Blowout Cards Forums
Baseball Card Singles

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > NON-SPORT BOX Breaks

NON-SPORT BOX Breaks Post your Non-Sports Box & Case Breaks Here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Asylum Studios Blood and Glory break

Got my packs from Asylum Studios (Jim Kyle's company) first product, Blood and Glory, on Monday. Because of the great artist list, I bought a bunch (and in a way it helped that the set was delayed by a couple of months, so I was able to buy 10 packs a month). I was very happy with the sketches I pulled, the artists did a great job and the art looks amazing! My only minor complaint is that the collation of the sketches was pretty poor, and I got a lot of duplicate artists. Hopefully the sketch cards will be mixed up a lot better on the next release.

Dana Black, Puis Calzada, Kris Cagle
Vo Nguyen, Francois Chartier, Chris "Cabbie" Bradberry

Steven Miller, Frank Kadar, Mikey Babinski
Mel Uran, Amber Shelton, Dana Black

Jason Keith Phillips, Amber Shelton, Chris Ozcar Fulton
Amber Shelton, Mikey Babinski, Rudy Vasquez

Mikey Babinski, Frank Kadar, Scott Zambelli
Chris Foreman, Pablo Diaz, Mel Uran

Mel Uran, Jerry Rascoe, Mike Rooth
Vo Nguyen, Jason Roussel, Matt Campbell

Scott Zambelli, Elfie LeBouleux, Amber Shelton
Dana Black, Jason Roussel, Meghan Hetrick

Mick Glebe (my first Glebe!!!)

Great art, but a little too much duplication on the artists I got. I pulled 4 sketches from Amber Shelton, and 3 sketches each from Dana Black, Mel Uran, and Mikey Babinski. So more than 1/3 of my sketches were from only 4 artists… that was quite annoying. I would have liked to have gotten more of the artists, especially since I didn’t hit any sketches from some artists at the top of my wish list (JD Seeber, Gary Kezele, Jim Kyle, Matt Glebe). But overall I was happy with my purchase, the art was outstanding, and I pulled some sketches from a couple of artists who were on my “hope to finally pull a sketch by them” list (Mick Glebe and Amber Shelton).

I’m looking forward to their next set!
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

The art is a lot more impressive as a whole than I thought it would be, and I can see where you are coming from with the amount of duplicate artists. I couldn't afford to get in on this set at the time but wish I could have, really want a Glebe (might make an offer on yours but like I said I'm poor right now lol).
t2554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

That Glebe is sick!

The Babinsky ones are pretty good for black and white.
Sushiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

The artwork is great! There are a few in that I would be happy to own if I was still collecting sketches!
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

I know what you mean about the dupes, but at least they were some pretty good artists to get dupes of.

I'm pretty impressed with the sketches. I really didn't want to deal with a bunch of base sets, so I didn't pick any up, but I may get some single sketches.
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to MCAutoGraphs

Woulda jumped on a few sets but timing was wrong & missed out. Oh we'll, not really a big deal to me on this one. Not gonna buy any singles for myself though, no fun in it. Nice break!!
Find me on FB under Memorabilia Craze 4 Contests & Specials, Twitter @ Memorabilia_Now
MCAutoGraphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Those are some pretty cool sketches! We ordered a pack as well, got a cool Francois Chartier sketch:

ViceroyCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks Aggie,

Yes this was a huge learning experience for us and we appreciate everyone's support. The collation of the sketches will definitely be better next set. Again it was a leasson learned. We are proud of our first outing and know that our upcoming projects will be just as exciting if not more.

Thanks again!
AsylumStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

So by reading a few of the replies I have a question to ask. (Thank you all BTW) Base cards or no base cards? Just curious what the collectors and fans think.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsylumStudios View Post
So by reading a few of the replies I have a question to ask. (Thank you all BTW) Base cards or no base cards? Just curious what the collectors and fans think.
I've seen this discussed before and I'm not sure there is a consensus. I personally only collect hits (sketch/auto/mem.) and don't care for base cards whatsoever, but I know there are people that enjoy making complete sets and putting them in binders.
t2554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks for the comments everyone, and thanks Jim for letting me know you will be working on making the collation on the next set better. Also, I definitely agree that this was a great first set you put out, and I look forward to your future sets. Between Asylum Studios and Viceroy Cards, I have a lot of great sets to look forward to this year!

