Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Topps Celebrates Strasburg’s Debut With Immediate Release of His Rookie Card

Topps Celebrates Strasburg’s Debut With Immediate Release of His Rookie Card

Phenom’s MLB Rookie Card Available Exclusively Online via Million Card Giveaway during his First MLB Game

To celebrate MLB Rookie phenom Stephen Strasburg’s major league debut, The Topps Company, Inc., the exclusive producer of Major League Baseball trading cards, has announced that Strasburg’s first ever MLB rookie card will be made available exclusively online via Million Card Giveaway immediately following his first pitch in the big leagues.

In an effort to capture this special moment in a timely fashion and give sports fans around the world an opportunity to collect this treasured card, during Strasburg’s very first MLB game on June 8, collectors visiting Million Card Giveaway with a code card found in Topps Series 1 or Topps Series 2 baseball will have a chance to unlock this special card. Strasburg’s Topps rookie card will contain the photo of his very first pitch in the Major Leagues and will be issued in very limited quantities.

“Topps has a long history of creating memorable and valuable cards featuring the games great rookie stars, from Mickey Mantle to Nolan Ryan to Cal Ripken, Jr. to Albert Pujols. We expect Stephen Strasburg’s rookie card to follow in similar fashion”, said Warren Friss, Topps GM of Sports & Entertainment. “Our enormously successful online Million Card Giveaway provides us a unique platform to capture and deliver Stephen’s first MLB rookie card in an unprecedented and incredibly timely fashion. Before Stephen even hits the showers, the very first Strasburg rookie card will likely be owned by at least one lucky collector.”

Last year Topps announced an exclusive multi-year deal with Strasburg granting Topps exclusive rights for autographed cards, game-used memorabilia cards and the use of Strasburg’s image on packaging and advertising. Topps will also offer a limited edition line of autographed memorabilia items.

In addition, Strasburg rookie cards will appear in the remainder of Topps 2010 baseball products starting with the release of Topps Allen & Ginter Baseball.

Topps Celebrates Strasburg’s Debut With Immediate Release of His Rookie Card|The Topps Blog
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

Awesome - cue the $10 sale of code cards
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

Crap, kinda wishing I didn't sell mine last week for $2.25 each

Guess I have to go back to the LCS and buy up her remaining stock
Old 06-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post
Awesome - cue the $10 sale of code cards
They should go up, but probably nowhere near that high. There are still so many on eBay BIN for lower prices, and with only a day for people to find out about this promotion, the demand might not be there.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Will this only be during the game? Or can you put in the codes later and still have a chance at the Strasburg?

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii3/goldenbolt23/
tc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

i wonder if any will be autographed?
jubei777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

the kings of the gimmicks strike again
natbornkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Do you think this will affect the price of boxes of A&G since it's coming out in a couple weeks?
jaydub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Before Stephen even hits the showers, the very first Strasburg rookie card will likely be owned by at least one lucky collector.
If the above statement is true, with billions of folks entering their cards after his first pitch, my guess is these are gonna be as tough to land as the 52 Mantle.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

I just threw my 350 of them up on Ebay ending tomorrow night. We'll see if the price goes back up.
Jiggs is offline   Reply With Quote