Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Breaking News: Panini to Join Upper Deck in the Hockey Card Market

Breaking News: Panini to Join Upper Deck in the Hockey Card Market Beginning Next Season

According to multiple sources close to the situation, the National Hockey League and NHL PA are expected to announce today that Panini America will join Upper Deck as licensed trading card manufacturers for the 2010-11 season and possibly beyond.

The move has been rumored for months and is another in a long line of licensing decisions that has dramatically reshaped the sports trading card industry in the last 14 months.

Panini taking the trading card ice shouldn’t come as a huge surprise, seeing as how the Italian-based company has been producing licensed NHL stickers and sticker albums for years.

It’s interesting to note that the Panini America brand portfolio includes popular, hockey-related brand names from the defunct Pacific Trading Cards as well as its own Score and Donruss lines.

Stay tuned to Beckett.com for additional updates to this story.

– Tracy Hackler

Breaking News: Panini to Join Upper Deck in the Hockey Card Market Beginning Next Season The Beckett Blog
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Cubfan86

Wow. That is pretty big news. I think this could be great because of all the UD haters are forced to buy UD Hockey if they are a fan.
Can't wait to see the first product.
Cubfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thats good....wish they would do baseball to.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nice! Will it the first NHL series for PANINI? If so, the product will be VERY popular.
FT base/inserts/hits: NBA: 09/10, 10/11 Timeless Treasures, 13/14 Titanium / Other Sport: UFC: 10, 12 KO, 11, 12 Finest, 10 WWE Platinum / NHL: 10-11 Contenders / NFL: 10 Magic / Non-Sport: Iron Man 1, 2, 3, Indiana Jones KOTCS, Marvel 70th Ann., Star Wars Jedi Legacy, Thor, Marvel Universe 2014
S.U.I.Z.I.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wish ITG would have been granted a license.

Not sure what to think on this yet. Hopefully, both UD and Panini have a limit on the # of releases they can put out. I would hate to have the hockey market watered down like football is.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to TheNME

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidelinecards View Post
Thats good....wish they would do baseball to.
So in agreement that it's not even funny...
I collect Ryno, Fergie, Aramis, Vlad, Ichiro, Frank Robinson, Frank Thomas, Nomah, Ticha Penicheiro, Devin Hester, Walter Payton, Gale Sayers, Sarita, Booker T, Eve Torres, Brooke Morales, and Raven (Teen Titans) sketch cards.
TheNME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

sweet! I love Panini, except when they hosed me on my 3 boxes of Showcase hits (shorted 1 each).
IndySportsCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

I personally dont see why everyone is so excited. Panini is watering down the basketball market with terrible releases and has more on the way. They will probably do the same with hockey. Also, they dont have exclusives with MANY of the top athletes, so who really cares about what they are going to product. Looking at it, I can only see this hurting the hockey market. UD has been very good about producing hockey and keeping the market solid in my opinion.
cruiserdaddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

It is going to hurt the hockey market and also like you said, they have no exclusives with anyone. They will not be able to use any autograph or memorabilia of Crosby, Gretzky, Yzerman, Malkin, Ovechkin, Orr, Howe or Messier. So unless, UD goes under, which is possible, I wouldn't touch Panini Hockey products one bit.
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
It is going to hurt the hockey market and also like you said, they have no exclusives with anyone. They will not be able to use any autograph or memorabilia of Crosby, Gretzky, Yzerman, Malkin, Ovechkin, Orr, Howe or Messier. So unless, UD goes under, which is possible, I wouldn't touch Panini Hockey products one bit.
Can they use memorabilia though? I know for example with basketball this year they've had Lebron jersey/patch cards even though he's a UD exclusive.

It seems that autos of the top guy are more in UD's high-end products, and I don't know if Panini really intends to compete with them in that area. They seem to like sticking to their $60-100 boxes for the most part.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

If the NHL limits the amount of possible releases, this could be real good. If not, expect the hockey market to get flooded and worthless.

anusinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Why didn't ITG and Topps get a license? This ranks up there with the decision to be on Versus as opposed to ESPN.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
Why didn't ITG and Topps get a license?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ it's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
FT base/inserts/hits: NBA: 09/10, 10/11 Timeless Treasures, 13/14 Titanium / Other Sport: UFC: 10, 12 KO, 11, 12 Finest, 10 WWE Platinum / NHL: 10-11 Contenders / NFL: 10 Magic / Non-Sport: Iron Man 1, 2, 3, Indiana Jones KOTCS, Marvel 70th Ann., Star Wars Jedi Legacy, Thor, Marvel Universe 2014
S.U.I.Z.I.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

Great, so the market well be flooded with "Event Worn" patch cards...sure they'll look great but like everything Panini they'll be devalued.
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Can they use memorabilia though? I know for example with basketball this year they've had Lebron jersey/patch cards even though he's a UD exclusive.

It seems that autos of the top guy are more in UD's high-end products, and I don't know if Panini really intends to compete with them in that area. They seem to like sticking to their $60-100 boxes for the most part.
I know for a fact that once ITG ran out of Crosby memorabilia, they were not able to obtain more. I don't think they can get any mor Ovechkin stuff either, I'm not 100% sure.

The fact is, if Upper Deck has first dibs on all the memorabilia to their exclusive guys, why would they pass on any and let Panini or ITG get any? I sure as heck wouldn't.
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:18 PM   #16 (permalink)

People crack me up. When it was just UD people bitched about how they had no competition and didn't have reason to load products. Told you people a long time ago that Topps would not get the next license and figured Panini and their long time association with the NHL (sticker sets) would get it. Next is a Baseball license and I bet that will come after Topps' shot is up because they'll F it all up with crap releases like Finest.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:30 PM   #17 (permalink)

BTW - if UD loses all their licenses they won't be able to pay the Gretz, Sid , LeBron and MJs of the world when they're bankrupt so relax and wait it out. If you can't produce cards or at least cards that sell, you won't be able to afford to keep up with the payments on million dollar exclusives.
Funny how all the "UD boned me with this case" and "UD screwed me on that box" posts and threads have now turned into a bitch session about how much you'll miss UD. Now you can all bitch about Panini before they even make one hockey card. Nice ! Careful what you wish for eh boys

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:31 AM   #18 (permalink)

1. itg might not have gotten a licence because of all the products they put out since not having one
2 with panini in the mix we might be seeing more stickers autos from upper deck because it will be more of a hassle for the players signing for 2 companies
3 ud over the last couple years had made a effort for more hard signed, panini is guilty of over stickering see football
4 topps when they did have a licensed sucked at hockey , they put no effort in the cards like they do now (stickers stickers stickers,refractor refractor refractor)
natbornkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:51 AM   #19 (permalink)

well i hope they do a good job. but i dont like what i see from there basketball stuff.
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote