. That stat blew me away.

Our city is so brutal it can't even graduate 50% of our kids from high school, crime is one of the worst in the nation and it takes an hour to get downtown even on a Sunday morning. All these great characteristics and Chicago still has the highest sales tax in the nation.

Every city that has hosted the Olympics has lost money. Take the money we will waste building swimming pools and give it back to the tax payers.

Rio in 2016.
jebjeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebjeb1 View Post
This would be the disaster in our city since the Chicago fire. A recent poll shows that 50% of the people don't even want the Olympics. That stat blew me away.

Our city is so brutal it can't even graduate 50% of our kids from high school, crime is one of the worst in the nation and it takes an hour to get downtown even on a Sunday morning. All these great characteristics and Chicago still has the highest sales tax in the nation.

Every city that has hosted the Olympics has lost money. Take the money we will waste building swimming pools and give it back to the tax payers.

Rio in 2016.
I agree 100%. As a Chicago resident, I do not know of one other CITY dweller that is for the games being held here. For folks in the 'burbs and the Midwest, I'm sure it sounds appealing, but undertstand that those of us that live in the city will be (a) horribly inconvenienced for the next seven years; and (b) most importantly, will end up funding the Games. The Olympics have never come in under budget and the insurance purchased by the City does not give me any peace of mind that 100% of the event will be privately-funded.

Rio in 2016 x2. Rant ends here.
endthecurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 248rayment4343 View Post
lets hope it happens !!! it would be great for the U.S. and the city of chicago!!!!
If I lived in Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa or Indiana, I'd want Chicago to win, too
Old 10-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

the thing is what about the money and jobs it will bring in!!!! and u think it is bad in chicago??? the jobless rate in detroit is 29.8 percent!!!!!!!! let me say that again 29.8 percent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

I read were they will not be building much if it comes there. They will used alot of exsisting facitlities. I pray for Chicago not to get it. This is politically motivated. Nuf said.
FINS4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
the thing is what about the money and jobs it will bring in!!!! and u think it is bad in chicago??? the jobless rate in detroit is 29.8 percent!!!!!!!! let me say that again 29.8 percent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Money? To whom, exactly? Ahhh... maybe to the Daley cronies that bought up all the land south of the Loop, in the Ghetto, before Chicago threw their hat in the Olympic ring. Guess where we're planning to build/renovate an Olympic Village?

Jobs? Yes, the Olympics will create a lot of short-term opportunities, albeit with a limited window. The job opportunties, in large part, will only be there for 6-12 months. I suppose that means my StreetWise vendor will get a bump in salary from January through August of 2016.

While Chicago already has most (but not all) of the facilities in place already, hundreds of millions will need to be spent on renovating facilities that will rarely be used after the Olympics' 17 days are exhausted. It's a waste of city money and, I guarantee, future taxpayer contributions.

Unfortunately, it's happening and there's nothing the residents of Chicago can do to stop it. If I didn't live in the city, I'd definitely be looking at this through different lenses.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by endthecurse View Post
Money? To whom, exactly? Ahhh... maybe to the Daley cronies that bought up all the land south of the Loop, in the Ghetto, before Chicago threw their hat in the Olympic ring. Guess where we're planning to build/renovate an Olympic Village?

Jobs? Yes, the Olympics will create a lot of short-term opportunities, albeit with a limited window. The job opportunties, in large part, will only be there for 6-12 months. I suppose that means my StreetWise vendor will get a bump in salary from January through August of 2016.

While Chicago already has most (but not all) of the facilities in place already, hundreds of millions will need to be spent on renovating facilities that will rarely be used after the Olympics' 17 days are exhausted. It's a waste of city money and, I guarantee, future taxpayer contributions.

Unfortunately, it's happening and there's nothing the residents of Chicago can do to stop it. If I didn't live in the city, I'd definitely be looking at this through different lenses.

i understand were your coming from what im saying is in this econmy any jobs are good jobs belive me if detroit could be in the running or had the people or time they would love it!!!! and i guess im thinking as if it were in detroit this city and state our on life support right know and with a 29.8 jobless rate !!!!!!!! we would take anything we could get i know what your saying but it would be uplifting to say the least!!!!!!

i know 99.9 percent of people would rather have something else going on like the cub's in the playoff's but u got look at as if a couple hundred people in the city get jobs from them hosting it and they can in return feed there familes then it is a victory!!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree 100%. As a Chicago resident, I do not know of one other CITY dweller that is for the games being held here. For folks in the 'burbs and the Midwest, I'm sure it sounds appealing, but undertstand that those of us that live in the city will be (a) horribly inconvenienced for the next seven years; and (b) most importantly, will end up funding the Games. The Olympics have never come in under budget and the insurance purchased by the City does not give me any peace of mind that 100% of the event will be privately-funded.