Quote:
I forgot to include pictures of the base set. Each pack came with a set of 15 cards, plus a bonus card for being in their Facebook group:

The header card also had a checklist on the back, which was helpful to identify the sketch artists.

I know a lot of people like the base sets, especially if they are buying only a pack or two. If you buy a bunch of packs like me, then sometimes you don't know what to do with all of them. Me personally, if by cutting out the base cards you could lower the pack price, I would be fine with no base cards. Or, a good compromise might be to not put the entire set in each pack. Have 3 cards in each pack, so it takes 5 packs to make a set. I know a lot of the artists like the base cards and like being selected for the set, so you probably shouldn't cut the base out completely.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks Aggie,

We'll take all ideas into consideration for future sets
Old 03-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Nice sketches!

I seriously considered ordering, but this really isn't a topic that interests me so I passed. . . I do plan on watching future releases.

As for base cards -- 1 base set per pack is too much, it makes the base sets valueless. A hard to put together base set is much, much more interesting -- say 2 cards per pack and a 10 card set.

That said, if you only have a few cards from a base set in each pack you *have* to collate the packs perfectly. If it is a 10 card set with 2 cards per pack and I order 30 packs I *have* to get 6 sets.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjon View Post
Nice sketches!

As for base cards -- 1 base set per pack is too much, it makes the base sets valueless. A hard to put together base set is much, much more interesting -- say 2 cards per pack and a 10 card set.

That said, if you only have a few cards from a base set in each pack you *have* to collate the packs perfectly. If it is a 10 card set with 2 cards per pack and I order 30 packs I *have* to get 6 sets.
I agree with this very much.

Making a base set, and adding value to it - can be very tricky. I'm a firm believer in not inserting base sets in these premium style packs. You will add value and even bring cost down for yourself.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Nice sketches!

I seriously considered ordering, but this really isn't a topic that interests me so I passed. . . I do plan on watching future releases.

I agree, and a lot of that for me is from starting out with sportscards, where a big draw of opening packs is making sets. Like you, I think around 5 packs to make a set is a good number. Doing a smaller amount of packs like 3 makes it a bit too easy, but making it take 10 packs to make a set is too much.

On the collation of base cards, I would agree, especially for sketch based sets. I see a lot of posts by people who buy exactly the number of packs that would be required to make a set, and they are mad if they get doubles and don't complete the set. So a process like Cult Stuff, where they have the packs labeled A, B, and C, and a set of all three packs makes a complete set seems to work for some people.

Another option is to do like 5finity, with the base cards printed in varying numbers. Having some of them being very limited creates some extra value for those cards, and makes it a challenge to make a set. Lady Death Series 2 was my first purchase from 5finity, and I was very happy with the base cards being distributed that way. On the collation, I think they changed the way they did it between the low number packs (where it seemed to be completely random) and the high number packs (where I think they packed the cards so that you would get a complete set if you opened 3 packs in a row).
Old 03-21-2013, 12:52 AM   #16 (permalink)

Really great input here! We really appreciate the insight. Being we are a new company there are bound to be a few slip ups and mistakes. All we can do is learn from them and take suggestions from the people that allow us to continue doing this. You guys, the fans, collectors, and dealers. Our main focus is to improve with every set we release, and bring you the best possible product we can.

Thanks!

Last edited by AsylumStudios; 03-21-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post

Making a base set, and adding value to it - can be very tricky. I'm a firm believer in not inserting base sets in these premium style packs. You will add value and even bring cost down for yourself.
The first NeverMore Alice set handled this perfectly. . . There were a very low number of complete sets available -- 50 I think, so people actually value and chase the base set.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post

The first NeverMore Alice set handled this perfectly. . . There were a very low number of complete sets available -- 50 I think, so people actually value and chase the base set.

I think part of what makes this a difficult decision for sketch companies is economy of scale. The cost of producing 50 cards versus 350 provides them with very little cost savings, so I think the thinking is that you want to get your money's worth, so you print up the larger amount. For example, if you check out prices on Versicolor Productions (the company that does the Bettie Page set, but also does custom printing), it costs $20 to print 100 cards. It costs only $2 more to print up 200 cards. So I can understand why companies want to print 350 sets of cards and put one in each pack, because they are providing more cards at a very little increase in costs. I'm sure some find it very strange that we are actually asking for them to give us less cards.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #19 (permalink)

My concern with less than a whole set per pack - if there are base cards - is basically what happened with Spellcasters o_O These are, after all, VERY limited runs.

I told Jim last night that my idea would be to let multiple pack people op out of base cards on 2+ with the first being mandatory (just 'cause). If he ends up with too many left over he can always make those available by themselves, eh? After giving the base card artists free sets, of course Even if he ends up with too many to do anything with, his trashcan isn't any different than anyone else's LOL
Old 03-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelton View Post
My concern with less than a whole set per pack - if there are base cards - is basically what happened with Spellcasters o_O These are, after all, VERY limited runs.

I told Jim last night that my idea would be to let multiple pack people op out of base cards on 2+ with the first being mandatory (just 'cause). If he ends up with too many left over he can always make those available by themselves, eh? After giving the base card artists free sets, of course Even if he ends up with too many to do anything with, his trashcan isn't any different than anyone else's LOL
Well, on Spellcasters, the not having a full base set per pack made things worse because people ordered 5 packs instead of just 1 or 2 to get a full set. But the biggest problem with that pre-sale was having too good of an incentive. Too many people wanted to buy multiples of 20 packs to get the free $150+ sketch cards. Btw, I got shut out, so no chance of me pulling one of your cards (or any other) from that set.

And don't worry, my base sets don't go in the trash. They are all in a box, and I send them out as free extras when someone buys multiple sketch cards from me. For this set, I've been thinking about hunting down each of the artists and offering them 10 of their cards in exchange for signing 2 for me. So expect a PM from me soon.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #21 (permalink)

I think we may be going the pack route on future sets. Adding random chase cards and maybe something like 4 Base cards per pack for a 20 base card set. I'll have to look more into cost and what not. Again thanks for the kind words and suggestions
Old 03-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
Well, on Spellcasters, the not having a full base set per pack made things worse because people ordered 5 packs instead of just 1 or 2 to get a full set. But the biggest problem with that pre-sale was having too good of an incentive. Too many people wanted to buy multiples of 20 packs to get the free $150+ sketch cards. Btw, I got shut out, so no chance of me pulling one of your cards (or any other) from that set.

And don't worry, my base sets don't go in the trash. They are all in a box, and I send them out as free extras when someone buys multiple sketch cards from me. For this set, I've been thinking about hunting down each of the artists and offering them 10 of their cards in exchange for signing 2 for me. So expect a PM from me soon.
Thanks for the thought, that would be awesome in general, but I didn't do a base card for Blood and Glory Everyone's loss! *hah* I AM missing my base card from Badaxe's Dungeon Dolls if anyone still has those laying around.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #23 (permalink)

Im still kicking myself for that Amber...
Old 03-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Im still kicking myself for that Amber...
LOL I know... And I swear I'm not putting people up to mentioning me!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #25 (permalink)

wow some sick art!!!!
Collecting Football: GENO SMITH / E.J. MANUEL / Giovani Bernard / Cordarrelle Patterson / Eddie Lacy / Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson Basketball: Michael Carter Williams / Bradley Beal / Blake Griffin / Paul George / Damian Lillard / WNBA: Skylar Diggins
Qwasian is offline   Reply With Quote