Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tim Tebow scored a 22/50 on the Wonderlic Test...how would you do?

Report: Tebow below average on test

Tim Tebow has below-average Wonderlic score, report says - ESPN

While former Florida quarterback Tim Tebow wowed evaluators with his on-field performance at the NFL combine last month, he scored a 22 out of 50 on the Wonderlic test, the Palm Beach Post reported, citing an NFL source.

The 12-minute test measures an individual's learning and problem-solving abilities.

According to the Post, the average Wonderlic score for an NFL quarterback is 24. The newspaper also reported that the quarterback prospects in Mel Kiper Jr.'s latest rankings on ESPN.com -- Sam Bradford of Oklahoma (36), Colt McCoy of Texas (25) and Jimmy Clausen of Notre Dame (23) -- scored higher than Tebow.

To put those scores in perspective, the Post compared Wonderlic numbers of run-of-the-mill NFL quarterbacks such as Alex Smith (40) and Matt Leinart (35) to those of Pro Football Hall of Famers Dan Marino and Jim Kelly (both 15) and an established star such as Donovan McNabb (14) of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Tebow is a Heisman Trophy winner who won two national championships at Florida. According to the newspaper, he graduated with a 3.66 GPA majoring in family, youth and community services.

Grades and Wonderlic scores likely won't determine how his NFL future will unfold. In an attempt to better adapt to the pro game, Tebow is changing the way he holds a football, shifting it from his waist to his shoulder. He intends to show off his refined style on his pro day for scouts at the University of Florida on Wednesday.

"There are things that I can get a lot better at -- my fundamentals," Tebow said in February. "I've never been asked to shorten or quicken my release and not have a loop in it. The changes I'm making have gone very well and it's becoming more and more natural to me."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

THE WONDERLIC TEST

Use in the NFL

Though used in a wide variety of institutions, the Wonderlic test has become best known for its use in the NFL pre-draft assessments of prospective football players.
This assessment roughly corresponds to examples from Paul Zimmerman's The New Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football. According to Zimmerman, examples of average scores for each position are:
Pat McInally, a graduate of Harvard University, is the only football player to record a confirmed perfect score of 50.[2] Ryan Fitzpatrick, also a Harvard graduate and currently a quarterback with the NFL Buffalo Bills, had also been rumored to have scored a perfect 50 points in only nine minutes.[3] However, Fitzpatrick denied this, saying that he had left at least one of the 50 answer spaces blank.[4] The Wall Street Journal later reported that Fitzpatrick's actual score was 48 but that Fitzpatrick's claim of completing the Wonderlic in only nine minutes was accurate (This report appeared in the September 30, 2005 edition of the WSJ in the Weekend Section). As of 2005, Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Kevin Curtis, a graduate of Utah State University, was reported to be tied with Fitzpatrick and Benjamin Watson of the New England Patriots as having scored a 48, the highest Wonderlic score of any active NFL player.[5] During the 2009 Combine NFL Network's Rich Eisen mentioned that Mike Mamula the "Workout Warrior" scored a 49; USA Today has also reported on this claim.[6]

On the other hand, some high profile players have scored rather low on the test. Dan Marino and Vince Young both scored 15 on the test, though Vince Young scored a 6 on his first attempt.[7] Marcus Vick, brother of Michael Vick, scored 11. Michael himself scored an average 20.

SAMPLE WONDERLIC EXAM

1. Look at the row of numbers below. What number should come next? ___________
8 4 2 1 1/2 1/4 ?

2. Assume the first two statements are true.
  • The boy plays baseball.
  • All baseball players wear hats.
  • The boy wears a hat

Is the final one:
True
False
Not Certain

3. Paper sells for 21 cents per pad. What will four pads cost? ___________

4. How many of the five pairs listed below are exact duplicates? ___________
Nieman, K. M.
Neiman, K. M.
Thomas, G. K.
Thomas, C. K.
Hoff, J. P.
Hoff, J. P.
Pino, L. R.
Pina, L. R.
Warner, T. S.
Wanner, T. S.

5. PRESENT/RESERVE, Do these words:
have similar meanings;
have contradictory meaning;
mean neither the same nor opposite?

6. One of the number figures in the following drawing is most different from the others.
What is the number in that figure? ___________

7. A train travels 20 feet in 1/5 second. At this same speed, how many feet will it travel in
three seconds? ___________

8. When rope is selling at $.10 a foot, how many feet can you buy for sixty cents? ___________

9. The ninth month of the year is:
October
January
June
September
May

10. Which number in the following group of numbers represent the smallest amount? _________
7 .8 31 .33 2

11. In printing an article of 48,000 words, a printer decides to use two sizes of type. Using the
larger type, a printed page contains 1,800 words. Using a smaller type, a page contains
2,400 words. The article is allotted 21 full pages in a magazine. How many pages must be
in smaller type? ___________

12. The hours of daylight and darkness in September are nearest equal to the hours of daylight
and darkness in:

June
March
May
November;

13. Three individuals form a partnership and agree to divide the profits equally. X invests
$9,000, Y invests $7,000, Z invests $4,000. If the profits are $4,800, how much less
does x receive compared to having the profits divided in proportion to the amounts
invested by X, Y, and Z?

