Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 09:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Donruss Employs New Anticounterfeiting System

Donruss Employs New Anticounterfeiting System

As the NFL playoffs advance to the conference championships, Donruss Playoff is bringing in a new lineman to protect its highly collectible NFL trading cards Eastman Kodak Company.

Donruss will deploy the KODAK TRACELESS System for Anticounterfeiting on selected high-value cards. The cards, which premiere the week prior to Super Bowl XLII, will include an invisible marker that can only be detected with a KODAK TRACELESS Reader.

"The TRACELESS System provides an easy method to distinguish genuine Donruss products from fakes, ensuring our customers an authentic product whose value will continue to appreciate over time," said Bill Sawtelle, VP of Quality Assurance for Donruss Playoff. "Our cards are unique because they contain actual game-used artifacts, such as priceless pieces of game worn jerseys, helmets or footballs, so the value of the card really depends on its authenticity. The TRACELESS System will help us limit the ability to counterfeit cards."

"Internet sales and online auctions have sparked a proliferation of fake sport cards, and the situation is becoming a serious problem for manufacturers and collectors of these prized items," said Steve Powell, General Manager & Director, Security Solutions, Kodak's Graphic Communications Group. "By introducing an invisible component to the card that the counterfeiters can't find, our advanced technology gives Donruss trading cards a strong defense and eliminates a counterfeiter's ability to make cheap replicas."
-Beckett.com
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default What exactly does this do for me?

My question would be, how does this help an online consumer? If John Doe in New Orleans sees a high dollar card on E-auction being sold out of Chicago, how does this "invisible" security measure help him exactly? If he does not have access to the card beforehand or once the card is "in-hand" still doesn't have access to a "reader" then this system is useless.

Example 1) If I, Sam Unscrupulous, DO have a genuine 1of1 $12K item, what's to say I don't spend the money to counterfeit it and sell the fake for $X-$Y dollars and still get to keep my genuine article? There are plenty of sellers online that just DISAPPEAR after money has changed hands.

Example 2) 1 color patch card/auto gets "tweaked" to be NFL logo/auto card. Then sold for 5x the original price of the 1 color patch. How would this extra "security" help the buyer out? Will Donruss keep an optical inventory of ALL of it's high dollar cards and then let shop owners/consumers bounce their cards off of it for verification?

Am I just being unreasonable here and not seeing something???
rudyjustinfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm wondering the same thing. To me it only makes sense if the cards end up being graded and the grading card company have the readers. What would it really matter if I saw the invisible marking under a reader and later tried to sell the card stating that I personally saw it? Does the buyer also have to get this card checked then?

If it's not graded, he would. I'm probably missing something too.
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
I'm wondering the same thing. To me it only makes sense if the cards end up being graded and the grading card company have the readers. What would it really matter if I saw the invisible marking under a reader and later tried to sell the card stating that I personally saw it? Does the buyer also have to get this card checked then?

If it's not graded, he would. I'm probably missing something too.
This is just another way for beckett to get people to grade cards. Remember when people say, WHY DID HE GET THAT GRADED? Now there will be a reason. If you pull a good card from playoff you will have to spend $10+ and get it graded or you won't be able to re-sell it. Good work on by the grading companies.
jacobbigshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, maybe we are all reading this incorrectly, but this sounds like it is designed more to protect DLP rather than Us the consumer. And who has these little readers? I live in Rochester NY, where Eastman Kodak is based and run, and I have never heard of these things.
gridironfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

at least they are trying
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbre...QQfsooZ1QQrdZ0
brentandbecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentandbecca View Post
at least they are trying
The could print a watermark that will show up on a scanner, that would work.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote