Blowout Cards Forums
ebay event 8.25.14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Upper Deck signs autograph deal with Pete Rose

Upper Deck signs autograph deal with Pete Rose
January 6, 2010, 1:54 pm

This is another of those benefits of being unlicensed.

Upper Deck announced Wednesday that it has signed all-time hits leader Pete Rose to an autograph deal to include him in the company’s 2010 baseball sets.

He will make his debut alongside “Shoeless” Joe Jackson in 2010 Goudey Baseball, which is set to arrive on March 18.

Like Jackson, Rose is on baseball’s ineligible list after he was banned for life for gambling. Because of this, Rose cannot appear on any cards or memorabilia licensed by Major League Baseball Properties. Upper Deck’s 2010 cards are only licensed by the MLB Players Association.

Because of this, Rose has appeared on just one card produced by Upper Deck — a card in the the 1994 Upper Deck: The American Epic set (above). His only appearances on cards since 1989 (not many) have been in products that were not licensed by MLB Properties.

“Despite his current ban from baseball, Pete Rose’s signature and game-used memorabilia cards continue to be sought-after by baseball fans and card collectors everywhere,” said Gabriel Garcia, Upper Deck’s baseball brand manager in a release. “We are extremely excited to have Pete be a part of our newest baseball card releases.”

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball and Beckett Graded Card Investor. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an e-mail to him at colds@beckett.com.

Upper Deck signs autograph deal with Pete Rose The Beckett Blog
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

I absolutely love this!!! Upper deck is going to become a lot like Sportkings!

(If any of you don't like my comment just now, tough! It's how I feel and what I've been saying all along).
Old 01-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

I think its cool because Pete Rose should be in the hal of fame, baseball is just messed up all around, look ate the HOF class today, ridiculous
BroncosFAN#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nice. If they manage on card autos w/ some nice patches? I can hear the whistle of SKs as they plummet.....
Old 01-06-2010, 04:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjustinfarrell View Post
Nice. If they manage on card autos w/ some nice patches? I can hear the whistle of SKs as they plummet.....
"IF they manage on-card autos"...LOL

"w/ some nice patches"...LOL

Don't forget about "no redemptions", "no release delays", "limited production runs", and "much better customer service". This would all be great if upper deck could pull it off, but I just don't see it ever happening. Their ship has been sinking for a while now while SK keeps building steam.

I'm sorry, I couldn't help but laugh. If they manage any one of these with an unlicensed product, it will be because they are following SK's lead. If people buy an unlicensed upper deck product that used to talk down to SK because it was unlicensed, they are hypocrites.

I can't wait to see all this play out. This is going to be a LOT of fun.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to bmc398

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
"IF they manage on-card autos"...LOL

"w/ some nice patches"...LOL

Don't forget about "no redemptions", "no release delays", "limited production runs", and "much better customer service". This would all be great if upper deck could pull it off, but I just don't see it ever happening. Their ship has been sinking for a while now while SK keeps building steam.

I'm sorry, I couldn't help but laugh. If they manage any one of these with an unlicensed product, it will be because they are following SK's lead. If people buy an unlicensed upper deck product that used to talk down to SK because it was unlicensed, they are hypocrites.

I can't wait to see all this play out. This is going to be a LOT of fun.
To me...being unlicensed doesn't matter...its the appearance of the card. You can't argue that not having a logo where its supposed to be takes away from the beauty of the card.

i don't think UD is doing this to follow the lead of SK...they are doing it because its the only way they can make money in the baseball card market in 2010 unless you're Topps.

ANd also, UD won't deliver on no-redemptions, making release dates and good customer service like SK does. Its just going to be new and less appealing products with the same old UD customer service!

When I talk down about SK its not the fact that its unlicensed...its more about the value proposition/price point (dont bust UD either because of this), the poor design of the base auto cards, and the lack of logos. I also think that while the heavy hitters they have are good additions to a checklist....the checklist doesn't appeal to a lot of collectors. The unlicensed part of the debate is very small for me....If you make a solid product at an obtainable price point and include some value...its a product I would open. I've never bought SK...but have seen boxes and boxes of Series A and B busted with little value in the 5+ cases I saw.

Last edited by bmc398; 01-06-2010 at 05:04 PM.
bmc398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc398 View Post
To me...being unlicensed doesn't matter...its the appearance of the card. You can't argue that not having a logo where its supposed to be takes away from the beauty of the card.

i don't think UD is doing this to follow the lead of SK...they are doing it because its the only way they can make money in the baseball card market in 2010 unless you're Topps.

ANd also, UD won't deliver on no-redemptions, making release dates and good customer service like SK does. Its just going to be new and less appealing products with the same old UD customer service!

When I talk down about SK its not the fact that its unlicensed...its more about the value proposition/price point (dont bust UD either because of this), the poor design of the base auto cards, and the lack of logos. I also think that while the heavy hitters they have are good additions to a checklist....the checklist doesn't appeal to a lot of collectors. The unlicensed part of the debate is very small for me....If you make a solid product at an obtainable price point and include some value...its a product I would open. I've never bought SK...but have seen boxes and boxes of Series A and B busted with little value in the 5+ cases I saw.
I can agree with most of this. People just need to understand that there's not a company on this planet that can produce the exact cards SK does for a cheaper selling price than SK charges and not lose money. If SK didn't limit it like they do, and didn't have as many case hits, like upper deck will undoubtedly do, they could charge a much cheaper price.

People also need to understand that there is a market for SK outside of ebay. Once cards hit ebay, they almost always sell for less than what they would have sold for, (or already sold for), off line. I never realized how big the off-line buying world was until I became serious with SK. Having said that, once cards hit ebay, it's extremely likely that a couple of top buyers already have that card. Even most 1/1s sell for more off-line than on-line. I'm sure that's strange to some and completely confusing to others, but it's 100% fact. That's why those that bust to flip on ebay have a hard time making money unless they are buying SK Super Boxes. (hint, hint).
Old 01-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Another reasons to hate Baseball product !! I could care less about collecting players that cheat and/or bring the game down !!

Kent
Kent Clements is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I can agree with most of this. People just need to understand that there's not a company on this planet that can produce the exact cards SK does for a cheaper selling price than SK charges and not lose money. If SK didn't limit it like they do, and didn't have as many case hits, like upper deck will undoubtedly do, they could charge a much cheaper price.

People also need to understand that there is a market for SK outside of ebay. Once cards hit ebay, they almost always sell for less than what they would have sold for, (or already sold for), off line. I never realized how big the off-line buying world was until I became serious with SK. Having said that, once cards hit ebay, it's extremely likely that a couple of top buyers already have that card. Even most 1/1s sell for more off-line than on-line. I'm sure that's strange to some and completely confusing to others, but it's 100% fact. That's why those that bust to flip on ebay have a hard time making money unless they are buying SK Super Boxes. (hint, hint).
I agree with most of what you said too...

My issue is...ive seen cases and cases busted...and the value isnt there for most of the "case hits"

You are right about them having to charge more for the "dud" boxes...the cut sig hits and patches and autos of the guys in these sets aren't cheap. Its like any other product...some boxes are bad...some are good but they all cost the same and cost what they do to balance out the cost and make a profit in the end.

I also understand there is a market outside of Ebay for this stuff...not here in Atlanta tho...or even in my circle of collectors. We do prospects, young stars and a few HOFs and of course collect our teams but guys have been burned by cases of this stuff big time...guys who sell on ebay but also guys who don't. People pass up guys like Mike Schmidt and others who have better looking autos and memorabilia in other sets. If you hit one of the rare autos or a guy who isn't in mainstream releases you will do well tho.

Now, I saw those super boxes with the 1of1 patches and some of the ones you have are incredible...but not many collectors had the $600+ to shell out on them.

And then here's my main point...how collector friendly can a company be that prices 95% of cardboard collectors/rippers out of the market in the first place?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Now, I saw those super boxes with the 1of1 patches and some of the ones you have are incredible...but not many collectors had the $600+ to shell out on them.

And then here's my main point...how collector friendly can a company be that prices 95% of cardboard collectors/rippers out of the market in the first place?
In regards to the Super Boxes and collectors not being about to spend the $650 they cost...I understand that. It's just that every single collector that spent $650 on the 2009 Super Boxes and contacted me about the cards made money. 100% of them did. Each box yielded at least TWO very nice 1/1 cards that had an average sale price of over $400 each!

I understand what you're saying about "collector friendly". I would absolutely love for SK to be a mainstream product selling cards in Wal-Mart, Target, etc. It's just not how they do things yet. Hopefully that will change. They are a relatively small Canadian company. Creating a main-stream product might be bigger than them. I just don't done.

This is a great discussion. Thank you for your posts thus far.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
In regards to the Super Boxes and collectors not being about to spend the $650 they cost...I understand that. It's just that every single collector that spent $650 on the 2009 Super Boxes and contacted me about the cards made money. 100% of them did. Each box yielded at least TWO very nice 1/1 cards that had an average sale price of over $400 each!

I understand what you're saying about "collector friendly". I would absolutely love for SK to be a mainstream product selling cards in Wal-Mart, Target, etc. It's just not how they do things yet. Hopefully that will change. They are a relatively small Canadian company. Creating a main-stream product might be bigger than them. I just don't done.

This is a great discussion. Thank you for your posts thus far.
Let me say this...the last thing I want ANY company to do is start selling stuff in WAL-Mart and Target. i don't and won't buy retail unless it is a sealed blaster of a hot product. I just don't like the medium as it is centered around the kids...yet the packsearchers take the element of them getting any hits out of it completely. Topps and UD do it still...not because I think they really want to but because their roots in the hobby involves the kids. Not every kid can ride his bike to the hobby store (or even convince his mom to take him) but most kids go shopping with the parents and can pick up a pack here and there. I think the companies that sell retail should increase the hits and blister the packs so the kids are guranteed something good every once in awhile!

I digressed from my point a bit...what I ask for is a product that can deliver the hits yet keep prices realistic. Sportkings could have defintely done some things upon release to make the product more accessible. They could have "packed" it out better and maybe made it $100 per pack vs. $300+ for the box to include impulse buyers like me to get a pack or 2 when i've got the extra change.

From a marketing standpoint id want as many different people ripping my wax as possible...even if it is more limited in print run...wouldn't that make it even more limited if there was more demand then there already was?

I would have loved to have gotten in on those super boxes but at such a large price point it would be hard for me to even clear up that kind of $$$ (i'm a 24 recent college grad that is recently unemployed as well) to make an initial investment. Id honestly rather have somebody who would enjoy the cards to have it rather than me busting it for profit (but its always nice to make a little $$$).

I too always enjoy talking and debating you on these things.

Question....is that Cardboard concepts company in any way related to the makers of SK? The designs look very similar. And what was the sporting life thing you were talking about? You can PM me the details.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
I too always enjoy talking and debating you on these things.

Question....is that Cardboard concepts company in any way related to the makers of SK? The designs look very similar. And what was the sporting life thing you were talking about? You can PM me the details.
Yes, Creative Cardboard Concepts is a company by Dr. Brian Price. The same guy that owns the rights to Sportkings and ITG, (In The Game).
Old 01-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

It's like a tiger chasing its tail. If demand increases for ANY product, production will increas along with it. You watch, Topps decreased production on some very popular products this year. Try to hunt down some Topps Heritage or even some BDPP right now. Next year people will be waiting in line for these products and I bet they will print a ton of it and water it down to meet demand. Heck, it already happened with Heritage High number. The market is flooded with it (although I think they might have screwed up on this one). If the demand for Sport Kings, Heritage, Bowman draft, etc.... is there, they will produce it. It's like any company in the US right now, don't create what people need, create what you can make people THINK they need. Just my 2 cents.

STUMP
Check out my photobucket by clicking on my homepage in the drop down list under my username. Looking for any Twins cards I don't have, and Mickey Mantle refractors that I don't have. I will trade for bait, on occasion. 2011 Topps Chrome auto set completed!!
stumpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote