Blowout Cards Forums
Football promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > NON-SPORT BOX Breaks

NON-SPORT BOX Breaks Post your Non-Sports Box & Case Breaks Here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Box/case for good sketches?

What box/case would you buy for good sketches/autos? I am looking to buy 5 cases for the sketches/ autos and I would like a good chance for return on investment. I know you you almost always lose. But my son and I have a blast opening them. Star wars, Indiana jones, Harry potter...oh yea it has to be available from BO so I can order.
Thanks
killerturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to MCAutoGraphs

If still on sale id do Indiana Jones...when they have sales, that's the cheapest 8 box case, seen some very nice sketches come out lately, or Star Wars
Find me on FB under Memorabilia Craze 4 Contests & Specials, Twitter @ Memorabilia_Now
MCAutoGraphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would stay away from Potter releases unless you can get them fiarly quick and send off any redemptions before Artbox stops honoring them at the end of the month. Most Indy sketches have never sold all that well (even the top line artists' cards fetch much less than in other properties) but there are some decent hits at current prices...not to mention the possibility of hitting a Ford auto.
Igman7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

i search the completed ebay listings for "topps sketch" and it looks like a lot of high dollar sketches are coming from star wars boxes ..topps cards hold their value pretty well in my opinion
baytowntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

SOMEONE SOLD THIS CARD SOLD FOR 835.00, I NEVER BOUGHT A BOX OF STAR WARS BUT THIS SURE MAKES ME WANT TO .... I WOULD GO WIT STAR WARS GALAXY 7
Old 06-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks I was not limiting my self to those three. Those were just the only three I could think of. Maybe capt marvel also.
What do you think about the Tarzan release comming in July?
Old 06-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to MCAutoGraphs

If ur gonna do marvel I'd go with Avengers Assemble if you can afford it....I was thinking about Capt. America also, only reason why i mentioned Indy is the price
Find me on FB under Memorabilia Craze 4 Contests & Specials, Twitter @ Memorabilia_Now
MCAutoGraphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Products where sketch cards are the hits the return is all over the place in one case you can get all killer sketches the next case you make 20 percent back total its a very risky part of the business just like any other sport or non sport.

galaxy 7 can be good for return as long as you get a sketchagraph in each case that you open which most of the time is the case. however alot of places are sold out/starting to sell out of it.

Last edited by rip+flip; 06-03-2012 at 08:35 PM.
rip+flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baytowntex View Post
SOMEONE SOLD THIS CARD SOLD FOR 835.00, I NEVER BOUGHT A BOX OF STAR WARS BUT THIS SURE MAKES ME WANT TO .... I WOULD GO WIT STAR WARS GALAXY 7
Fairly certain that was an artist return of Sean's. He does have tons of awesome stuff in packs though.
Ty Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

What do you think about the Tarzan release? Sounds cool.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Hope View Post
Fairly certain that was an artist return of Sean's. He does have tons of awesome stuff in packs though.
It was one of Sean's return cards, but pack inserted hits like Kaite Cook who sells for $750-$800, Sean Pence 4 way Puzzle's sell for $800, and then you got guys like Gary Keezle and Trev Murphy who did great stuff that goes for around $300-$350. I know their was some SP artists who sell for over $500-$600. Basically Star Wars is where its at for Sketch Cards. Can't forget the Sketchagrahphs, I've sold the two out of my cases for $250 and $180 respectively, thats like a third of the case price with just one hit, kinda nice.
http://s421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/Koppper/Sports%20Card%20Collection/
Koppper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerturtle View Post
What do you think about the Tarzan release? Sounds cool.
If I were you and your looking for sketch cards I would preorder 5 cases of mars attacks as soon as possible this release IMO will not only go up in price after release but the sketches I have seen are mostly full color and very nice. Plus who doesn't like sketch cards of aliens and people getting killed etc. ?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Hope View Post
what is an artist return?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

not too sure about the Tarzan set since im not a fan of him. But if you want good returns on your money i would go with the sets that have more fans .. mars attacks would be better than tarzan in my opinion
Old 06-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baytowntex View Post
what is an artist return?

Each card company compensates the artists in two ways...a per card rate (which would amaze you just how cheap these artists work on properties that they love) as well as cards that the artists can sell themselves. Topps has "returns" as the artists have to send in the cards along with their pack released cards and their chosen ones are sent back to them along with their payment. UD, Rittenhouse Archives and others have "Artist Proofs" which are card blanks specificially noted as being proofs. 5finity uses the code "AE" or Artist Exclusive.

These cards provide the artists with the vast majority of their total compensation for working on these miniature canvases.
Igman7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igman7 View Post
Each card company compensates the artists in two ways...a per card rate (which would amaze you just how cheap these artists work on properties that they love) as well as cards that the artists can sell themselves. Topps has "returns" as the artists have to send in the cards along with their pack released cards and their chosen ones are sent back to them along with their payment. UD, Rittenhouse Archives and others have "Artist Proofs" which are card blanks specificially noted as being proofs. 5finity uses the code "AE" or Artist Exclusive.

These cards provide the artists with the vast majority of their total compensation for working on these miniature canvases.
Oh ok i get it now.. thanks
Old 06-04-2012, 12:04 AM   #17 (permalink)

I have heard that artists only get paid 1-3 dollars per sketch card from TOPPS. I don't know about other companies. The majority of their compensation comes from the return cards. I think they are also given a certain number of blank sketch cards as part of their compensation as well which I guess are also considered return cards. Look at Sean Pence for example every return card he does goes for at least 500 dollars so he is making a pretty good living but the problem is that when you do sketch cards like his that are so detailed and realistic it also takes up alot of your life/time so the sketch card career can also kind of consume artists lives. Not to mention some products have very short deadlines so to put in quality work and full color sketches in a short time frame can be hard which is why you see alot of artists "sellout" and do a bunch of pencil sketches for products.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #18 (permalink)

The Indiana Jones cases are ok for the price, but it depends on if you like sketches more than autos. On the Heritage cases, you usually get 4 autos and 4 sketches, but sometimes you only get 2-3 sketches.

As has been mentioned, Star Wars sketches sell pretty well, so for a decent return, either the Clone Wars Rise of the Bounty Hunters or Galaxy 7 are good. As you can tell from my posts, I am a big fan of the ROTBH cases, since they are very cheap and it's easy to break even on an average case. However, there are going to be a lot of pencil sketches, so for nicer sketches Galaxy 7 is better. The problem I have with Galaxy 7 is the price is a lot higher... so higher risk, but higher reward, especially since they have the sketchagraphs, which usually hit 1 per case (you just hope you don't get unlucky and get a case without one).
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip+flip View Post
If I were you and your looking for sketch cards I would preorder 5 cases of mars attacks as soon as possible this release IMO will not only go up in price after release but the sketches I have seen are mostly full color and very nice. Plus who doesn't like sketch cards of aliens and people getting killed etc. ?
I agree here. I have a lot of this coming in, and I'm pretty excited about it.

Tarzan - I'm not even interested in the release.

Marvel Beginnings II is coming out this week. Sketches, Autographs (Stan Lee!), Printing Plates & bad-ass holograms!

Edit: I see you said it has to available from BO... You probably won't get Marvel Beginnings II from them.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

+1 on Mars Attacks. Killer release at $350/case right now

Always looking for vintage graded cards
maculay75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #21 (permalink)

Just ordered 2 Mars cases...
Old 06-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #22 (permalink)

I will probably be making Mars Attacks my first case purchase.

Last edited by jb1981; 06-04-2012 at 05:03 PM.
jb1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #23 (permalink)

I got my cases of mars attacks @ 322 per