Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   News & Announcements (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/news-announcements/)
-   -   MLB Players Union warns players to stay away from UD (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/news-announcements/68563-mlb-players-union-warns-players-stay-away-ud.html)

blowoutcards 04-19-2010 09:15 AM

MLB Players Union warns players to stay away from UD

MLB Players Union warns players to stay away from UD
April 19, 2010

Major League Baseball’s players union told agents in an e-mail message on Friday that the trading card company Upper Deck was experiencing financial difficulty and had not paid a large number of players money it owed them.

The union said it was working with Upper Deck to ensure that the players would be paid. The union strongly advised players not to return to Upper Deck any autographs they had signed for the company or to enter into any new agreements with the company until the payments were made.

The e-mail message was from Evan Kaplan, the union’s director for trading cards and collectibles, and was sent to all player agents. A person who received the e-mail provided a copy of it to The New York Times on the condition that the person not be identified.

A spokesman for the union declined to comment. A spokesman for Upper Deck did not respond to an e-mail message.

About a month ago, Upper Deck settled a lawsuit by agreeing to pay Major League Baseball Properties a “substantial” but undisclosed amount for issuing three sets of cards since last year without a license. It also agreed to pay baseball $2.4 million to settle previous debts.

In the lawsuit filed in January, M.L.B. Properties accused Upper Deck of trademark infringement and asked that it be restrained from using teams’ uniforms, helmets and cap logos.

Last summer, baseball chose Topps as its exclusive licensee, leaving Upper Deck without a license for the first time since 1989.

[url=http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.com//article/?p_ArticleId=6557]Sports Collectors Digest -[/url]

mwheeler27 04-19-2010 09:57 AM

I don't mind constant bad publicity for ud, but why do the exact same stories keep getting posted in new threads?

People used to get upset with me for constantly speaking the [B][I]TRUTH[/I][/B] about upper deck's unethical business practices that was going to be the end of them, yet it's now okay to post the same stories over and over again. :confused:

Again, I don't mind, but where are all those haters that used to get upset with me? :rolleyes: Do they now understand the truth when they didn't a few months ago?

jebjeb1 04-19-2010 09:58 AM

I would give collectors the same advice as well!!!!!

mwheeler27 04-19-2010 09:59 AM

[QUOTE=jebjeb1;543634]I would give collectors the same advice as well!!!!![/QUOTE]

I wonder if they'll listen to you. They haven't been listening to others. LOL

stumpfreeman 04-19-2010 10:22 AM

I'm predicting a HUGE sale on Upper Deck products sitting on shelves all over the country. The odds of pulling a soon to be worthless redemption are so high, they'll have to GIVE the stuff away.

hockeyjunkie99 04-19-2010 10:28 AM

[QUOTE=stumpfreeman;543651]I'm predicting a HUGE sale on Upper Deck products sitting on shelves all over the country. The odds of pulling a soon to be worthless redemption are so high, they'll have to GIVE the stuff away.[/QUOTE]

Not if there are a ton of expired redemptions!!!:D

stumpfreeman 04-19-2010 01:14 PM

[QUOTE=hockeyjunkie99;543654]Not if there are a ton of expired redemptions!!!:D[/QUOTE]

????????. That's kind of why I was implying that it would be cheap...

revil41 04-19-2010 03:03 PM

Me to I am a big Upper Deck Hater i have also told everybody to stay away from UD, the fake autos, the i am sorry but even tho we advertised we are making this card we decided to hook you the tell you that it will not be made after you spent money and received the redemption for it so here is a Ryan leaf auto with a ding to compensate you for your quad auto shield that if you received would of have more dings and creases in it then a car in a demolition derby. And my favorite we hand pack every box to ensure you get your monies worth and cards are in great condition. :eek:

revil41 04-19-2010 03:08 PM

[QUOTE=stumpfreeman;543812]????????. That's kind of why I was implying that it would be cheap...[/QUOTE]

i received all mine have not bought the product since not going to, waiting for someone to put all the UD Upper Manglement(play on word not mistyped) on trial

red48 04-19-2010 04:06 PM

I've talked to a few LCS about UD's demise and what they think will happen. They seem to be all in agreement that they give them until after the summer to see what they can come up with. They don't see them going under for at least a few months yet.

stjoesportscard 04-19-2010 04:33 PM

why doesnt upper deck just become a publically traded company on the stock market and go that way. Im sure by many people not in the trading card industry but just knows them by name and people would probably invest money in their company and this would help them to get back on board.

I personally think the management team may be doing shady business practices right now because they are trying to stay afloat. It doesn't make it right, but they are probably trying to save alot of jobs. Yes they are really killing their customer base by their many faults, but they probably do know it. Im sure the board is sitting there thinking, "I know where we went wrong, but we don't have the capitol funds to fix it currently and the only way to stay afloat is by doing shady business practices." Im sure the board don't want to lose their awesome jobs. I mean, wouldn't most of us who love the trading cards, autographs, jerseys, memorabilia, sports venues, player meetings, etc etc love to have that job and think of it as a "Fun, great paying job."

Don't get me wrong, Im not behind Upper Deck and its ways currently. But I think If they had options and financial means to change their ways, I would think the majority would. But I think they caused their own mess as well. I could be wrong but weren't they the first ones to come out and make exclusive contracts with the top athletes. Im sure that venture cost them big time as they overpaid too many athletes and didn't get the return on their investment that they may have thought.

There's many thoughts here and I have way more on this subject as we all do to decide for them. Maybe they will find a way to bust thru and make things work again.

The one thing I hope is that Upper Deck doesn't come out and say that many of their cards and memorabilia or autos are frauds. We can all think what we want. But the card industry in general would be hurt by those words. Other companies would receive the backlash from many if this would be stated.

Redemptions suck from Upper Deck yes. But when Fleer went under as well, and you thought you could be out, wasn't it Upper Deck who honored those redemptions with what they could for at least a short while. They didn't have to do anything, Fleer could of went bankrupt and everyone was out of luck.

Anyways... lets just hope they either can fix things, or others step up. Just my opinion

Highcheese4U 04-20-2010 08:25 PM

Well now....isn't THIS a surprise-surprise!!! lol