Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Upper Deck Announces Wrapper Redemption Plans for 31st National

Upper Deck Announces Wrapper Redemption Plans for 31st National

Upper Deck Announces Wrapper Redemption Program for 31st Annual National Convention! Trading card leader reveals event-exclusive wrapper redemption card sets for Baltimore

Carlsbad, CA (June 24, 2010) – Once again, the Upper Deck Company is preparing to entertain the card-collecting masses at the fast-approaching National Sports Collectors Convention at the Baltimore Convention Center. This year’s event, scheduled to take place from Wednesday, August 4, through Sunday, August 8, will mark the 31st running of the nation’s largest sports collectibles and memorabilia show.

“We’re extremely excited to once again have a major presence at the National Sports Collectors Convention,” said Jodi Wasserman, Upper Deck’s Marketing and Events senior manager. “As always, we anticipate there will be thousands of hard-core card collectors in our midst, so we’ve come up with a terrific lineup of National redemption card sets to hand out each day of the show.”

On Wednesday, VIP “Sneak Peek” Day, a special six-card, VIP-emblazoned cello-wrapped set will be available to all show attendees who show their VIP ticket admission to The National. The player lineup for this coveted takeaway includes LeBron James, Michael Jordan and Wayne Gretzky.

During each public day of the show – from Thursday through Sunday – Upper Deck will be conducting its popular foil pack wrapper redemption program starting at 12 noon. Fans who purchase five packs of any current Upper Deck card packs (baseball, basketball, football or hockey products) that carry a suggested retail price of $1.99 or more will receive one of four different 2010 National event-exclusive, five-card sets, while supplies last. Each day there will be a different five-card collection redeemed.

On Thursday, the five-card set will include Michael Jordan and Julius Erving, while Friday’s lineup includes LeBron James and Gordie Howe. Saturday’s set will feature Sidney Crosby, while Sunday’s roster will include such stars as Tiger Woods, Wayne Gretzky and David Robinson. A complete list of all the players available each day will be posted at the Upper Deck booth. Card packs must be opened in front of an Upper Deck representative for redeeming purposes. Note: Autographed cards of the following players will be randomly inserted into some of the packs: Gordie Howe, LeBron James and Michael Jordan.

In addition, Upper Deck has produced an impressive 10-card “Million Pack March for the Troops” set for this year’s National aimed at calling attention to a special initiative the company launched last November. In conjunction with Operation Gratitude – in an effort to send sealed packs of donated Upper Deck cards to deserving U.S. military men and women overseas – the company has been encouraging collectors everywhere to donate some of their surplus card packs to the deserving troops. Upper Deck kicked the campaign off by donating 100,000 packs of cards with the goal being to reach the 1,000,000-pack plateau by Veterans’ Day 2010. And one of the venues where Upper Deck will be hosting a donation drive for Operation Gratitude is this year’s National. The first five “Million Pack March” cards will include Michael Jordan and be available during Wednesday’s VIP “Sneak Peek” Day, while the remaining five cards will be distributed on Friday and include the likes of David Robinson, LeBron James and Mike Modano.

And last but certainly not least, Upper Deck will have on display at its booth a very unique, 30-card insert set of “Entomology” cards showcasing rare bugs and insects that has captivated the attention of collectors and bug aficionados alike. The cards are part of Upper Deck’s 2009 Goodwin Champions product and their unusual presentation has stirred debates and conversations across the country. To find out more about this exceptional lineup of trading cards, click on the following link: YouTube - Upper Deck Entomology Cards - Full Set Preview.
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sweet! I can only assume that Topps (you know, the company with the exclusive MLB, MiLB, and USA licenses) will not be present, as usual.

Why waste the time setting up at the National, and giving away free stuff, when you have the baseball card-collecting world by the short hairs?

I hate you Topps.
gmarutiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarutiak View Post
Sweet! I can only assume that Topps (you know, the company with the exclusive MLB, MiLB, and USA licenses) will not be present, as usual.

Why waste the time setting up at the National, and giving away free stuff, when you have the baseball card-collecting world by the short hairs?

I hate you Topps.
Thank you for giving me a good laugh. Love it

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Instead of organizing some new type of goat rodeo to try and salvage their business, why doesn't UD focus their efforts on fixing their screwed-beyond-belief redemption department. I MIGHT buy some of their product again one day if I knew I wouldn't have to wait eight months and make nine phone calls to get my friggin' cards!
Jacquo1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquo1972 View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Instead of organizing some new type of goat rodeo to try and salvage their business, why doesn't UD focus their efforts on fixing their screwed-beyond-belief redemption department. I MIGHT buy some of their product again one day if I knew I wouldn't have to wait eight months and make nine phone calls to get my friggin' cards!
Exactly. UD should use this opportunity with so many collectors in one place to hold some kind of "town hall" event open to anyone. They won't, but they should.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Exactly. UD should use this opportunity with so many collectors in one place to hold some kind of "town hall" event open to anyone. They won't, but they should.
Awesome idea! They would get a ton of free press, because not only do the card magazines send reporters, but so do Sports Illustrated, etc. It would make them look good, especially if they implemented some of the ideas from collectors. Of course, as you said, they won't.
gmarutiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarutiak View Post
Awesome idea! They would get a ton of free press, because not only do the card magazines send reporters, but so do Sports Illustrated, etc. It would make them look good, especially if they implemented some of the ideas from collectors. Of course, as you said, they won't.
It's a good idea, but it's going to take a lot more than a feedback session with collectors to restore consumer confidence in UD. Remember, UD is a company that North Korea thinks is corrupt and evil.
Jacquo1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Oh, WOW, it's the same EXACT set they've been giving out for the LAST 5 YEARS!

All my money is going into Donruss/Panini, they'll have the righteous redemption program (as they do every year).

Upper Deck sucks.
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JonDailey1982 Send a message via Yahoo to JonDailey1982 Send a message via Skype™ to JonDailey1982

Yeah, the upside I see about this years though is since they have no 'current' products to speak of to sale you at 1.99 SRP or higher, you dont have to worry about getting the same ole crap again.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquo1972 View Post
Awe, you had to wait for a redemption. Boo f-ing hoo, put on a helmet. Do you not get they are at the mercy of the athletes for these things.

Upper Deck is doing a good thing here and another UD hater decides to take pot shots at them.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
Awe, you had to wait for a redemption. Boo f-ing hoo, put on a helmet. Do you not get they are at the mercy of the athletes for these things.

Upper Deck is doing a good thing here and another UD hater decides to take pot shots at them.
KMD, upper deck deserves all they are getting right now. They intentionally tried to cheat every one of us.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

I can name 600,000-700,000 wrong things they did too. Exaclty how many counterfeits did they make in an attempt to cheat CHILDREN with fake Yu Gi Oh cards? Tough to argue that.
cruiserdaddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote