Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > NON-SPORT BOX Breaks

NON-SPORT BOX Breaks Post your Non-Sports Box & Case Breaks Here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2013 Benchwarmer Holiday - a box break and a review

Hello all!

UPDATE - Just thought I'd put this out there for other BW fans - The Miki Black base I received had a small surface defect (the small white mark directly above the top of her panties). It was a bummer, but the base are beautiful so I didn't let it kill me. Anyway, I hit ebay to pick up Holiday base cards of my PC girls and a few other models I like. I've purchased a total of 6 cards thus far. All of them have similar surface issues to varying degrees. Nothing terrible, but always noticeable - mostly small dings and all appearing in the middle portion of the card. The fact that all of the ones I purchased - as well as the one I pulled - have these issues, leads me to believe this is a factory issue, not damage done after they were pulled.

Anyone else pulled/purchased base with these issues?

I broke 1 box of 2013 Benchwarmer Holiday from my LCS and thought I'd post pictures as well as a small review.

The sell sheet promises 9 autographed cards plus one base card. I received a total of 12 cards, including a Jennifer Walcott 2013 National base autograph. This was a good box if you are a A) Nikki Ziering fan (I am) and B) you like "first-and-last" numbered cards (of which I kind of am) as I pulled a 10/10, a 5/5 and a 2/2.

The box itself is the smaller style, as opposed to last year's tall and long box. Its very attractive, red embossed metallic foil with a gold foil stamped logo on top. Other than stating "10 cards per box" on the front, there is no other information printed anywhere.

There are some odd inconsistencies in the design and quality of this release. The autographs are all dated 2014 except for the Suzanne Stokes, which is dated 2012. And while (most of) the autographed cards are copyrighted 2014, the base, Dec 25th and Mistletoe Kiss autograph cards are all copyrighted 2013. Not a big deal, but odd nonetheless. Also, the Suzanne Stokes (dated 2012) and the Kirsty Lingman (dated 2014) autographs have the same satin/matte finish as 2012 on the front, the rest of the autographs (2014) a have a high gloss finish. Throwing in the 2013 National card feels like an afterthought, as thought BW wanted to do the bonus "Airmail" autos again but didn't have time.

I suspect Suzanne Stokes was intended to be on the 2012 checklist and her cards were produced but didn't make it in the final 2012 product and were included here as a bonus. On nslists.com her cards are not listed on either 2012 or 2013's checklists, so I assume she is the 11th and 12th card along with the Walcott National.

I'm not sure how I feel about this product. Like 2013 Hot For Teacher, it is very similar in look and feel to its 2012 predecessor, giving me the initial impression of 'more of the same.' The base cards stand out, mainly because they have a similar dark, sensuous design to 2013 Gold, putting them at odds with the brighter, festive feel of the rest of the cards, which of course follow last year's design. Overall it is a typical fun Benchwarmer break if you are a collector or fan, but it feels rushed and incomplete.

Thoughts?

Here's the pics and thanks for reading.

bucket - http://s1069.photobucket.com/user/SquirrelyThings/library

Last edited by Super8er; 01-02-2014 at 12:51 PM. Reason: updated information
Super8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Nice break, but as someone who busted 5 or so cases of 2012 Holiday, I haven't even done a box of this, mainly because of the 'more of the same' part. It looks too close to the same exact design as last year, however the red background does look great. Sadly I think BW is pushing out products too quickly now, and they are just replicating prior releases with minor changes.

All that being said, can you PM me a price on the Selby? I might have some Taylor/Korbin/Hammer to trade but I'd have to look.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

I bought a box of it myself wasn't too big on it and won't be purchasing anymore for the same reason it just seems that all of the vet models have the same images for the most part the only thing new is the rookies, which rookies is always a plus but most of us have collections of the vets and want to see new cards from them. Same thing with the hobby the one thing that drove me to purchase the hobby product is the short print inserts and another chance to get the lingerie swatch autos which is pretty much all the new treasure chest product is going to offer, another opportunity to get the big cards from past products. I hope benchwarmer steps up their game with new products in terms of offering different images and design to cards otherwise they will lose alot of interest. I had a much better time and luck opening the older product recently and it's something you really can't go wrong with at the price point and the remaining potential in the boxes which is definently there!
harbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

too many products in a short time for me. I'm about broke and have not bought one box of any of the new cards, I been buying singles.....
Old 12-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblades_17 View Post
too many products in a short time for me. I'm about broke and have not bought one box of any of the new cards, I been buying singles.....
I hear you. I wasn't planning on buying any Holiday other than singles. My LCS ordered 1 box, so I gave in, mainly because I still enjoy breaking boxes. If I didn't have the extra cash, no way would I have broken this.

My box was good, but like everyone has been saying, more of the same. And that goes for Hot For Teacher and Vegas as well.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystafet View Post
Nice break, but as someone who busted 5 or so cases of 2012 Holiday, I haven't even done a box of this, mainly because of the 'more of the same' part. It looks too close to the same exact design as last year, however the red background does look great. Sadly I think BW is pushing out products too quickly now, and they are just replicating prior releases with minor changes.

All that being said, can you PM me a price on the Selby? I might have some Taylor/Korbin/Hammer to trade but I'd have to look.
My thoughts exactly on holiday this year. I focused mostly on singles. I however am glad there are no airmail autos. I don't think we need to have two parallel sets of base autos. I hope benchwarmer has some creative juice left. Booklets would be amazing
Old 12-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default More Product

Hi Board,

Just received info on a NEW/OLD product called Benchwarmer Treasure Chest. All high end buybacks and cards that never made it into sets.. Due out in late January. Looks great..... I was wondering why Brian Wallos was buying up some of my cards.. only 99 cases of this.
eshegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Updated the original post with new information/observations.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshegg View Post
Hi Board,

Just received info on a NEW/OLD product called Benchwarmer Treasure Chest. All high end buybacks and cards that never made it into sets.. Due out in late January. Looks great..... I was wondering why Brian Wallos was buying up some of my cards.. only 99 cases of this.
i'm sure brian wallos has bought cards from all of us. i know he's bought a few of mine.