Rio in 2016 x2. Rant ends here.
I also am a resident of this city If u lived here you would understand the political web there is within daley regime he has laid off many city workers as continue to cut hours etc but yet they want to pump millions into stadiums etc. It sounds great but its definitely the wrong time for this city. It will benefit only the politicians and there friends they say a ticket to the opening ceremonies would be upwards of 1400 each lol. I just feel unemployed myslef(laid off) that the money can be put elsewhere.
antthebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
For folks in the 'burbs and the Midwest, I'm sure it sounds appealing
It does not sound appealing! I live in the south suburbs and I am not looking forward to going into the city in 2016, if Chicago gets the Olympics. I avoid the Taste for the same reasons and that is tiny compared to this.

I'm looking forward to the prospect of the Olympics being in Chicago, but I pray that I have absolutely no reason to venture into the city that year.
WhiteSoxCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearljam_cubbies

I live in Michigan and don't want it. I have no interest at all in the olympics and if theres a terrorist attack Id be right in line for the fallout!!! Yes I'm paranoid!!!
All Topps Heritage Cubs team sets
pearljam_cubbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Im just the opposite, if it came, I would go.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljam_cubbies View Post
I live in Michigan and don't want it. I have no interest at all in the olympics and if theres a terrorist attack Id be right in line for the fallout!!! Yes I'm paranoid!!!
Just because Eric Robert Rudolph planted bombs at the 1996 Summer Games in Atlanta, doesn't mean it will happen again.

*** NEW CARDS ADDED TO COMC 6/8/14 ***
weedyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljam_cubbies View Post
it has nothing to do with the olympics!!!! has to do with job's!!!!! your telling me if people in detroit could get a job even if it was for a couple weeks or month's or years depending on what they were doing that it would not be a good thing with the jobless right at 29.8 percent!!! so people could feed there familes!!!!!
Old 10-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
it has nothing to do with the olympics!!!! has to do with job's!!!!! your telling me if people in detroit could get a job even if it was for a couple weeks or month's or years depending on what they were doing that it would not be a good thing with the jobless right at 29.8 percent!!! so people could feed there familes!!!!!
Here is a concept for you - MOVE OUT OF THE DETROIT METRO AREA

All of these auto workers did this to themselves. Unions refused to negotiate a reasonable wage and now they are paying the price. If $45 an hour is good enough money to build Honda's in Alabama how does the Detroit auto worker think that they are justified in asking for $70 per hour for similar work.

The made their own beds now they need to lie down in them. If they don't like the situation pack their crap in a Uhaul truck and move on.

They can go back to school for retraining for a song and yet quite a few would rather sit around and wish for things to go back the way that they used to be. Get over it this is not going to happen.
Dobber2330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobber2330 View Post

All of these auto workers did this to themselves. Unions refused to negotiate a reasonable wage and now they are paying the price. If $45 an hour is good enough money to build Honda's in Alabama how does the Detroit auto worker think that they are justified in asking for $70 per hour for similar work.

The made their own beds now they need to lie down in them. If they don't like the situation pack their crap in a Uhaul truck and move on.

They can go back to school for retraining for a song and yet quite a few would rather sit around and wish for things to go back the way that they used to be. Get over it this is not going to happen.
Heres a concept for you not everyone in Detroit works for the Auto companys!! Yes a large percent does!!! But there is more going on here then just that and no not everyone that works for them makes 70 a hour. People that work for Delphi and Detroit Diesel have took alot of paycuts and know make 12-13 a hour just to keep there jobs. Because if not they were moving to Mexico !!!!! How about phizer the pill company spending millions of dollars on building labs and other buildings for there U.S.A. Headquarters in Ann Arbor and after they spend all that money they decide they do not want to be there anymore after 3-4 years. So there went thousands of job's!!!!!

Last edited by 248rayment4343; 10-02-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:41 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobber2330 View Post

I live in the suburbs of Detroit.

I went to college and have a Bachelor of Science in Packaging. I graduated 5 years ago, and I wasn't able to even find work even. I ended up going back to my High School job working in a grocery store. Three years later I got a job at a different grocery store as a Produce Supervisor. I was laid off 4 days after Christmas last year, and I am still unemployed.

There are more people than just the auto workers that have problems.

Sure, everyone says move out of Michigan, but where do you want me to go??? Everyone is having problems, Michigan was just hit the hardest.

$70/hr is extreme, and I don't know anyone that makes that. $45 is also extreme.

If you can tell me where to go, and have a job that pays a decent living wage waiting there for me, I will leave Metro Detroit.

*** NEW CARDS ADDED TO COMC 6/8/14 ***
weedyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

If Chicago does not receive the Olympics nod Barrack Obama is going to catch unimaginable grief. I am guessing that Chicago is a done or else Obama's handlers would never allow him to be placed in this situation.

The Chicago Political cronies could become very rich tomorrow.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

Chicago did not get it...... THANK GOD !!!!!
murphy1313 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #21 (permalink)

Looks like UD will have to go back to Plan B now that Chicago is out;

Plan B; open free baseball packs and insert base cards into Exquisite basketball product

"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isn’t that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #22 (permalink)

Haha Chicago lost... UD is lost also lol!
Highcheese4U is offline   Reply With Quote