Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2008, 07:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default (udc Offers Record Card Set)

(UDC OFFERS RECORD CARD SET)

There will be a total of 6500 cards in the new Yankee Stadium House that Ruth Built trading card set. The cards will be spread out over all series in 2008 and will feature every game played at Yankee Stadium and then some.

(Babe Ruth Card from Yankee Stadium Legacy Set.)

To give you an idea as to the magnitude of the set, if you put it in albums (based on 9 pocket pages with one card per sleeve, 100 pages per album) it would take 722 pages or more than seven albums. You could put the set in two 3200 count boxes provided you didn't put any cards in plastic penny sheets and you were really careful to squeeze them in. If you lined them up end to end (the long way) they would stretch over more than six football fields or 631 yards.

Now that is a set! Ridiculous, but a set! There will be one person who will collect it, and it is very likely Upper Deck will at some point offer some promotion to someone who is the first to collect it and enter to win. You have to believe that will happen.

There will be cards featuring game highlights, boxing matches and speeches. There will also be cards featuring game used items from more than 40 Yankee greats. And if you were wondering where some of those old Yankee autographed cards were left over from previous years? Yup! The House Ruth Built.

"Not only is this an incredibly ambitious effort by our Product Development and Creative teams but it is a well deserved tribute to one of the sports worlds most celebrated venues," said Kerri Stockholm, UD Director of Marketing. "We're delivering the cards in inserts in several different Upper Deck baseball products throughout 2008 giving collectors the chance to share in the historic tribute."

Yankee Stadium closes after this year and the All-Star Game will be played there this summer. UDC does plan lots of promotions which can be discovered at The Upper Deck Company: Sports Trading Cards, Authentic Memorabilia, Sports Collectibles, & Entertainment Products starting February 1, 2008.

Officials at Upper Deck say the Guinness Book of World Records is ready to recognize the series as the Largest Baseball Card Set of all time.
-The Brill Report
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Why is everything always about the Yankees ? I understand the history, the championships and all of the great players BUT wouldn't a set of this magnitude be better served if it were more of a complete history of baseball themed set ? Starting with Abner Doubleday and covering everything from the Black Sox to the war time womans league to the negro leagues to all the different superstars, records, stadiums past and present etc. If your gonna build a set that big it should be more about the game than just one franchise. JMO but I think it makes more sense.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Why is everything always about the Yankees ? I understand the history, the championships and all of the great players BUT wouldn't a set of this magnitude be better served if it were more of a complete history of baseball themed set ? Starting with Abner Doubleday and covering everything from the Black Sox to the war time womans league to the negro leagues to all the different superstars, records, stadiums past and present etc. If your gonna build a set that big it should be more about the game than just one franchise. JMO but I think it makes more sense.
Maybe I'll save my money and wait for this set to be produced. Good Point!
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post

Topps will do that and break the "record" UD is making

Buying 2002-03 BAP Signature Series Short Print autos I need.
I can always be contacted through AOL.com
cardsrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to davebo

It is about the Yankees because they can probably get their hands on more Yankee stuff than any other team. Plus, the house that Ruth built is coming down in a year or two. That's a lot of stadium used memorabilia.
davebo is offline   Reply With Quote