Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfTheDark View Post
The investment question could have been hard, but they used nice round numbers that made it easy.

The magazine article question wasn't too tough. I'm sure my method isn't the way it is taught to be found, but I got the answer rather easily. Did take more time than the investment question though.

I agree with edhou1, but I'll go deeper and say that's true of most high school kids, not just the athletes. I played 4 sports in high school for the record. Not all jocks are dumb.
Yup. Having gone to Stanford, I can name you many jocks in my classes who scored over 1300 on the old SAT I, which anyway you slice it is/was pretty good...
edhou1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhou1 View Post
Yup. Having gone to Stanford, I can name you many jocks in my classes who scored over 1300 on the old SAT I, which anyway you slice it is/was pretty good...
760 math
680 verbal

MasterOfTheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
760 math
680 verbal

Not bad for a 4 sport athlete...
Old 03-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Having just bashed the intelligence of the average athlete...
(don't read if you have not taken the sample test)

did anyone else answer B for #5? I don't necessarily agree that they are "neither the same or opposite" if you define the term "present" as "offering/giving an item"??

or maybe my mind has already shut down for the afternoon!

Maybe it's a NJ thing but I can understand your logic. I think they viewed present (as in giving something) and reserve (as in holding back) this way.
I think they would want the opposite of presenting to be taking something as opposed to giving something. Reserve as in holding not taking.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #30 (permalink)

So what are the levels on the SAT nowadays? In the old days, 1,200 would get you accepted at most schools and 1,300 would get serious scholarship money.

My understanding is the new SAT score goes to 2,400? So 1,800 or so would be the score to shoot for to get into the college of your choice, and 1,950 or so would land reasonable scholarships? Or am I way off base?
Old 03-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Not bad for a 4 sport athlete...
Wii knot awl b dum

Old 03-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Maybe it's a NJ thing but I can understand your logic. I think they viewed present (as in giving something) and reserve (as in holding back) this way.
I think they would want the opposite of presenting to be taking something as opposed to giving something. Reserve as in holding not taking.
Hmmm... interesting. I don't know what to think. I asked a few of my Wall Street friends and about 40% of them also answered B with some hesitation. I would think 'holding with no intention of giving/offering' is close enough to the opposite of 'presenting" to make this an ambiguous question. If this question was on the SAT for example I would think that it would be thrown out...
Old 03-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Hmmm... interesting. I don't know what to think. I asked a few of my Wall Street friends and about 40% of them also answered B with some hesitation. I would think 'holding with no intention of giving/offering' is close enough to the opposite of 'presenting" to make this an ambiguous question. If this question was on the SAT for example I would think that it would be thrown out...
The opposite of giving is taking, not holding.

The opposite of hot is cold, not room temperature.

Same thing.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
The opposite of giving is taking, not holding.

The opposite of hot is cold, not room temperature.

Same thing.
Let's try this again.
I define 'present' as 'giving'
I define 'reserve' as 'holding with no intention of giving', which to me is precariously close (but admittedly not a perfect opposite) to 'not giving'.

or let's try an alternate set of definitions
'present' as 'offering at a specified price'
'reserve' as 'not offering at a specified price' (like an auction reserve)
To me, that can be reasonably construed as being 'opposite' terms but under certain conditions (such as what was that specific price?)...

Is this a false tautology? To me this is almost a semantics issue, as if you have to define intent and context in order to distinguish between denotation and connotation...

Last edited by edhou1; 03-11-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Let's try this again.
I define 'present' as 'giving'
I define 'reserve' as 'holding with no intention of giving', which to me is precariously close (but admittedly not a perfect opposite) to 'not giving'.

Is this a false tautology? To me this is almost a semantics issue, as if you have to define intent in order to distinguish between denotation and connotation...
Let's try it this way...

If I give you something, then what is the total opposite of that? Not giving you anything? Nope. The opposite would be taking something away from you.

Hence...

The opposite of giving is taking.

Unfortunately I can't agree with your thought that this is close. I'm a math guy, so I see things in numbers mostly. To translate this into numbers, you're saying -1 and 0 are opposites, when it really is -1 and 1 that are opposites.

-1 is giving - You gave something, so you have one less and are at -1.
0 is holding - You did not give nor get anything, so you're at zero.
+1 is taking - You took something, so you now have 1 more which is +1.

It's really not that hard, I'm just not sure which types of examples will make it click for you.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Let's try it this way...

If I give you something, then what is the total opposite of that? Not giving you anything? Nope. The opposite would be taking something away from you.

Hence...

The opposite of giving is taking.

Unfortunately I can't agree with your thought that this is close. I'm a math guy, so I see things in numbers mostly. To translate this into numbers, you're saying -1 and 0 are opposites, when it really is -1 and 1 that are opposites.

-1 is giving - You gave something, so you have one less and are at -1.
0 is holding - You did not give nor get anything, so you're at zero.
+1 is taking - You took something, so you now have 1 more which is +1.

It's really not that hard, I'm just not sure which types of examples will make it click for you.
I appreciate you taking the time to explain the above. My argument is not with the above logical example, but primarily in regards to interpretation and usage of the term "RESERVE". If the issue was simply differentiating between 'hold vs take" I would have no arguments and would agree with you entirely. But judging from other educated people's interpretation of the question, not everyone gets to that premise of 'hold vs take' ! (fair or not!) . After all, on a purely cosmetic level 'not hold' and 'hold' seems like inverses of each other.

Thus there is ambiguity here that I believe is not good to have on a standardized test... Anways, I'm sure people are probably tired of this topic at this point and I'll step away and get some dinner and perhaps revitalize my blood sugar levels...cheers

Last edited by edhou1; 03-11-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
I appreciate you taking the time to explain the above. My argument is not with the above logical example, but primarily in regards to interpretation and usage of the term "RESERVE". If the issue was simply differentiating between 'hold vs take" I would have no arguments and would agree with you entirely. But judging from other educated people's interpretation of the question, not everyone gets to that premise of 'hold vs take' ! (fair or not!) . After all, on a purely cosmetic level 'not hold' and 'hold' seems like inverses of each other.

Thus there is ambiguity here that I believe is not good to have on a standardized test... Anways, I'm sure people are probably tired of this topic at this point and I'll step away and get some dinner and perhaps revitalize my blood sugar levels...cheers
I enjoy good conversation and this one has been a good one.

One other thing to consider is both words they used in the "test" have multiple definitions, so taking just one definition of each and trying to stretch it to fit generally won't bring out the correct answer. Personally, I saw "reserve" as in reserving a room at a hotel, meaning the hotel would "hold" the room. So I saw "give vs. hold" all the way through the example and discussion, which are clearly not opposites.

Glad to see you point out the cosmetic aspect, because my next thing to do was point out that the opposite of "up" isn't "not up", or the opposite of "red" isn't "not red", like the opposite of "give" isn't "not give", hehe.

Enjoy your dinner!
Old 03-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #38 (permalink)

The questions are very similar to IQ tests. Some of them are extremely simple, while others test tactical reasoning skills.

The new SAT has a writing skill section -- similar to the essays on the AP tests -- where an individual is scored on their writing prowess. I think this is something that should have been apart of college criteria; however, as a required component of a standardized test, it makes the traditional essay a lackluster differentiator.
esaslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:40 PM   #39 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Lions2001

Yea this is ridiculous, lol....this a test to play in the NFL or to comp out of 5th grade?

I got the one about Present/Reserve wrong because it "Neither same nor opposite" when i put opposite thinking of, this as example, a restaurant PRESENTS someone with a table, gives...or Reserves, doesnt give, lol. I mean maybe i just over thought it, and with all the possible meanings you can't tell?

Last edited by Lions2001; 03-13-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Lions2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #40 (permalink)

The whole NFL combine is a complete joke and a waste

My Ersan Ilyasova, Luc Mbah a Moute, & Larry Sanders Collection
http://milwbucks.webs.com/
oshmeehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshmeehan View Post
how do you figure?? this gives the scouts a chance to see everyone's speed and stuff they have to offer....it also helps those poor souls who get hurt and cant play the whole year
armyatc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyatc22 View Post
how do you figure?? this gives the scouts a chance to see everyone's speed and stuff they have to offer....it also helps those poor souls who get hurt and cant play the whole year
Show me what you can do on the football field, not what you can do on a set of physical and mental tests.

The wonderlic is the dumbest thing there is. I can score way above the average QB does on it, maybe I have a future as an NFL QB.

Not to mention the scores of guys that probably bust their ass prior to the combine (but don't actually put all the work in during their college career) to get in the best shape possible in order to improve their chances of getting drafted. Its the same thing though for other sports especially basketball. Guy has a good workout for a team and his draft stock soars. More stock is put into how they did in workout without any competition opposed to their complete body of work during their college career

My Ersan Ilyasova, Luc Mbah a Moute, & Larry Sanders Collection
http://milwbucks.webs.com/

Last edited by oshmeehan; 03-13-2010 at 08:50 PM.
oshmeehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:27 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Show me what you can do on the football field, not what you can do on a set of physical and mental tests.

The wonderlic is the dumbest thing there is. I can score way above the average QB does on it, maybe I have a future as an NFL QB.

Not to mention the scores of guys that probably bust their ass prior to the combine (but don't actually put all the work in during their college career) to get in the best shape possible in order to improve their chances of getting drafted. Its the same thing though for other sports especially basketball. Guy has a good workout for a team and his draft stock soars. More stock is put into how they did in workout without any competition opposed to their complete body of work during their college career

This game has 2 sides. MENTAL and PHYSICAL. Being mentally tough sometimes means your too stupid to know when to quit! Physically means you get up ONE MORE TIME! I know 2 players. 1 current and 1 former and they are some the nicest people I have ever met, but they never quit. Either they are to dumb to know when to quit or they just can't! WONDERLIC MY A$$. Boys play games. Men play SPORTS.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:39 PM   #44 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Cornerstore

Well we all know you cant be to bright if you sign a exclusive agreement with press pass.jk jk, not really though.

On a side note - these questions are jokes I got 13/15 just bsing and only because I didn't get the printing size question. I mean how the hell does this even remotely look at QB's intelligence. How about you put them up with a playbook and mention different situations that happen (linebacker staggers in shows blitz) or both corners are 10 feet pack in prevent do you set hot routes or something actually halfway useful. I mean sh&t this is pointless, does it guage intelligence, no. It doesn't, i mean it addresses simple stupid math and maybe a little outside the box thinking and a little bit of the english language. Does it test if the QB can handle pressure? I mean its "weight" is so much on rating qbs which is stupid. It doesn't even show quarterback leadership or personality which I feel are far more important on and off the field.

Second, as for the SAT bs. I got a 1220 (back when it was 1600) still drunk from the night before. 790 math, and a english score that could have been 40 points less if I just signed my name and left early. I didn't care about any of that crap and just getting into a tier 2,3 school away from my house was good enough for me. Granted with sports/leadership roles I was set but still. These tests are pointless in my opinion.

http://yankeesgofor28.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Cornerstore; 03-13-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, no way CJ shoulda shot up to a first round pick after running a 4.25.