Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,627
Send a message via Yahoo to bmc398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
Wow, this is terrible news. I hope this doesn't extend to the team issued sets from Choice and MultiAd.
I don't think it does...said it only has to do with nationally distributed sets. I'm sure if they only sell it at the stadium they will be good to go.
bmc398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:19 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,627
Send a message via Yahoo to bmc398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_steelers07 View Post
would still rather have a 2008 Bowman Chrome Beckham auto
Why??? The 09s sell for way more!! Most of them look better in my opinion! The Topps T-206 framed autos (when it is live) as well as the Heritage High numer autos are awesome looking! i don't mind the SPA autos either.
bmc398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:28 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Now how do I respond to this?

I never pointed to my COMC cards, so you're wrong with that statement. I didn't even realize I had so many Tristar cards on the COMC web site. At least not more than half of all my baseball cards. Wow! Is there an easy, quick way I can check to see how those cards have sold? I know I sell a lot of them. You can't average selling $2,000 every month and have over half your baseball cards be minor league Tristar cards, and get nothing for them. Thanks for the free advertisement.

Calling me "arrogant" huh? I was simply giving my opinion again. Like when I said licenses won't matter in the near future BEFORE the big dogs started losing their licenses. People used to say they wouldn't buy unlicensed products. People used to say they wouldn't prospect minor league cards. I wonder how many hypocrites we're going to see pop up next year. A few hundred, or thousands upon thousands?

Call it arrogance if you want, I call it like I see it. It's plain as day to me.
Your statements took an arrogant tone when started a sentence with "You have all been fooled...".

From what I read and discussed with dealers and shop owners, very few people said that they wouldn't buy unlicensed products. Like your analogy of the SI Tiger to the UD Tiger RC, it's an 'apples to oranges' comparison to the argument against investing TriStar and Just.

Donruss had brand equity before losing their MLB license, as does UD going into 2010 (although I'm personally not a fan). However, at no point was either TriStar or Just a highly-desired brand. Cards from those providers will always lag behind Topps, UD and Donruss.

That said, I have a 2007 BGS 9.5 Tim Lincecum AU Silver #/10 from Just that would like a home in your collection. PM me if you're interested.
endthecurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:37 PM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by endthecurse View Post
Your statements took an arrogant tone when started a sentence with "You have all been fooled...".

From what I read and discussed with dealers and shop owners, very few people said that they wouldn't buy unlicensed products. Like your analogy of the SI Tiger to the UD Tiger RC, it's an 'apples to oranges' comparison to the argument against investing TriStar and Just.

Donruss had brand equity before losing their MLB license, as does UD going into 2010 (although I'm personally not a fan). However, at no point was either TriStar or Just a highly-desired brand. Cards from those providers will always lag behind Topps, UD and Donruss.

That said, I have a 2007 BGS 9.5 Tim Lincecum AU Silver #/10 from Just that would like a home in your collection. PM me if you're interested.
I never have collected Just cards. They never appealed to me, so no thank you on the Lincecum card. I wouldn't collect a pitcher so young into his career anyway. It's just not what I like to collect.

You keep bringing up that I said Tristar and Just when I never said Just at all. What you quoted before had little to do with these companies as I said the first card a player appears on will one day be considered his true rookie card. That might be Tristar, it might be Just, or it might be Topps, UD, etc. It makes no difference to me. It will simply be his first card and will always be in demand if the player becomes someone great.
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:58 PM   #30 (permalink)
Bowman Scout
 
Jaypers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: IL
Posts: 6,833
Default

UPDATE.

More news on this story, from Beckett:


Topps official: Minor League deal will not affect Bowman lines
By Chris Olds
11/30/2009 5:07:45 PM

With Topps‘ announcement earlier today that it will be the exclusive licensee of cards for Minor League Baseball beginning in 2010, there’s a common question brewing among many prospectors.

What does this mean for Bowman? Could Topps entering the MiLB card market impact the prospect-packed Bowman lines?

Nope, according to Topps’ Clay Luraschi.

“Business as usual with Bowman,” Luraschi told Beckett Media on Monday afternoon.

Luraschi did offer more details for Topps’ inaugural release, 2010 Topps Pro Debut Series 1, which will arrive in March.

Luraschi confirmed that the MiLB products from Topps will include autograph and memorabilia cards (something a Minor League release quite possibly could have gone without) and that a second series for Topps Pro Debut will arrive sometime in the summer.

The MiLB deal, which operates under a blanket agreement, allows Topps to make cards of any player — so those looking for the first fully licensed cards of No. 1 draft pick Stephen Strasburg just might find him there.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball and Beckett Graded Card Investor. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an e-mail to him at colds@beckett.com.
__________________
J.P.

