Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Topps Secures Exclusive Minor League Baseball Card Deal

Topps Secures Exclusive Minor League Baseball Card Deal

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL PROPERTIES AND THE TOPPS COMPANY SIGN EXCLUSIVE

MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TRADING CARD AGREEMENT

Exclusive Multi-Year Deal Begins on January 1, 2010

Major League Baseball Properties (MLBP) and the Topps Company, the leading creator and marketer of sports cards, today announced an exclusive multi-year licensing deal to make Topps the Official Baseball Card of Minor League Baseball.

The agreement makes Topps the only trading card manufacturer licensed by MLBP to produce nationally-distributed trading cards of top draft picks and prospects within Minor League Baseball, and will give Topps the rights to names & logos of the 160 affiliated Minor League clubs and current Minor League players in uniform on baseball cards and stickers beginning on January 1, 2010. In addition, Topps will now have the exclusive use of the Pro Debut logo. Its first product will be its 2010 Topps Pro Debut Series 1 to be unveiled in early March 2010.

“Topps is excited to become the official baseball card of Minor League Baseball as many of the young players today will be stars in the Major Leagues tomorrow,” said Warren Friss, Topps. “Now we’re the only trading card licensed by both Major League Baseball and Minor League Baseball and we look forward to a lasting relationship with both Leagues.”

“Topps continues to differentiate itself as the leader within the industry creating superior products for our fans,” said Howard Smith, Senior Vice President, Licensing, Major League Baseball. “Many fans begin to follow their favorite players as they become standout stars in the Minor Leagues, and a major avenue to build this connection is through collecting their Minor League cards.”

Minor League Baseball and Topps annually recognize the top prospects in baseball with the Topps Player of Month Awards and year-end classification all-star teams. “We are pleased to extend our long-standing relationship with The Topps Company into licensed trading cards,” said Minor League Baseball President Pat O’Conner. “This provides us with a unique opportunity to continue recognizing the best and brightest minor league talent while providing our fans and collectors high-quality trading card products.”

Earlier this year, Topps became the first exclusive baseball card company of Major League Baseball in nearly 30 years. The company looks to expand its ongoing efforts to invigorate the category, continue launching ground-breaking products, improve the retail and collecting experience and make cards more relevant to children.
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

wow, does that mean no one can make licensed baseball cards(at any american level) other than Topps?

-I do not send paypal payments as a gift, you pay your fee's and I will pay mine-
www.JLR0747.com
Twitter: @JLR0747
JLR0747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Uh oh...time to stock up on Tristar products. Not only will they be rare now, minor league cards will become more relevant!

Old 11-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm sure there will be some sort of loophole that other company's can get around to still make a product. My hope is that maybe there will be a true Bowman Draft product now. Can you imagine BDP with every single player drafted? It would be a gold mine.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by premium1981 View Post
I'm sure there will be some sort of loophole that other company's can get around to still make a product. My hope is that maybe there will be a true Bowman Draft product now. Can you imagine BDP with every single player drafted? It would be a gold mine.
Agreed, that would be a nice product!

-I do not send paypal payments as a gift, you pay your fee's and I will pay mine-
www.JLR0747.com
Twitter: @JLR0747
JLR0747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Not too sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Uh oh...time to stock up on Tristar products. Not only will they be rare now, minor league cards will become more relevant!

I agree that Topps may now blend in some of their experience and name recognition and help minor league cards become more popular.
I'm not so sure about Tristar and Razor products being more desirable. I think it depends on how hot a player is when he hits the bigtime and what's available. If there's a Bowman Minor League auto of Justin Smoak in 2010, that may overshadow previous cards from "supposed" lesser companies.

IMHO,
Vinny
Guitars, fishing, and trading cards, safer than a lot of other habits. If I post a pic of a player, I took it. I may not be the oldest member here but I paid $8. an auto and shook Joe DiMaggio's hand at the Armenian Church in NYC once.
VinnyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to bmc398

I have mixed feelings on this. Up until about 2005 or 2006 Topps/Bowman used to do this product category right. When they moved to 3 products a year and watered down checklists and amped up production they hurt the "prospect" category a lot. To say that Tristar does a good job with MiLB cards is funny tho....why does that stuff tank and why do singles sell so low?

Why will topps being an exclusive make past Tristar releases any better. I don't get it. I think this will help clear the divide of what a rookie card is now tho. Cards of guys in Minor League unis will obvously be prospect cards and guys in MLB unis and with the RC logo will be considered rookies. Don;t want to get into this debate again, but I think I can see where MLB had their heads at on this one.
bmc398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc398 View Post
I think this will help clear the divide of what a rookie card is now tho.
i don't, not that is matters any more.
phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

My first thought upon reading this was how does this affect the rookie card designation. Hopefully, for cards issued going forward this gives them some wiggle room to clarify this.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Let me explain this to everyone as clearly as I can:

One day, the first card a player appears on will be considered his true rookie card again. Any rule made up or conceived that states otherwise will be considered trivial and comical at best.

This is commons sense. You have all been fooled by false rules that mean absolutely nothing, but nearly everyone bought into it. LOL
Old 11-30-2009, 06:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:

just like Razor was supposed to become huge in the prospect card market?.....jk with ya.

but i do disagree with you. and agree 100% with VinnyH.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_steelers07 View Post
just like Razor was supposed to become huge in the prospect card market?.....jk with ya.

but i do disagree with you. and agree 100% with VinnyH.
I can take it. People have been disagreeing with me for a long time now.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:

One day, the first card a player appears on will be considered his true rookie card again. Any rule made up or conceived that states otherwise will be considered trivial and comical at best.

This is commons sense. You have all been fooled by false rules that mean absolutely nothing, but nearly everyone bought into it. LOL
You had better stock up on Classic and Best then.

Buying Brandon Hughes (OSU/Chargers) Auto's and low numbered cards.
cardsrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I can take it. People have been disagreeing with me for a long time now.
.....being the key phrase....
Old 11-30-2009, 07:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to bmc398

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsrus1 View Post
Bingo...

But honestly this year is the first year where guys RC logo autos are selling better than their prospects stuff. The logo is catching on and when its a guy who hasn't had a beckett defined RC yet...the cards take off!!

Look at Beckham, Porcello and Hanson sales and tell me you wouldnt rather have a RC logo auto of them...
bmc398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

would still rather have a 2008 Bowman Chrome Beckham auto
Old 11-30-2009, 07:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
I would if a HOF player had his 1st card ever be one of these cards. I'd be a fool not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_steelers07 View Post
.....being the key phrase....
What? I'm still young.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I would if a HOF player had his 1st card ever be one of these cards. I'd be a fool not to.

What? I'm still young.

Jeter have a chance at the Hall? He was in a high school set. Most of the recent HOF players were in minor league sets before Topps rookies...

Buying Brandon Hughes (OSU/Chargers) Auto's and low numbered cards.
cardsrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

Wow, this is terrible news. I hope this doesn't extend to the team issued sets from Choice and MultiAd.
DaClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Jeter have a chance at the Hall? He was in a high school set. Most of the recent HOF players were in minor league sets before Topps rookies...
And Tiger Woods has a 1996 SI card that happens to be the most sought after card of his commanding a huge premium over his 2001 UD SP rookie card.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:39 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:

Sportscards evolved to place value on popular cards in high demand (usually based on brand), not scarcity or a players first issue regardless of product...Doesn't something seem weird that you're claiming everyone else has been fooled?...?
Cutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:42 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
And Tiger Woods has a 1996 SI card that happens to be the most sought after card of his commanding a huge premium over his 2001 UD SP rookie card.
there's a bit of a production/condition difference there chief.....
Old 11-30-2009, 09:47 PM   #23 (permalink)

Good opportunity for Topps to solidify Bowman.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:05 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:

Man, we've all heard you beat the drum for minor league cards before. This is a bit much, though, and it's actually an arrogant series of statements that make you look foolish.

A quick look through your COMC site shows 781 TriStar cards - well over 50% of the total baseball cards you have for sale. Now that Topps has an exclusive, you know the value of these cards will decline and feel compelled to make crazy declarations of "future prices" in hopes that we will visit your site and take some of these cards off your hands.

While I'm sure minor league cards from companies like TriStar and Just will have a place with collectors, to compare them with cards like the '96 SI Tiger is just ridiculous. Your only goal with statments like this was to steer potential buyers to your own stack of TriStar cards - unless you truly believe that you're the only bright one among us (which wouldn't shock me, given what I've read).
endthecurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by endthecurse View Post
Man, we've all heard you beat the drum for minor league cards before. This is a bit much, though, and it's actually an arrogant series of statements that make you look foolish.

A quick look through your COMC site shows 781 TriStar cards - well over 50% of the total baseball cards you have for sale. Now that Topps has an exclusive, you know the value of these cards will decline and feel compelled to make crazy declarations of "future prices" in hopes that we will visit your site and take some of these cards off your hands.

While I'm sure minor league cards from companies like TriStar and Just will have a place with collectors, to compare them with cards like the '96 SI Tiger is just ridiculous. Your only goal with statments like this was to steer potential buyers to your own stack of TriStar cards - unless you truly believe that you're the only bright one among us (which wouldn't shock me, given what I've read).
Now how do I respond to this?

I never pointed to my COMC cards, so you're wrong with that statement. I didn't even realize I had so many Tristar cards on the COMC web site. At least not more than half of all my baseball cards. Wow! Is there an easy, quick way I can check to see how those cards have sold? I know I sell a lot of them. You can't average selling $2,000 every month and have over half your baseball cards be minor league Tristar cards, and get nothing for them. Thanks for the free advertisement.

Calling me "arrogant" huh? I was simply giving my opinion again. Like when I said licenses won't matter in the near future BEFORE the big dogs started losing their licenses. People used to say they wouldn't buy unlicensed products. People used to say they wouldn't prospect minor league cards. I wonder how many hypocrites we're going to see pop up next year. A few hundred, or thousands upon thousands?

Call it arrogance if you want, I call it like I see it. It's plain as day to me.