Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 05:14 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousD82 View Post
I thought Leaf was banned from the Summit?
my first thought as well.

maybe he's doing some gorilla marketing.
ejs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:15 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Jadeveon Clowney, in Sportkings?

Guess I don't need to keep collecting the base set anymore. Or even think about buying any SK at all.

Cobb, Ruth, Thorpe.... Clowney. one of these things is not like the other.
ejs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #28 (permalink)

Leaf was allowed back in--he made some statement which probably was a condition of allowing Brian Gray back in.
byronscott4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #29 (permalink)

Or maybe the possibility of a lawsuit was thrown around, and the Summit decided it was dumb to keep out hobby manufacturers.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #30 (permalink)

does all this mean that Dr. Price is going to focus on hockey and possibly more baseball now as well as HOW and some of the other smaller spin offs? I ask because now FF and SK have gone to Leaf in a short amount of time.

I'm sure as a smaller company you have limits on how much you are taking in and how much you are dishing out in order to get the product the way it should be and to keep releases on time for release.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #31 (permalink)

Despite their lack of licensing, I actually really like Leaf products, but I fear the worst for Sportkings. I feel like Dr. Price had done a good job of building up brand equity to make an intriguing product for set builders and hit seekers to collect. From what I know of Leaf, they have the slightly different aim of building value in a product through packing in autograph cards, which would ruin the equity that Dr. Price had spent years building with Sportkings. I truly hope that Leaf does not mishandle one of the more unique unlicensed brands on the market.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #32 (permalink)

big news!

We can only hope for the best now.

Now Collecting: Ken Griffey Jr. & Kevin Garnett
guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
It sure was!

I will admit that I'm sad to see it change hands. But at least the brand continues to exist. Hopefully that will be more positive than negative.

Phelps and Ichiro are deserving of the Sport Kings title. As long as these types of players dominate the product, it should do well and stand the test of time. Standing the test of time was always a main reason why I collected a product that housed the worlds greatest sports figures.
Agree, but didn't Dr. Price try some future SKs that didn't quite pan out? Reggie Bush, Justin Morneau, Jason Bay, Feddy Adu to name a few. I agree they should stick with the true Kings, typically HOFers
Old 03-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakman View Post
Agree, but didn't Dr. Price try some future SKs that didn't quite pan out? Reggie Bush, Justin Morneau, Jason Bay, Feddy Adu to name a few. I agree they should stick with the true Kings, typically HOFers
To be fair. Freddy Adu seemed like a sure thing at the time.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiggumPI View Post
To be fair. Freddy Adu seemed like a sure thing at the time.
That's exactly why rookies shouldn't be in Sportkings.
sthoemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakman View Post
No doubt HOFers or locks. For instance Derek Jeter is a lock. Tom Brady a lock. Not saying these guys could be gotten but if its a current player they need to be a king.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:49 PM   #37 (permalink)

I think leaf has a decent shot at making good on SK
Old 03-23-2014, 03:17 AM   #38 (permalink)

Great news, leaf has been making some decent stuff. As for dr Price it looks like his product and company is almost done. Karma if you ask me for the backdooring and controversy surrounding north of 7.
gr8azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:28 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8azn View Post
Great news, leaf has been making some decent stuff. As for dr Price it looks like his product and company is almost done. Karma if you ask me for the backdooring and controversy surrounding north of 7.
Please do tell. I was not aware of any controversy surrounding Dr Price. Brian Gray on the other hand....
Old 03-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #40 (permalink)

north of 7 listed a massive of auto and relic cards from early SK series, while very few of the base cards, in comparison, were showing up for sale.

I assume ITG had sold them the cards as a huge bulk lot.

The only thing I see that could be considered as unethical is that it made boxes and base singles artifically scarce for a product that was already limited and pricey.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #41 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
north of 7 listed a massive of auto and relic cards from early SK series, while very few of the base cards, in comparison, were showing up for sale.

I assume ITG had sold them the cards as a huge bulk lot.

