Blowout Cards Forums
Sport Card Album

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Captain Lou Albano Dies, Leaving Behind A Legacy Of Cyndi Lauper Videos

Captain Lou Albano Dies, Leaving Behind A Legacy Of Cyndi Lauper Videos

Sad news today, as Louis Vincent Albano — known to the entertainment world as Captain Lou Albano — passed away this morning at the age of 76 according to WWE's official Web site. Albano is best known to people in the professional wrestling world, where he was an integral part of the rise of the WWF in the early 1980s. As both a wrestler and a manager, Albano was a profoundly charismatic man who cut a great promo and had an incredible presence, which allowed him to cross over into other areas of the entertainment world and was one of the reasons that the very first Wrestlemania in 1985 was so successful.

One of the most important entertainment alliances Albano made was with Cyndi Lauper, who was at her commercial peak when she teamed up with Captain Lou. She appeared on WWF programming leading up to Wrestlemania, and in turn Albano played Lauper's father in a handful of her most famous music videos. In "Girls Just Want to Have Fun," Albano plays the fatherly foil to Lauper's carefree spirit, and she even puts him in a hammer lock in the video. (According to the "Pop-Up Video" version of the clip, the original plan was to dress George "The Animal" Steele up in drag and cast him as Lauper's mother, a role that ended up going to Lauper's actual mother.)

"Girls Just Want to Have Fun" is delightfully wacky, but it's nothing compared to the mind-blowing three minutes that is the video for "Goonies 'R' Good Enough." The 1985 track, which came from the soundtrack to the film "The Goonies," is a fantastically crazy tune with an equally nutty video. In addition to Albano, it also stars wrestlers the Iron Sheik, "Rowdy" Roddy Piper and "Classy" Freddie Blassie, among others. It involves a gas station, the cast of the movie, a skeleton and a cameo by Steven Spielberg.

Here is a 3X5 index card boldly signed in black ball point pen by Lou: "To Jake, Jesus Bless You, Capt. Lou."

Captain Lou Albano (RIP) Signed card WWE WWF ECW - eBay (item 180419727275 end time Oct-17-09 09:17:09 PDT)
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

good lord he was still alive? LOL
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Oh captain, my captain.
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isn’t that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

He can join the Rock 'n' Wrestling Connection in the sky.
thecardpodcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Brutus the barber beefcake, The Junkyard Dog, and Jimmy superfly Snooka are on tap to be palbears with Hacksaw Jim Dugan to do a 24 gun salute with that 2x4. HAOO! I wonder if he still has that rubberband on his face
Old 10-15-2009, 09:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

r.i.p. cap
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyomedina View Post
Brutus the barber beefcake, The Junkyard Dog, and Jimmy superfly Snooka are on tap to be palbears with Hacksaw Jim Dugan to do a 24 gun salute with that 2x4. HAOO! I wonder if he still has that rubberband on his face
Junkyard Dog died in a car wreck a few years back.
Jolietracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default A sweet guy...

I met Captain Lou a bunch of times and he was always a sweet nice man, unlike a wrestler's reputation. He did a lot for the Multiple Sclerosis Charities and part of that was the Ugly Bartenders Contest he helped promote to raise money. I have tons of photos but nothing nicer handy right now. Here's a quick shot.

R.I.P. Captain

Vinny
Old 10-15-2009, 11:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Let's not forget he was also the live action Mario in the host segments of the Super Mario Brothers Super Show!

YouTube - The Super Mario Bros Super Show Title Theme
DaClyde is offline   Reply With Quote