Blowout Cards Forums
Sean Bassik

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 06:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default The Hobby Rumor Mill … March 17, 2010

The Hobby Rumor Mill … March 17, 2010
March 17, 2010, 4:53 pm

Here’s a little something that should get the card collectors abuzz … a little something we’ll throw out there from time to time called The Hobby Rumor Mill.

Are all of the items legit? Maybe not, but even the ones we think are true haven’t yet been confirmed or officially unveiled. In some cases, the companies ain’t talking, either.

Until then, chew on these …

– Rumor has it … that the NHL license has been a done deal and that there may or may not be an exclusive licensee for hockey cards next season. Which company is the leading candidate in the fold? Nobody’s talking on the record, but one thing’s for certain — it’s Wednesday and we’re headed to Pizza Hut for 50-cent wings after work. (We like Italian.)

– Rumor has it … that Topps‘ WWE Slam Attax sales are through the roof in the Dallas Metroplex area vs. the rest of the country because one Beckett Baseball editor still hasn’t completed his base set.

– Rumor has it … that the NFL licensing decision for 2010 is going to be a done deal very, very soon. Could one company be back in the gridiron fold? Could one company hold a triple crown of licenses? Could there be an exclusive? Only time will tell …

– Rumor has it … that Tim Trout has still refused to sign any trading cards for Press Pass’ next NASCAR release. (But they keep begging … pretty soon they’ll give up and add Tracy Hackler’s autographs to their next checklist as an unofficial PBR spokesman/mascot.)

– Rumor has it … that at least one company’s release schedule was complicated by financial matters, not necessarily legal ones.

– Rumor has it … that one notable non-sport line of the last few years will return soon — even though you’ve not heard much of the brand or its spin-offs in nearly a year.

We’ll bring you more from The Hobby Rumor Mill soon.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an e-mail to him at colds@beckett.com.

The Hobby Rumor Mill ? March 17, 2010 The Beckett Blog
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Are you serious? This has to be the most useless blog I have ever seen on this site!

C'mon Blowout your better then this? Do you even read these before you post them?
Old 03-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidelinecards View Post
Are you serious? This has to be the most useless blog I have ever seen on this site!

C'mon Blowout your better then this?
Or atleast I thought you were
Old 03-18-2010, 09:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to bmc398

Panini getting hockey??? Wow, thats the one thing that Upper Deck can actually do right!

IF they are limited to only football there's no way they can keep their doors open.
bmc398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidelinecards View Post

C'mon Blowout your better then this? Do you even read these before you post them?
Yeah, really ... that's all going to be proven to be completely, utterly untrue and the writer is a fool!
chrisolds2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisolds2004 View Post
Yeah, really ... that's all going to be proven to be completely, utterly untrue and the writer is a fool!
Yeah thats what I was thinking! JK CHris...obviously it was you who wrote it.

I agree with one of the other posters tho, some of these are so vague they really do no good...but most are useful points to ponder.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

and what's with chicken wings from Pizza Hut being called Italian...
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

For the love of all things please don't let Panini ever get the NHL exclusive!!!

What exactly was the "shtick" of Studio Basketball anyway? It looked like all of their other crap.

Upper Deck does a great job with hockey, but at this point they don't really deserve anything but I'd hate for them to lose hockey. I would love to see a Chrome Hockey.
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would love to see a chrome hockey, and UD does hockey VERY well.

Panini would just put out that same old garbage for hockey that they do for everything else.

anusinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Topps gave up their liscense with the NHL years ago so I doubt the NHL will give them first shot now that hockey is hot these days.

Not tough to throw Panini out there as getting a hockey license if you've been paying attention

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Topps gave up their liscense with the NHL years ago so I doubt the NHL will give them first shot now that hockey is hot these days.

Not tough to throw Panini out there as getting a hockey license if you've been paying attention
Topps and ITG both had their licenses taken away when UD got the exclusive. ITG fought the exclusive and Topps did not since there was a strike. I would hope the ITG get's a license again.

Buying Brandon Hughes (OSU/Chargers) Auto's and low numbered cards.
cardsrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Panini's international presence would definitely be a positive for them as far as hockey.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc398 View Post
Yeah thats what I was thinking! JK CHris...obviously it was you who wrote it.

I agree with one of the other posters tho, some of these are so vague they really do no good...but most are useful points to ponder.
I also agree..these "rumors" are just flat out dumb...anything can be a rumor though:

The Army Rumor Blog March 19th 2010

---March 30th 2010 Upper Deck Proves everyone wrong and releases 2009 Exq Football with a nasty Logo patch true rookie auto of Mark Sanchez or Stafford in every box!!!

---Other card sites are weighing boxes before they ship them to keep the big hits for themselves.

---The Hobby Rumor Mill is written by a 40 year old virgin

---Kevin Durant signs a deal with a major card company for more then he makes playing Basketball

Some might be true and some might be false..who knows?????
armyatc22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyatc22 View Post
I also agree..these "rumors" are just flat out dumb...anything can be a rumor though:

---March 30th 2010 Upper Deck Proves everyone wrong and releases 2009 Exq Football with a nasty Logo patch true rookie auto of Mark Sanchez or Stafford in every box!!!

---Other card sites are weighing boxes before they ship them to keep the big hits for themselves.

---Kevin Durant signs a deal with a major card company for more then he makes playing Basketball

LMAO!!!!
Army, you hit the nail on the head.
Joe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyatc22 View Post

Just plain awesome.... Wish there was a way to thank you or give you a plus one. Love the Beckett arrogance....its like they are saying "We are the only card site. All card thought must come through us"
Old 03-19-2010, 06:30 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc398 View Post
Just plain awesome.... Wish there was a way to thank you or give you a plus one. Love the Beckett arrogance....its like they are saying "We are the only card site. All card thought must come through us"
thanks I was thinking about opening up a blog like The Onion (not real news but super funny) still rumors are rumors and not true till it happenes
armyatc22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsrus1 View Post
Topps and ITG both had their licenses taken away when UD got the exclusive. ITG fought the exclusive and Topps did not since there was a strike. I would hope the ITG get's a license again.
Would be tough to put out a good hockey product without autographs of Crosby, Gretzky, Malkin, Ovechkin, Howe, Orr, Messier, and Yzerman.
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
Would be tough to put out a good hockey product without autographs of Crosby, Gretzky, Malkin, Ovechkin, Howe, Orr, Messier, and Yzerman.
Hasnt stopped Panini for putting out a bunch of junk in football and basketball.

Just make a $400/box product and fill it with single color jerseys of rhett bohmar or Ryan Vesce

anusinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:32 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Topps never tried to compete with Upper Deck on that plane though, they just made better cards IMO.

Upper Deck has done a great job in hockey, I hope they keep their license, and maybe even the exclusive.

Panini bought Donruss, Donruss bought the Pacific brands, some of the crazy stuff like Pacific Aurora and Pacific Calder (best product of the year for 2002-03 and 2003-04) could be back.

Topps could bring back Pristine hockey (bring back Pristine in all sports Topps!) and those crazy gold line, blue line, and red line parallels.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
I must have missed a lot of the exclusives over the last 5 years, I thought they only had Ovechkin, Gretzky, Crosby, and Howe. The Yzerman deal is only for this season. And the Crosby and Ovechkin deals are for an unknown time. I have never seen anything about Orr, Messier, or Malkin being exclusive. If they file for bankruptcy I believe that would void all of their exclusives.

Buying Brandon Hughes (OSU/Chargers) Auto's and low numbered cards.
cardsrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsrus1 View Post
Not true. Topps told the NHL they would not be renewing due to a stagnant market. To say the NHL took their license away is false as Topps had no interest in renewing anyway.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #22 (permalink)

Gee, whatddya know ... the fool got the 1st one right.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:47 PM   #23 (permalink)

Take it easy on these guys. While you were smart to cover you rear by saying those were "rumors", I personally felt it was more like truths you werent able to lay out all the details on. I wish you wouldnt mind telling us the non-sports company you were mentioning.. Could it be Inkworks?? I didnt really mind the post because it was quite easy to fill in the blanks. I just dont think anyone wanted to believe what you were writing. Its amazing though the same people probably go to mlbtraderumors.com and love it lol.
cruiserdaddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:57 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdaddy7 View Post
Take it easy on these guys. While you were smart to cover you rear by saying those were "rumors", I personally felt it was more like truths you werent able to lay out all the details on. I wish you wouldnt mind telling us the non-sports company you were mentioning.. Could it be Inkworks?? I didnt really mind the post because it was quite easy to fill in the blanks. I just dont think anyone wanted to believe what you were writing. Its amazing though the same people probably go to mlbtraderumors.com and love it lol.
You could be on to something there... and you could be really off-base there, too.

Beckett doesn't write about hobby "rumors" -- with exception of items in The Hobby Rumor Mill.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:48 PM   #25 (permalink)

BOUND TO get 1 out of 100 right
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisolds2004 View Post
Gee, whatddya know ... the fool got the 1st one right.