If you want to make your message board experience a lot more enjoyable, simply block those who constantly lie, deflect and troll others. You'll be glad you did.
Jaypers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:00 PM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alabama
Posts: 408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc398 View Post
I don't think it does...said it only has to do with nationally distributed sets. I'm sure if they only sell it at the stadium they will be good to go.
That's a relief. MultiAd and Choice are the only ones to put out any decent minor league stuff that isn't riddled with over-priced gimmicky junk.
DaClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:21 PM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,627
Send a message via Yahoo to bmc398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
I never have collected Just cards. They never appealed to me, so no thank you on the Lincecum card. I wouldn't collect a pitcher so young into his career anyway. It's just not what I like to collect.

You keep bringing up that I said Tristar and Just when I never said Just at all. What you quoted before had little to do with these companies as I said the first card a player appears on will one day be considered his true rookie card. That might be Tristar, it might be Just, or it might be Topps, UD, etc. It makes no difference to me. It will simply be his first card and will always be in demand if the player becomes someone great.
I am going to hop on with endthecurse on this one...almost every single post on here dealing with unlicensed cards/brands you favor is riddled with arrogance. Again, how are we fooled when you're the only one buying this stuff??

And on the unlicensed stuff...I don't know where you think people won't buy it solely because its unlicensed. I won't buy Sportskings because of the price point, value, design of the autos and memorabilia cards and the checklists. Congrats, you have nice stuff and a nice collection. Your arrogance is almost to the point where it seems like you are touting superiority because you can afford things that others can't.

People don't but TriStar because its poorly designed and comes from a company with no brand equity...like UD at least used to have.

The "uninformed masses" will continue to buy the stuff that is most collectible. The reason people are "sleeping" on Sportskings is because its not a mainstream product (I really like ITGs hockey stuff tho) and a poorly designed one at that. The reason people are "sleeping" on Tristar is that the cards have little value to the mainstream collector. IF you bust a $100 box and don't get any value people will stop busting your product...just like what happened with TriStar.

The RC Logo rule was invented to stop debates like this. Remember when Delmon young had Rcs in like 4 different years?? I don't see the RC rules as a bad thing...it gives me more to collect of my favorite players! Different uniforms and photography, card designs from different years....I love picking up Verlander stuff from both 05 AND 06. I don't slap myslef on the wrist when I buy a 2006 verlander card and say...hey this isnt really a rookie card. The logo helps a collector clearly define what year the player made the roster and actually made it to the bigs. Not a bad system. Now a guy might have a prospect card AND a RC logo card but at least you know the circumstances between the cards and can choose for yourself which one is a favorite to you. There's more than one answer in every situation...and I try to see both sides of an argument before being arrogant and off putting about it.

Keep investing in TriStar tho. It will leave more boxes of Topps Pro Debut for me and the mindless minions!

Last edited by bmc398; 11-30-2009 at 11:30 PM.
bmc398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:30 AM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc398 View Post
I am going to hop on with endthecurse on this one...almost every single post on here dealing with unlicensed cards/brands you favor is riddled with arrogance. Again, how are we fooled when you're the only one buying this stuff??

And on the unlicensed stuff...I don't know where you think people won't buy it solely because its unlicensed. I won't buy Sportskings because of the price point, value, design of the autos and memorabilia cards and the checklists. Congrats, you have nice stuff and a nice collection. Your arrogance is almost to the point where it seems like you are touting superiority because you can afford things that others can't.

People don't but TriStar because its poorly designed and comes from a company with no brand equity...like UD at least used to have.

The "uninformed masses" will continue to buy the stuff that is most collectible. The reason people are "sleeping" on Sportskings is because its not a mainstream product (I really like ITGs hockey stuff tho) and a poorly designed one at that. The reason people are "sleeping" on Tristar is that the cards have little value to the mainstream collector. IF you bust a $100 box and don't get any value people will stop busting your product...just like what happened with TriStar.
So why are people still busting the high-end upper deck products?

You guys make me laugh. You say I'm arrogant because I buy SK because it's expensive and insinuate I brag about it for this reason. In the same breath you say I'm arrogant because I buy Tristar, a product that is far from expensive. Is there a product out there I can buy that's different than what you like that you won't think up an arrogant reason why I would buy it?

I like what's different. SK isn't for everyone. Tristar isn't for everyone. I keep seeing countless masses losing money buying Topps and upper deck products. They come into this forum and explain how they are licking their wounds. I feel bad for them. I truly do. I won't buy these products because I don't see much future potential with cards numbered in the hundreds or thousands. I love limited production run products that are available to whomever wants to buy them. Not something you'd only get by attending games in a certain stadium, etc., but something that's available to everyone. SK, Tristar and a few others fit my bill for what I like to collect. SK is my high-end product, and Tristar is my prospect product.

