Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default UD's Collector of the Month: Josh Mattson

Great story...By Chris Carlin

Collector of the Month: Josh Mattson

Every month, Upper Deck will spotlight one of our valued collectors to showcase their collection. The great thing about sports collectors is that they are all very different in what they collect, how they collect items and what they do once they have them. One common trait is the passion they share that is seldom found in any other group.

On Veteran’s Day, Upper Deck announced the “Million Pack March for the Troops” program to encourage collectors to donate sealed packs to troops serving overseas. Upper Deck started off the program by donating 100,000 packs last month. So, to help get a little more exposure for this program, this month we are spending some time with Josh Mattson from Killeen, Texas close to Ft. Hood. He served in the U.S. Army for 13 years and retired in December, 2007.

We all have that moment when we saw a player who just blew our mind and made us question if we actually really saw what they just did. For Josh Mattson, that player was Barry Sanders. The former Lion great would routinely make plays that would make a Lion fan out of almost anyone (except maybe the team he was playing against). It was Sanders who made Mattson a die-hard fan of the Detroit Lions. It was Sanders who made Mattson want to collect trading cards and he’s been enjoying the hobby ever since.

“My favorite pull from Upper Deck NFL products would have to be my Exquisite Barry Sanders autograph serial numbered 02/30,” shared Mattson. “My prized possessions include my Barry Sanders and Matthew Stafford autographs along with the complete 2008 NFL SP Authentic set, including short-printed rookies. My dream card would be a Barry Sanders one-of-one autograph card, but those are VERY hard to come by.”

About three years ago Mattson was deployed to serve in Iraq (November 2005-November 2006). We asked him what he could do during downtime and he shared, “It is kind of rough. Downtime is pretty rare as is, but when you get it, you try and watch movies, call home, spend time on the internet, just anything to try to take your mind off all the stress related to combat.”

“It’s difficult to watch games over there and keep up with your team,” said Mattson. “You are just so busy, the games come on at such odd times, and it just gets difficult to try to keep track of. I can remember staying up until about 3:00am on my second deployment to Iraq in order to watch Super Bowl XL between the Steelers and Seahawks.”

With so many different people from so many places serving in the military, there were bound to be some strong opinions on whose team was better. “When I was deployed, my roommate was a big Vikings fan so there was definitely some verbal sparring since the Lions and Vikings are in the same division,” said Mattson. “I cannot tell you the amount of time soldiers discussed football, sports and players over there. We would spend hours debating who was the better quarterback, running back, etc.”

Whether you agree or not with the United States’ conflicts abroad, there is no debating the courageous service the men and women of the U.S. Military provide. When you think about how stressful your job is, just think about how much more stressful it would be to serve in harms way thousands of miles away from your family and friends.

Upper Deck believes that we should do whatever we can to make being deployed a little easier for our heroes abroad, which is why we came up with the “Million Pack March for the Troops.” Through a strategic partnership with Operation Gratitude, a non-profit organization that sends care packages to U.S. Military serving overseas, we are hoping to get 1,000,000 packs of sealed trading cards donated by Veteran’s Day 2010. In an effort to reach this goal, Upper Deck will match every pack donated by patriotic Americans.

“Everyone I knew in Iraq who collected really enjoyed it,” said Mattson. “Opening packs and trading cards in Iraq made you feel like you really had a piece of home with you and it was great to be doing something that wasn’t combat related. I had my friends send me some packs while I was deployed and when you receive them it’s an awesome feeling. It really takes your mind of everything and you’re actually excited.”
Josh showing off some of the best items from his Detroit Lions collection.

Josh showing off some of the best items from his Detroit Lions collection.

“Collectors should donate to Upper Deck’s ‘Million Pack March for the Troops’ because when you are deployed overseas, there is really no way to collect. You have no hobby shops, no way to get cards and certainly no reminders of the sports you love over there. Your donations could serve to make a lot of soldiers happy, to help provide them a real thrill, to help make them feel closer to home, and most importantly to take their mind off everything going on around them.”

Sadly, during his service in Iraq, Josh Mattson was injured by a roadside bomb on May 15, 2006. The bomb detonated about three meters from the front passenger side of the truck and shrapnel pierced the armor and was lodged in his left leg. Josh also suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and a broken left knee in the explosion. Josh continues to receive treatment at the VA hospital while he does physical therapy on his leg. He is working hard at his recovery and doing well. He medically retired as a Staff Sergeant due to his combat injuries December, 2007.

Oddly enough we found Josh when he contacted us because he was thinking about those he left behind. He was looking to work with us on getting care packages to other soldiers serving abroad, before he knew about the “Million Pack March for the Troops.” With your help, Josh can focus on getting better and his own collection while we work on getting packs to the troops. We encourage you to donate sealed packs of Upper Deck trading cards for this program by sending them to the following address:

Operation Gratitude/California Army National Guard
Attn. Upper Deck’s Million Pack March for the Troops
17330 Victory Boulevard
Van Nuys, CA 91406

If you are looking to trade out your Lions cards or would just like to thank him for his service, Josh Mattson can be reached at jmattson76@yahoo.com.

Collector of the Month: Josh Mattson | Upper Deck Blog
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm glad to see Upper Deck is doing something like this. I hope they have the best of intentions and those 100,000 packs they are donating, I hope they are quality packs and not from left over inventories.

Perhaps UD can turn things around and start doing things right again. Believe it or not, I'd like to see them become a company of integrity. Maybe this is their first step.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
I'm glad to see Upper Deck is doing something like this. I hope they have the best of intentions and those 100,000 packs they are donating, I hope they are quality packs and not from left over inventories.

Perhaps UD can turn things around and start doing things right again. Believe it or not, I'd like to see them become a company of integrity. Maybe this is their first step.
No matter the best intentions of Chris Carlin or the rest of the staff, UD will never have ethics or morals until McWilliams is removed from the company.

It's the same with Al Davis. The Raiders will never succeed as long as he is in power.
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

I've never met McWilliams but Carlins a good guy...He's doing the best he can to right the ship at UD. He deserves credit especially when they doing something decent like the collector of the month..you can probably bash him for other things but not this one...

-Chris
Old 01-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I'm not blasting Carlin, I've met him and think he's a good guy, just in a bad position because he works for the Darth Vader of the card hobby. Everytime he makes 1 positive step, McDingleberry screws everyone by doing something that sets them 10 steps back.
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Point well taken...
Old 01-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

great idea and for once upper deck is doing something right!!!!!

thanks to blowout and the b.a.t!! i put a box aside that i won and will send it to them to help reach a million packs!!

my sister is in the airforce and as been over there twice!!! also there are quite a few guys on this forum who have been over there or are on there way over there. or have served this country in the past. at the least they deserve something to put a smile on there face or keep there mind off things if not for a minute for risking their lives to make sure we have the chance to collect cards and enjoy are hobbies!!!!!!!!

thank you u.s. troops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! from a blowout card member!!!!!!!
248rayment4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

yeah i know a few people at UD, and they're good guys. carlins awesome, too.

also, im gonna be the new Collector of the Month, so look out for me
RichSlyFox14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Damn thats awesome...im currently deployed in Afghanistan and have had only few care packages from people but let me say its like christmas in july...to open a box and see some goodies is awesome. I love what I do and I love my country. Pat, Chris or the whole youtube card collecting community can tell you that collecting cards is pretty much the one thing I do over here to get my mind off of whats going on around me. Since ive been here ive added so much to my PC and also traded/sold a few things too....for example
-I pulled a MJ Limited logs patch auto /23 from 08/09 exq this year...i didnt wanna sell it but I do have 2 lovely children and wanted to make there xmas AWESOME so i sold it on ebay for $2200..it was hard since im a die hard patch collector.
-I have started to put together the 09 Topps Magic Football set and I have around 115 of the 250 autos from the base auto set.
-I have opened or have had other people open boxes from all types of football products for me and for some reason Jim Brown is following me (1 topps magic auto, 2 limited 09 autos, and 1 NT auto) all within the past 8 months!!!!

The list can go on forever lol... well all i wanna say is thanks to al lthe people who deal with cards...not just the big dogs, all the way down to the UD floor where they "hand pack" the exq boxes for max vaule lol too funny to the lovely people at Blowout cards who get tons of orders a day and still get peoples packages out within a day.

Hope all is well back home...and I hope I win one of the SB pools (I won a case with the halftime score last year thanks to a 100 yard interception for a TD NICE)

Thanks again

SSG ALEXANDER TRESSLER
US ARMY ATC
FORT BRAGG, NC
currently deployed in AFGHANISTAN
armyatc22 is offline   Reply With Quote