The only thing I see that could be considered as unethical is that it made boxes and base singles artifically scarce for a product that was already limited and pricey.
Without any knowledge of the terms and conditions of the sales agreement, I would assume any "overstock" materials (cards in inventory for purposes of damage replacement, cards for convention stamping, etc.) would have been part of the bargaining process. If ITG asked Leaf if they wanted the backstock and they said "no thanks" with a contractual agreement that ITG themselves could not place the product into future releases, what should the company then do?

A) Burn all inventory
B) Find a suitable outlet/buyer to sell off excess inventory
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:17 PM   #42 (permalink)

It wasn't just "overstock" inventory.

The seller had practically the entire production run of both auto and relic cards. It was a massive amount, not just a few cards SK company might have saved for customer service.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #43 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
It wasn't just "overstock" inventory.

The seller had practically the entire production run of both auto and relic cards. It was a massive amount, not just a few cards SK company might have saved for customer service.
Before the next round of auctions end in the next couple hours "sportkings" under No7 has 197 current listings and 572 completed listings (including auctions from E & F). Lots of them are convention stamped

That would fit into an 800 ct box or shoebox with toploaders. I'm surprised there weren't tons more actually.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #44 (permalink)

I was refering to past auctions, not current auctions. They still have good quantities of SK, but nothing compared to what they sold in previous years, primarily Series B. I'm sure they sold most or all of the entire run of Randy Couture #/10 gold auto's.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #45 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I was refering to past auctions, not current auctions. They still have good quantities of SK, but nothing compared to what they sold in previous years, primarily Series B. I'm sure they sold most or all of the entire run of Randy Couture #/10 gold auto's.
So the large bulk sale was years ago in your theory? It sounded like they had just unloaded these in your first comment.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #46 (permalink)

Yes, years ago. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

BTW, north of 7 is a good dealer, and I've bought from them in the past.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:21 PM   #47 (permalink)

I too would like to hear more about this backdooring theory supposedly surrounding NorthOf7 and ITG. I have heard nothing about this.

NO7 has always had hundreds of SK auctions running going all the way back to 2007 when the first release came out. He is a distributor in Canada and breaks a lot of ITG stuff. His customer base is huge. To me, it makes a ton of sense that he would bust a ton of product to fill his customers' needs.

As far as SK B is concerned, that product has been sold in master case form for years. Blowout has/had a bunch of it and generally runs specials where BO members generally pull nice hits, many of which landed in my collection. Those that bust the most generally end up with a higher percentage of nicer hits. NO7 may have busted more than anyone else, but I have purchased many, many nice cards from all kinds of random box and case breakers. I keep track of all this.

Regarding the base cards...early on, there were many buyers for them. Complete sets, (which were much rarer back then than they are now), were put together and mainly sold off-line. Only approximately 375 complete sets of Series B exists. NO7 having very few, if any, base cards for sale while selling all kinds of hits throws up no red flags to me. I know of many off-line complete set sales.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:44 PM   #48 (permalink)

I agree, north of 7 could have bought a massive amount of the boxes and broke them down. I think that could be very likely.

I wasn't suggesting cards were "backdoored" or that they did anything wrong.

It just seemed strange they had constant listings of the auto and relic cards, while the base and mini card were extremely tough to come by at the time.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree, north of 7 could have bought a massive amount of the boxes and broke them down. I think that could be very likely.

I wasn't suggesting cards were "backdoored" or that they did anything wrong.

It just seemed strange they had constant listings of the auto and relic cards, while the base and mini card were extremely tough to come by at the time.
I meant to quote the guy that threw out the back dooring accusation, but forgot, and I can't edit it. It wasn't you.

I understand where you are coming from where there were many hits and few base cards listed. To be honest with you, I was heavily chasing the base cards in order to try to get a complete BGS gem mint set. I never noticed anything out of the ordinary regarding his auctions, and I was looking at them every day for many years.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:58 AM   #50 (permalink)

For those that were opening series E at the Baltimore national it is very likely that you witnessed NO7 breaking case after case after case after... I can honestly say I have never seen sooo many cases opened by one group, I assumed it was a father and son. They literally spent days at the ITG/Sportkings booth opening cases. I also keep an eye on their ebay listings and I do not recall them ever listing common cards, they obviously have another outlet for them or they are hoarding them.

Buying 2002-03 BAP Signature Series Short Print autos I need.
cardsrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote