Blowout Cards Forums
Labor Day

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > NON-SPORT BOX Breaks

NON-SPORT BOX Breaks Post your Non-Sports Box & Case Breaks Here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 3 Cases of Mars Attacks Invasion

CASE 1 of 3

I have to say, I've really warmed up to this set! The base cards are beautiful!

Of course those looking for the usual stinker sketches wont be disappointed (lol)

The Heritage parallels are also done very well.

Sketches:

Autos/Medallions/Patches:

Extra Gore/Pencil Concept/Graffiti Parallel

Printing Plates (2 stuck together in 1 pack!!!!)

PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Other than one sketch, I thought those were pretty good. Two plates is always nice
Old 10-26-2013, 12:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Other than one sketch, I thought those were pretty good. Two plates is always nice
I agree. I see one weak sketch, and the rest are great. A VERY good break, i'd say all around.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

CASE 2 of 3

Cases are loaded with cool s**t!

Sketches:

Medallions/Patches/Nice Buyback!! (1:1246)/Printing Plate:

Autos/GOLD Extra Gore (1:1113 w/base card for reference):

Extra Gore/Pencil Concept:

Last edited by PitViper; 10-26-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

WOW!

I love looking at the concept parallels and seeing how they differ from the finished cards.

Those patches are so cool. I have to get one of those Novas Vira ones!
Old 10-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Man, traced "1/1" sketches are a bit o a buzzkill At least it's not an aweful sketch

Old 10-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitViper View Post
Man, traced "1/1" sketches are a bit o a buzzkill At least it's not an aweful sketch

Wow--that's incredibly lame

I hope that's an immediate disqualifier for future sets...
Old 10-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Wow--that's incredibly lame

I hope that's an immediate disqualifier for future sets...
There is a requirement in contracts disallowing "repeat subjects" but as i've said, we can't control everything. End of the day, we need good art, and if it means a few repeats instead of scribbles, that's a compromise we have to make.

It's not perfect, and we try to not let this kind of thing happen, but if stuff like this comes in we have no choice, really.

It might not be ideal, but the fact is it's a nice sketch, and that's what's most important.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

The hair and line on her back are different..................yeah pretty bad. At least color one.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
The hair and line on her back are different..................yeah pretty bad. At least color one.
I don't think you should have to play "Spot the Difference" with two "unique" sketches

Alvin: I do understand, but from the other side it would be incredibly disappointing to find out my unique piece of art was basically reused. If sketches aren't really unique, they lose a lot of the appeal IMO. Playing little games by making minor changes may meet the letter of the contract, but that's not really the spirit of the sketch card appeal.

And, to be frank, I blame the artist a lot more for that than Topps. I would just hope this type of thing would be taken into consideration before that artist gets onto another set.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

CASE 3 of 3

Sketches – Love the Jason Chalker sketch (upper left)

Autos/Medallions/Patches – I’m guessing that Willie Garson has lots of free time these days…

Extra Gore/Pencil Concept

Printing Plate – 3 straight cases!

Final thoughts, and this is just my opinion and may not reflect the experiences of others – The sketches are definitely the weak point in this release - Of course I have over 300 Heritage sketches, some of which are top shelf in terms of quality, so I may a tough judge. Not to say that they are awful, but the rest of the set is amazing – the sketches were just mehh. Some nice, too many plain jane images.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Some really nice inserts, and another excellent plate. Agreed on the sketches, quite a few that are very so so. In my opinion companies should really do there best to remove repeat a sketches. Again, in my view, it's unacceptable to get the same basic sketch a few times in a couple of cases.

Obviously over time new talent must be scouted and found, but there were a few artists I would have liked to see that are not here. Am thinking Pence, Kezele, Hardy for example. I wonder if they were approached?

I should add, I do really like two sketches in the last case, the Chalker and also the third along from that.

Last edited by richo; 10-26-2013 at 01:30 PM.
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo View Post
Some really nice inserts, and another excellent plate. Agreed on the sketches, quite a few that are very so so.

Obviously over time new talent must be scouted and found, but there were a few artists I would have liked to see that are not here. Am thinking Pence, Kezele, Hardy for example. I wonder if they were approached?

I should add, I do really like two sketches in the last case, the Chalker and also the third along from that.
Of course they were!

We also found many new artists on this set: Jason Chalker, Jason Crosby, Chris Hamer, Darren Pepe, Mark Finneral, Lyndal Furguson, Matt Frank, Ryan Dening, Phil Rivera, El Gato Gomez, Paul Adam, Patrick Giles, Jeff Miracola, Marck Labas, Robert Jimenez-- many of these guys sketches have yet to surface, but when they do i'm sure you'll notice the higher quality we achieved over last year's set, even considering notable absentees like the names you mentioned.

EDIT: Also know that many of these new names are moving on to SW: ILLUSTRATED...

Last edited by alvin; 10-26-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo View Post
Yeah, the 3rd one is not bad
Old 10-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
I agree. I see one weak sketch, and the rest are great. A VERY good break, i'd say all around.
Great? Personally, I think about half of the sketches from each of PV's cases are PC keepers. The other half are 'just okay' at best, with a few of them being total disappointments. Duplicate 1/1 sketch card art is just unacceptable. And even if you are a fan of Little House (I'm sure they are out there, lots of different taste preferences in this world), you can't possibly be happy with pulling one of his (her?) cards out of a box when you know you could buy one on eBay for $5.

At the $60ish price point, I think you get your money's worth on a case break from what I've seen so far. Looks like busting a box or two is a coin flip, at best.

Thanks for sharing PitViper. I know you are a big MA fan, so I hope you are enjoying this release.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

@Alvin,

Thanks for the quick reply. It's obvious you are very passionate about the release, and it's great to have an insider respond so quickly (I still don't know your role but should!).

Still very much looking forward to my case (might be 2 now), and will post results on here Weds or Thurs when they land in the UK.

Rich
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Thanks for sharing PitViper. I know you are a big MA fan, so I hope you are enjoying this release.
Thanks! I think the value is definitely there – Just not in the sketches. I’m probably only going to hang on to a couple this time around, and go after the bulk of the set stuff (minus maybe the gold extra gore cards).

I’m very happy over all – just feel like the sketch card concept is really being run into the ground. Even some of the better known artist are jacking up their AP prices for this release. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

(and any case break that doesn't contain a stencil card is a partial victory in and of itself )

Last edited by PitViper; 10-26-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks! I think the value is definitely there – Just not in the sketches. I’m probably only going to hang on to a couple this time around, and go after the bulk of the set stuff (minus maybe the gold extra gore cards).

I’m very happy over all – just feel like the sketch card concept is really being run into the ground. Even some of the better known artist are jacking up their AP prices for this release. Gotta draw the line somewhere.
What did you think of that third sketch card, there? The one with the Martian running at you?
Old 10-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
What did you think of that third sketch card, there? The one with the Martian running at you?
Definately one of the better ones
Old 10-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Definately one of the better ones
lol. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
And even if you are a fan of Little House (I'm sure they are out there, lots of different taste preferences in this world), you can't possibly be happy with pulling one of his (her?) cards out of a box when you know you could buy one on eBay for $5.
"OH SWEET ANOTHER LITTLE HOUSE CARD!" -said no one ever

Last edited by PitViper; 10-26-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:

... who is the artist for that one?
ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksam View Post
Adam Levine
Old 10-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksam View Post
You're talkin' to him!
Old 10-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
You're talkin' to him!
Are you also a Topps employee (sounds like you could be). If yes, or if you have contacts, can you find out what the SPs for the medallions, etc. might be?
sketchopolix is offline   Reply With Quote