14. Assume the first two statements are true.
  • Tom greeted Beth.
  • Beth greeted Dawn
  • Tom did not greet Dawn

Is the final one:
True
False
Not Certain

15. A boy is 17 years old and his sister is twice as old. When the boy is 23 what will be the age
of his sister? ___________

Answers can be found here...
Wonderlic Test Answers
blowoutcards2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Not sure what this has to do with playing football but McNabb getting a 14 is hilarious and pathetic. Amazing that someone that stupid makes so much money.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

are you serious? this cant be the sample of the test... and we pay to see these guys play??
Old 03-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

NFL Quarterback Wonderlic scores

Scroll through the list to see how NFL Quarterbacks fared on the Wonderlic Test...unfortunately the list only shows as recent as 2006
blowoutcards2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Well for the 15 posted, I got 12 right, would of had 13 had I done all the math of the profit sharing question.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

I took the test as part of the interview process for the company I work for. Scored a 33. Getting to all 50 questions in 12 minutes is the difficult part.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just did the test and got 11 out of 15 correct. Don't really feel like a genius, however I'm glad my score wasn't too numbskull-ish hehe.
Ramtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

I had to take it for a job interview a few months ago. I know how well I'd do on this test, I got a 26.
IndySportsCards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hmm....got them all right. Are there any harder questions, or is the "challenge" () of this test simply to be able to get 50 right in 12 minutes?
MasterOfTheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Those are just example questions. They give you 50 in 12 mins. They can be any of a multitude of questions.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

I took the Wonderlic as part of an HR class in school. I don't remember the exact score, but it was good enough that my Professor was convinced I had taken it before. The challenge is getting to all 50 questions in 12 minutes. FWIW, I left 2 blank.

If I couldn't see the answer or know how to get the answer immediately upon reading it, I moved on, then came back and finished.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

The time frame's the true measure of the test methinks. If you had all the time in the world of course the test would be easy.
messingaroundok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

So it is the time then. Interesting.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfTheDark View Post
So it is the time then. Interesting.
It's a combination, how many did you answer, how many did you get correct, and how you combed your hair. I think that 3rd part is why Tebow did so poorly.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
GA0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Not sure what this has to do with playing football but McNabb getting a 14 is hilarious and pathetic. Amazing that someone that stupid makes so much money.
It's a 50 question test taken in 12 minutes, failing doesn't make him stupid. PLayers have something more to worry about when they're at the combine
GA0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Dan Marino and Jim Kelly both scored 15's, Tebow will be just fine
Old 03-11-2010, 05:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

AAAAAHHHHH I got 14!

I missed by 1 on the page/font size count!!!!
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

For those of you that have taken a real version of this test, are you allowed a calculator or scratch paper?

I was able to get 14 out of 15 but trying to do this without a calculator, I spent WAY too much time on the investment question doing the math in my head and finally gave up on the number of pages / font size question without a calculator. So I could definately see where a guy could get hung up on a couple questions and not get through everything in time. But if you're able to use a calculator for some of the more complex problems, and these represent an accurate difficulty level of the average test, I don't see how any HS graduate with either some college experience (or even a degree) could miss more than half of these even with the time factor.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post
For those of you that have taken a real version of this test, are you allowed a calculator or scratch paper?
You get some paper and a pencil. That's it. Clothing is optional though. I took mine naked.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:

I was able to get 14 out of 15 but trying to do this without a calculator, I spent WAY too much time on the investment question doing the math in my head and finally gave up on the number of pages / font size question without a calculator. So I could definately see where a guy could get hung up on a couple questions and not get through everything in time. But if you're able to use a calculator for some of the more complex problems, and these represent an accurate difficulty level of the average test, I don't see how any HS graduate with either some college experience (or even a degree) could miss more than half of these even with the time factor.
I think you're overestimating the actual intelligence and/or learning taking place by HS athletes.
Seriously.
edhou1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
You get some paper and a pencil. That's it. Clothing is optional though. I took mine naked.
TMI dude TMI.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to deboesports

i just took it and i got 10/15 right missing #'s 5, 11, 12, 13, 14
Old 03-11-2010, 06:05 PM   #23 (permalink)

Having just bashed the intelligence of the average athlete...
(don't read if you have not taken the sample test)

did anyone else answer B for #5? I don't necessarily agree that they are "neither the same or opposite" if you define the term "present" as "offering/giving an item"??

or maybe my mind has already shut down for the afternoon!
edhou1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA0 View Post
It's a 50 question test taken in 12 minutes, failing doesn't make him stupid. PLayers have something more to worry about when they're at the combine
No it doesn't, if McNabb wasn't trying and just blew it off but it does say something about the person and their make-up. If he actually did try then yeah he is pretty stupid to only get 14 right on a test like that. Of those 15 questions listed, most should have taken longer to read than to answer so it's not like they're throwing advanced physics questions at them in that time period. Anyone with a competitive bone in their body and some personal pride would still want to do as well as they could on anything give to them as a test or challenge. I'm as competitive as anyone and I started answering them the second I got to that part in the thread. As I said, the test has nothing to do with football ability and means nothing as to how they'll play on Sunday, its not given for that reason.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:

The investment question could have been hard, but they used nice round numbers that made it easy.

The magazine article question wasn't too tough. I'm sure my method isn't the way it is taught to be found, but I got the answer rather easily. Did take more time than the investment question though.

I agree with edhou1, but I'll go deeper and say that's true of most high school kids, not just the athletes. I played 4 sports in high school for the record. Not all jocks are dumb.