Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > NON-SPORT BOX Breaks

NON-SPORT BOX Breaks Post your Non-Sports Box & Case Breaks Here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tai

Default Garbage Pail Kids Flashback 1 Box break

For those of you interested in this type of stuff. I purchased 1 box from my LCS for the going rate of $75 or $80 out the door. No hits in my box so you can guess I'm a bit disappointed. Given how difficult it is to pull something decent I don't quite get the price jump. There was not a single numbered insert in the box so it felt a bit like a retail break and it should be noted that the hobby boxes don't have the Topps "Hobby" logo like most of their hobby products. Since that is the case if you find any retail product you should try it out since the odds are probably the same and it might be a bit cheaper as well.
On to the break: Each pack contains 10 cards where the base set is split into a and b just like the older sets. Each pack had 5 a's, 1 Parallel or insert, and 4 b's. I am going to sort and see if I can make a set(I hope after spending $80 I can make at least 1 base set). The box had 3 lenticular cards which are some of the nicer lenticular cards I have seen in a while. The motion on the cards is very smooth. The inserts fell like this: 8 Pinks, 4 Silver, and 12 Greens. At the current price I don't think I can do anything to complete the parallel sets.
Final thoughts: If you are a fan of the series I would say maybe just buy a base set on ebay. If you want to chase the parallels I would say you should check out the retail product if you can find it cheaper than hobby. For $80 there are a lot more products that give better value for the money you spend. The product breaks like a retail product so it's needle in a haystack to hit anything worth your time.
Update: I couldn't load my pics. While I was waiting to upload I tried to make a single base set and couldn't. I am missing 4 base cards in my B set. I will need to try my luck with retail to finish this up. Not too happy with this break.
Attached Thumbnails
Garbage Pail Kids Flashback 1 Box break-gpk-flashback.odds.jpg  

Last edited by Tai; 03-06-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have been addicted to these boxes I have only opened 3 and pulled 2 gold parallels, no sketch or printing plates though but they are fun to open I was getting these at $50-60 a pop now they are at $75 and I will probably not touch them again

Photobucket:
http://s985.photobucket.com/user/Matts_cardz/library/?sort=3&page=1
matts_cardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tai

At a lesser price I think I could justify buying these but at the higher price I feel the same. I knew the odds of getting a sketch before I took the plunge but not even getting 1 base set per box is disappointing. It feels too uneven to have just a bunch a random stickers. I will be hunting the retail boxes though. I haven't seen the box odds for retail but I have a suspicion that the odds are similar to hobby. It might be worth it to hoard some retail product but the only problem is most Target's I've been to only have open boxes. Even worse is I read on another forum that someone was thinking of buying "hot packs" of GPK flashback meaning I have to beat the pack searchers to have a chance at anything good. Probably not worth the trouble so I'll just finish my set and be done with it.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

if they do blaster boxes of it that would be cool...I averaged 1 set per box with my boxes

Photobucket:
http://s985.photobucket.com/user/Matts_cardz/library/?sort=3&page=1
matts_cardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

odds of the retail boxes having sketches are probally slim to nill ... it is topps after all
natbornkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JonDailey1982 Send a message via Yahoo to JonDailey1982 Send a message via Skype™ to JonDailey1982

FYI guys...as a hobby shop owner these things arent much cheaper for me to buy now than you guys (obviously you probably know that as BO prices are close anyway). But honestly, I went by walmart last night and they had some. I picked up a couple packs for my wife as she likes them and I didnt order any for the shop and now to your guys point, they are too high. looking at your pack post above, either walmart had hobby packs or the odds are the exact same...
Old 03-13-2010, 11:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natbornkiller View Post
odds of the retail boxes having sketches are probally slim to nill ... it is topps after all
Those odds he posted are the same as those in retail.

If you want to buy this, buy the retail. Same odds and hey, it will only cost $48 for the box of 24 packs.
vwnut13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

My LCS has one hobby box left for $48...thinking about buying it and flipping for a quick $15-20 profit.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tai

No reason not to buy that box if people are still paying a premium for hobby. Retail appears to be exactly the same with blasters offering sketch cards, print plates, etc. so there is no reason for hobby to maintain a pricing advantage over retail. If I actually find a Walmart in my area I will pick up a few boxes to keep unopened. Just my opinion but this is a perfect product to hold: No redemptions.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai View Post
For those of you interested in this type of stuff. I purchased 1 box from my LCS for the going rate of $75 or $80 out the door. No hits in my box so you can guess I'm a bit disappointed. Given how difficult it is to pull something decent I don't quite get the price jump. There was not a single numbered insert in the box so it felt a bit like a retail break and it should be noted that the hobby boxes don't have the Topps "Hobby" logo like most of their hobby products. Since that is the case if you find any retail product you should try it out since the odds are probably the same and it might be a bit cheaper as well.
On to the break: Each pack contains 10 cards where the base set is split into a and b just like the older sets. Each pack had 5 a's, 1 Parallel or insert, and 4 b's. I am going to sort and see if I can make a set(I hope after spending $80 I can make at least 1 base set). The box had 3 lenticular cards which are some of the nicer lenticular cards I have seen in a while. The motion on the cards is very smooth. The inserts fell like this: 8 Pinks, 4 Silver, and 12 Greens. At the current price I don't think I can do anything to complete the parallel sets.
Final thoughts: If you are a fan of the series I would say maybe just buy a base set on ebay. If you want to chase the parallels I would say you should check out the retail product if you can find it cheaper than hobby. For $80 there are a lot more products that give better value for the money you spend. The product breaks like a retail product so it's needle in a haystack to hit anything worth your time.
Update: I couldn't load my pics. While I was waiting to upload I tried to make a single base set and couldn't. I am missing 4 base cards in my B set. I will need to try my luck with retail to finish this up. Not too happy with this break.

i just noticed this. how do i know i have a hobby box ?
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tai

No clue. I noticed that the box I got(at my hobby shop) did not have the "Hobby-H" on the box or label. Combined with the odds being the same hobby & retail I don't think there is a way to tell unless your dealer purchased either a 16 box retail case or an 8 box hobby case and shares this information.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

I love garbage pail kids, they are pretty cool........