Let's revisit this thread next year, and again a year after that and see where everyone's minds still are. In the mean time, you can jump on whatever band wagon you wish and continue to call me arrogant as often as you like. It's not going to change my mind or make me express my opinions any differently.
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,534
Default

i think this is great news. i just hope topps gives this its own design and doesnt just use the same boring design used for 2010 topps


strasberg has got to be in series one .......... i hope !!!!!!!!!!
mma138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 73
Default

Will this affect non-card collectables, like the Just Jerseys and Bats?
steel58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel58 View Post
Will this affect non-card collectables, like the Just Jerseys and Bats?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topps
The agreement makes Topps the only trading card manufacturer licensed by MLBP to produce nationally-distributed trading cards of top draft picks and prospects within Minor League Baseball, and will give Topps the rights to names & logos of the 160 affiliated Minor League clubs and current Minor League players in uniform on baseball cards and stickers beginning on January 1, 2010.
I don't see how Just Minors would be effected, other than not being allowed to include cards along with the bats/balls/etc...
__________________
Hockey & Baseball cards: http://www.checkoutmycards.com/Users/Riverdome
Riverdome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alabama
Posts: 408
Default

If Topps were to return to the approach of Classic, ProCards and CMC in 1990-1991, and issue large, cheap, pack-distributed sets for all levels of the minors, this could be a good thing. Unfortunately, Topps isn't in that business anymore.

I wish they'd just issue sets for all of the Winter Leagues instead.
DaClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #38 (permalink)
Moderator
 
iluvfish2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 22,081
Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel58 View Post
Will this affect non-card collectables, like the Just Jerseys and Bats?
I agree. This will in no way effect non card collectables. Those are a totally different market and one that has more to do with the players production, hype, and market locations than it really does with who makes it. Very similar to inperson/authenicated autographs. The more popular, sucessful, and larger market players do better than those that arent.
__________________
Blowouts Resident Wade Boggs Super Collector
iluvfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:48 PM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Elkins, WV
Posts: 1,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
If Topps were to return to the approach of Classic, ProCards and CMC in 1990-1991, and issue large, cheap, pack-distributed sets for all levels of the minors, this could be a good thing. Unfortunately, Topps isn't in that business anymore.

I wish they'd just issue sets for all of the Winter Leagues instead.
1990-about 1994, a lot of my collecting was based around Classic...I loved the Classic 4-Sport line. I look back now and I have a box of worthless Manon Rheaume (man she was hot back in the day)!! The collecting was fun for me when I was 13 and on a very low fixed income (my allowance). Until Upper Deck Minor League decided to put the can't miss prospect in their minor league product (Brien Taylor). But my point being this, minor league really never holds any value, it can be an affordable way to keep the younger collectors in the hobby. Have really cool looking inserts (like remember those of the 93/94/95 Fleer Ultra inserts) and don't serial # cards. Then maybe have one and only one mid/high end minor league product. Just my thought....
thebear29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alabama
Posts: 408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear29 View Post
But my point being this, minor league really never holds any value, it can be an affordable way to keep the younger collectors in the hobby.
That's my take on it. Heck, arrange to sell them at the minor league parks cheaper than retail, so there's the possibility of kids actually pulling cards of guys they can see at the game. I'm sort of the anti-investor/speculator. I don't touch a new minor league product until all the prospects have washed out and the shine has gone off the set. Then I can pick up boxes for about 20% of what they were selling for during the mad rush of the new release. Then I just have a bunch of fun busting packs of guys I've never heard of. In the past couple of years, I've bought a lot of boxes of Star, Best, Classic Best, LineDrive/Skybox, CMC and ProCards junk from 1989-1993 because I could snag it for under $10 a box instead of the $25-40 some of those were going for at one point. But usually the sets were pretty good. The 880 card 1990 CMC set was fun (if extremely poor quality) in how much it covered...ALL of Triple A, not just the top draft picks (and COACHES!). Ditto for the 1989 & 1990 ProCards. To me a current TriStar or Just set of no more than 130 cards is hardly worth the effort.

A set issued similar to the way Topps used to do the MLB sets would be nice. Plain card stock (no better than 1993 Topps), issued in packs of at LEAST 10 cards for no more than $1. And toss the minor league all stars in as inserts/chase cards, one per pack like the old glossy all stars or rookies sets. Make it about the cards and the players again, not about the scraps of plain grey uniform.
DaClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.