Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Mantle Family Claims Most of Mick's Autographs Fake

Mickey Mantle memorabilia and cards are still the gold standard for post-War era collectors...but that also means those items are an inviting target for crooks.

He's been gone 14 years now, a victim of liver cancer at the relatively young age of 63. Mickey Mantle never could sign enough autographs to satisfy the demand--even when he was still alive and making the baseball card show circuit in the 1980s. His cards are still expensive.

You have to be in your 50s to have good memories of The Mick in his playing days, but he's an icon to Yankee fans of all ages, even with his flaws. Mantle drank too much, could be surly at times and didn't always treat everyone the way they treated him. Yet he was the All-American hero to many while patrolling the Yankee Stadiuim outfield from 1951-68.

Mantle's autograph is one that was a favorite of the forgers in Operation Bullpen several years ago. His signature is still being faked today because it's still valuable.

full article:

Collectors, crooks love Mantle memorabilia

supporting article:
Mantle Family Claims Most of Mick's Autographs Fake | Sports Collecting News, Me-Sports Collectors Daily
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

I read an article a while back, I believe it stated that about 90% of all Mantle Autographs on Ebay were not authentic. That numbers seems to line up with this article. This is why it is so hard to buy anything signed these days. I'm trying to remember who the company was, but I remember a few years back, there was a company who sold every autograph you could think of. They could get you any autograph, and it was spot on! I know eventually they were caught by the FBI (I think it was the FBI). But so much fake stuff made it's way on to the market, and it looked that good.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
I read an article a while back, I believe it stated that about 90% of all Mantle Autographs on Ebay were not authentic. That numbers seems to line up with this article. This is why it is so hard to buy anything signed these days. I'm trying to remember who the company was, but I remember a few years back, there was a company who sold every autograph you could think of. They could get you any autograph, and it was spot on! I know eventually they were caught by the FBI (I think it was the FBI). But so much fake stuff made it's way on to the market, and it looked that good.
90% is a bit high I would say. Just my opinion.

Now Collecting: Ken Griffey Jr. & Kevin Garnett
guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to mjbentzen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
Yeah, the ones sold on the QVC type late night show with the past owner of Classic, Scoreboard, Signature Rookies, Front Row, etc...

Came on wood plaques where the screws holding the plastic went right through the photo too... but the photos were not even printed on photo paper, to look older.

Ken Goldin was his name

Always looking to buy Game Used or Autographs for $1-$2 each!
Do you know anyone that has 2011 Topps Gypsy Queen Queens Autographs #12, #15, or
2012 Topps Gypsy Queen Kings Autographs? I am building these sets!
mjbentzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to mjbentzen

Here is an example of a bogus Scoreboard COA

Great info on Autograph fakes:
Autographs - News and Notes

Always looking to buy Game Used or Autographs for $1-$2 each!
Do you know anyone that has 2011 Topps Gypsy Queen Queens Autographs #12, #15, or
2012 Topps Gypsy Queen Kings Autographs? I am building these sets!
mjbentzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbentzen View Post
Here is an example of a bogus Scoreboard COA

Great info on Autograph fakes:
Autographs - News and Notes
Scoreboard Inc was not a coroporation when Babe Ruth was alive. LOL!

If people don't know that they deserve to get screwed.

Now Collecting: Ken Griffey Jr. & Kevin Garnett
guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

There was a place out in California that used to have full page adds in the SCD that was busted for selling fake autos back in the late 90s. They had 8x10s of anyone and everyone including celebs that were well below market price and sure enough all fake. I bought an Earl Campbell from them and got burned. The first lesson in autos is if its too good a deal you should avoid. It makes you wonder anymore about the card industry with autos as well. I've been skeptical ever since the UD fiasco and I sometimes wonder how many of my deceased HOFer autos are real. Authentication is all speculative anyway. Its not some exact science as even the best in the business get fooled or disagree from time to time.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
There was a place out in California that used to have full page adds in the SCD that was busted for selling fake autos back in the late 90s. They had 8x10s of anyone and everyone including celebs that were well below market price and sure enough all fake. I bought an Earl Campbell from them and got burned. The first lesson in autos is if its too good a deal you should avoid. It makes you wonder anymore about the card industry with autos as well. I've been skeptical ever since the UD fiasco and I sometimes wonder how many of my deceased HOFer autos are real. Authentication is all speculative anyway. Its not some exact science as even the best in the business get fooled or disagree from time to time.
This is the company I am talking about. I can't for the life of me rember their name. They were huge, and they did it for a while.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Old 12-07-2009, 11:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
90% is a bit high I would say. Just my opinion.
I don't know if that is legit or not. I would really like to pick up a Mantle, and I have thought about it a lot lately. However with the recent article about his family stating that 90-95% are fake, and another article stating the same (it was written by a Mantle authenticator) - I start to believe that the fakes out weight the real.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Old 12-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
I've been skeptical ever since the UD fiasco and I sometimes wonder how many of my deceased HOFer autos are real.
Care to explain?
Tucci_Bandana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucci_Bandana View Post
Care to explain?
You really going to make me search this for you?
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Old 12-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

Albert Einstein Cut Auto

or better yet

$85,000 UD Legendary Cuts Card May Have TWO Fake Autographs!
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Old 12-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Default 2 from collections...

I'll never really know if these are real. I had a PSA/DNA guy say they were bad at my friend's shop. It didn't cost me, luckily. I got them in bigger collections so I don't feel I'm out any real money.

Oh well,
Vinny
PS: I've also been next to Mantle when he was obviously hungover at a Dallas show. Who says he signed 1,000 autos exactly the same that day?
Old 12-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Thank you!!!
Tucci_Bandana is offline   Reply With Quote