Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 05:45 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post
so basically you're justifying Panini's bad behavior by pointing to the bad behavior of Topps/UD???

i don't understand Panini fanboys.

I'm no ones fanboy but to essentially kill them for what is an industry standard points to your lack of understanding that these companies care more about their distributors than they do the consumer. They will say it to your face and not even bat an eyelash.

the secondary market isnt their concern.
phillyfan0417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #27 (permalink)

All the card companies have Industry Summit giveaways, not just Panini. I've seen Industry Summit boxes for Panini, Upper Deck, Benchwarmers, etc. Have seen Topps cards from it that I'd assume were packed out the same way. It's not just Panini that does this
tperks76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:38 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan0417 View Post
...to essentially kill them for what is an industry standard points to your lack of understanding that these companies care more about their distributors than they do the consumer...the secondary market isnt their concern.
trust me, i have no doubt they only care about distributors and shops and have zero regard for the consumer. i just don't believe that it's ok just because it's the industry standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tperks76 View Post
All the card companies have Industry Summit giveaways, not just Panini. I've seen Industry Summit boxes for Panini, Upper Deck, Benchwarmers, etc. Have seen Topps cards from it that I'd assume were packed out the same way. It's not just Panini that does this
the difference is that Panini post it here, via BO, to rub it in the consumers face. maybe Topps and UD did do but i missed it.

it's one thing to do it, but it takes a special kind of arrogance to rub our noses in it.

i think this is why so many are happy that Panini lost their NHL license and are hoping that they lose the NFL license next. their arrogance is offensive.
ejs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:21 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post
trust me, i have no doubt they only care about distributors and shops and have zero regard for the consumer. i just don't believe that it's ok just because it's the industry standard.

the difference is that Panini post it here, via BO, to rub it in the consumers face. maybe Topps and UD did do but i missed it.

it's one thing to do it, but it takes a special kind of arrogance to rub our noses in it.

i think this is why so many are happy that Panini lost their NHL license and are hoping that they lose the NFL license next. their arrogance is offensive.
Between here and/or other forums, their own website/blogs, and Beckett news, I think every card maker's Industry Summitt stuff was public knowledge.
byronscott4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #30 (permalink)

Topps usually makes special parallels or exclusive cards just for the Summit, like Panini did this year with the Select Football Green Prizms. Things like that are a nice touch.

To hold back product that should have been packed out just stinks to me, and stamping it 1/1 to give some "added value" doesn't sit well. Odds are that Ewing/Hibbert/Monroe doesn't get a ton more than the base version of it would have if it were pack pulled, but the stuff from Kyrie, Crosby, etc. definitely will.

I get that it's about building relationships with the distributors, but the real elephant in the room isn't being addressed...

Ask any Topps, Panini, or UD sales rep you can find... The hobby stores and secondary market are completely on the backburner for these companies. Yes, products like Flawless, Immaculate, Ultimate Collection, Museum Collection, 5-Star, and Cup are all for the whales of the industry, but the majority of the money that these companies make is selling to stores like Wal-Mart and Target.

The guy at Wal-Mart who does all the buying for them has billion dollar power backing him. What the heck does Topps care about a distributor spending $500K-$1M over the course of a year when he buys 10x that much of 2014 Topps Baseball alone?
My Bucket: http://s425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/jrlebert/
jrlebert is offline   Reply With Quote