Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 11:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Michael Crabtree Signs. Can His Cards Recover?

Michael Crabtree Signs. Can His Cards Recover?

There was a time not so long ago – like in May – when Michael Crabtree was one of the most sought after players in all of football cards, second only to Lions rookie quarterback Matthew Stafford.

Of course, that was when collectors still had visions of Crabtree coming to San Francisco as something of a modern-day Jerry Rice, and long before the 49ers’ first-round pick embarked on one of the longest holdouts in recent memory.

In the four months since, Crabtree has fallen from No. 2 to No. 7 on Beckett Football’s monthly Rookie Power List and his Rookie Cards have plummeted some 25 percent in value, a point not lost on CNBC sports business reporter Darren Rovell.

But since Crabtree finally has signed with the team that drafted him 10th overall, this classic case of “out of sight, out of mind” has a chance to have a happy beginning as early as today.

“He’s going to have to get on the field and produce pretty quickly in order to have a legitimate chance at getting his Rookie Cards back to their pre-holdout value,” says Dan Hitt, Beckett’s NFL Senior Market Analyst. “The 49ers have been one of the surprise successes of the season so far and are 3-1 without Crabtree.

“The fact that he’s finally signed should give his stuff a small boost and is obviously a good sign to those collectors who spent the last three or four months investing in his cards.”

Of the 17 Crabtree Rookie Cards currently priced in the Beckett database, a staggering 15 of them have dropped 25 percent in value since their respective debut listings, from an initial total of $132 to a current combined value of $99 (The two exceptions are 2009 Leaf Rookies & Stars #207 and 2009 Donruss Threads #234, both of which are valued at $100).

– Tracy Hackler

Michael Crabtree Signs. Can His Cards Recover? « The Beckett Blog
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think he's going to really have to put on a show to get disgruntled hobby folks to invest in him again at any serious level.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

I agree. Plus side, he's in a good market, and with the team winning there is a chance. Personally if I was the niners I'd of told him to stuff it and take the pick next year. I can only imagine what the locker room will be like.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfish2 View Post
I agree. Plus side, he's in a good market, and with the team winning there is a chance. Personally if I was the niners I'd of told him to stuff it and take the pick next year. I can only imagine what the locker room will be like.
i agree and im wondering if he had a change of heart once he saw how good they were playing!!!!
248rayment4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

He kind of saved himself by actually getting signed but still like others have said - he'll have to do a lot more work than the others to be a factor now.
Highcheese4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfish2 View Post
Good market? Maybe for the GLAAD!

checkoutmycards.com/Users/hockeyjunkie99
hockeyjunkie99 is offline   Reply With Quote