Blowout Cards Forums
4/4/14 Coupon

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default The Hobby Rumor Mill … Jan. 20, 2010

The Hobby Rumor Mill … Jan. 20, 2010

“I love rumors! Facts can be so misleading, where rumors, true or false, are often revealing.”

Here’s a little something that should get the card collectors abuzz … a little something we’ll throw out there from time to time called The Hobby Rumor Mill.

Are all of the items legit? Maybe not, but even the ones we think are true haven’t yet been confirmed or officially unveiled. In some cases, the companies ain’t talking, either.

Until then, chew on these …

– Rumor has it … that things are rough for some companies in the industry. Example? One of them recently owed the IRS nearly $100 million.

– Rumor has it … that Beckett Media’s Tim Trout will appear on a card in a 2010 product. (But no autographs — he’s too darn pricey and doesn’t have the time for signing.) Perhaps he’ll be replaced on the checklist by hobby icon Tracy Hackler? (As long as it’s not a Collector’s Edge card.)

– Rumor has it … that one company might not be finished releasing baseball card sets this year before Upper Deck’s exclusive with the Collegiate Licensing Company kicks in.

– Rumor has it … that one baseball card company won’t be bothering to airbrush team logos off of its 2010 baseball cards. We know it’s not Topps — they like their MLB logos and aren’t afraid to tell us they’re the MLB exclusive on their wrappers. And we don’t know for sure what Upper Deck’s doing since it hasn’t yet released anything visual for any of the four sets that it has announced. Perhaps these rumors will be confirmed with the long-rumored forthcoming return of TCMA?

– Rumor has it … that things are rough for some companies in the industry — but it’s not rough for everyone. One company has hired an external public relations firm to help promote its widening array of products.

– Rumor has it … actually this one’s not a rumor. If it’s a Relic card and it’s got a piece of wood with flaking green, blue or red paint on it you can bet it’s probably not a baseball bat. (Common sense, people.)

We’ll bring you more from The Hobby Rumor Mill soon.

The Hobby Rumor Mill … Jan. 20, 2010 The Beckett Blog
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to bmc398

Reason #1 I hate Beckett right here...

This article was written very condescendingly. Yeah, we do cards as a hobby and you do it as a job but most of us are very knowledgeable too. Just because you work at Beckett doesn't mean you are the be all end all of cards and the industry. This is one of the reasons I ended my subscriptions to these @$$holes 15 months ago. That and their card valuations have nothing to do with what cards really sell for in the hobby.

Did anybody catch the DEEE break where they made fun of all the people who blasted them for pulling the 1 of 1 AP out of Exquisite? Nobody thinks you pulled special boxes of DEEE off the line...its not a thousands of dollars a hit product. But how far off is the criticism when you pull the best card in the product in one box of exquisite??

Last edited by bmc398; 01-20-2010 at 06:06 PM.
bmc398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc398 View Post
Reason #1 I hate Beckett right here...

This article was written very condescendingly. Yeah, we do cards as a hobby and you do it as a job but most of us are very knowledgeable too. Just because you work at Beckett doesn't mean you are the be all end all of cards and the industry. This is one of the reasons I ended my subscriptions to these @$$holes 15 months ago. That and their card valuations have nothing to do with what cards really sell for in the hobby.

Did anybody catch the DEEE break where they made fun of all the people who blasted them for pulling the 1 of 1 AP out of Exquisite? Nobody thinks you pulled special boxes of DEEE off the line...its not a thousands of dollars a hit product. But how far off is the criticism when you pull the best card in the product in one box of exquisite??
Same story, different post with you it seems. This isn't the first time you thought something written was written in a condescending way. I like what they said and found nothing condescending in it at all.

Must you call names in this forum? It's really a childish thing to do.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Same story, different post with you it seems. This isn't the first time you thought something written was written in a condescending way. I like what they said and found nothing condescending in it at all.

Must you call names in this forum? It's really a childish thing to do.
How is the last line in that story not condescending? I feel like this directly links to the whole Topps "is it a bat or is it a stadium seat" debate. Collectors don't need to be talked down to in this manner. Is it so naive to think that topps would actually put a bat in a product instead of trying to pass off a seat as a game used relic (ok...well obviously it is naive).

And I invite you to watch the DEEE box busters and see for yourself how condescending the guys are when talking about the AP incident.

I don't get why i'm being called childish by somebody who spends all their spare time pimping a brand of cards 25% of the hobby has never even heard of and 5% care about.

Plus...why are you so offended? Its not like I called you a name. What would your reaction have been had I let a bad comment about SK? Oh NO!

Last edited by bmc398; 01-20-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well, I guess that explains why Upper Deck hasn't been showing images of things like Ultimate Baseball. I hope they do release stuff as is...UD is already a sinking ship so why not?
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc398 View Post
How is the last line in that story not condescending? I feel like this directly links to the whole Topps "is it a bat or is it a stadium seat" debate. Collectors don't need to be talked down to in this manner. Is it so naive to think that topps would actually put a bat in a product instead of trying to pass off a seat as a game used relic (ok...well obviously it is naive).

And I invite you to watch the DEEE box busters and see for yourself how condescending the guys are when talking about the AP incident.

I don't get why i'm being called childish by somebody who spends all their spare time pimping a brand of cards 25% of the hobby has never even heard of and 5% care about.

Plus...why are you so offended? Its not like I called you a name. What would your reaction have been had I let a bad comment about SK? Oh NO!

Agreed, I found that comment very condescending myself. What about all of the wood relics that are pieces of seat/bench that don't have paint on them? Rumor has it, there are quite a few that look like bat, but are not.

STuMP
Check out my photobucket by clicking on my homepage in the drop down list under my username. Looking for any Twins cards I don't have, and Mickey Mantle refractors that I don't have. I will trade for bait, on occasion. 2011 Topps Chrome auto set completed!!
stumpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpfreeman View Post
Agreed, I found that comment very condescending myself. What about all of the wood relics that are pieces of seat/bench that don't have paint on them? Rumor has it, there are quite a few that look like bat, but are not.

STuMP
I like this format Beckett has come up with...

Rumor has it, somebody out there actually sells cards based on their beckett values...

Last edited by bmc398; 01-20-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

RUMOR has it beckett is going to hire actual reporters
RUMOR Has it beckett is going to make a tribute issue about the history of the top loader
RUMOR has it beckett is going to have members post there box breaks there
natbornkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Sounds like we have a country song going on in here.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Rumor has it that a major national card price guide is inflating the values of that company's graded cards.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
Rumor has it that a major national card price guide is inflating the values of that company's graded cards.
Are you talking about PSA here? They are the only ones that offer a graded card price guide, correct?