Blowout Cards Forums
slice dice

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2016, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First Buzz: 2016 Topps Doctor Who Extraterrestrial Encounters trading cards

First Buzz: 2016 Topps Doctor Who Extraterrestrial Encounters cards >>> BlowoutBuzz.com #collect

Last edited by BlowoutBuzz; 07-09-2016 at 01:03 PM.
BlowoutBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Another Doctor Who Set Already? Wow
Old 06-24-2016, 03:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Coming soon from Topps... Chrome Dr. Star Walking Who Wars
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGhostbuster View Post
Another Doctor Who Set Already? Wow
That was my exact same thought.
boadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

They really need to add Matt Smith and Karen Gillan at this point to give this set some oomph over the last set.
Dewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

I wonder how many autograph stickers from the last set were held for this set.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

So they added one book card....the rest is basically the same.

Suck it, Topps!
oldgoldy97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

First Buzz: 2016 Topps Doctor Who Extraterrestrial Encounters cards-corden-auto.jpg
James Corden autograph card released.
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Had that on the Buzz yesterday ... https://blowoutbuzz.wordpress.com/20...et-from-topps/

Old 07-08-2016, 11:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoldy97 View Post
So they added one book card....the rest is basically the same.

Suck it, Topps!

Magickyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #11 (permalink)

Is anyone breaking this? It's been out two days now, and there are minimal auctions up on eBay, and there's only one 4 box break here.
jade2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:37 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade2013 View Post
Is anyone breaking this? It's been out two days now, and there are minimal auctions up on eBay, and there's only one 4 box break here.
I was offered 2 cases but with the way the previous 8 days had gone with Topps Entertainment I had to pass. Your right though there doesnt seem to be much busted yet.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post
I was offered 2 cases but with the way the previous 8 days had gone with Topps Entertainment I had to pass. Your right though there doesnt seem to be much busted yet.
This x2. My faith has also been shaken...
daviswr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'd love to get some, as I'm a big DW fan, and have only gotten a couple packs of the past sets. But with the way Tops sets have gone, I'm very reluctant. The one reason I'd consider this over the previous DW sets is this actually guarantees 1 auto per box.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Zeldafanatic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magickyak View Post
I missed this post. Nice
oldgoldy97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:04 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerg30 View Post
Here are the odds from the hobby wrapper. Doesn't look like any printing plates are included. You do get 1-2 autos #/10 and 1 auto #/5 per case though.

Based on pack odds posted over on the box breaks section, there were about 300 cases of this made. ~16 total dual autos, ~10 total triple autos, and ~4 quad books. No printing plates.

Still very few auctions up, and almost no one is buying. I have a feeling it's going to be very difficult for me to get the parallels I need for my character collections.

This could be the last Dr. Who set.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

Set looks nice and the cases are probably loaded.
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujobyte View Post
Set looks nice and the cases are probably loaded.
The cases are loaded.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:29 PM   #19 (permalink)

I have just started receiving my base and parallel purchases the last few days. I'm very disappointed in the card quality so far. The cards seem to be cheaper material, a more matte finish compared to the glossy of previous sets, and no foil stamping except for the serial numbers. The parallels are just different colors rather than different foils. Add to that no printing plates, and it seems like Topps went as cheaply as possible on this set.

Still not more than a couple of breakers posting cards on eBay. Prices seem pretty depressed too. Anyone with numbered parallels available please let me know. I'm looking for 12th Doctor and/or Clara cards.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:51 PM   #20 (permalink)

That's a shame, this has been the only DW set so far that interested me, mainly since 1 auto per box is guaranteed.
I did get some DW Timless blasters from the Topps sale and was surprised how much I like the set. Isn't the color parallels what they've been doing so far for each set?

Old 11-21-2016, 04:08 PM   #21 (permalink)

It's the same colors, essentially. 2015 had base, blue /199, purple /99, red /50, gold 1/1. Timeless had the same, except blue was /99, purple /50, red /25, and they added a green unnumbered parallel. ET Encounters has the same as Timeless with a yellow parallel swapped for the greens. However, 2015 and Timeless both were foil cards. The card title and some of the decoration were foil, so the parallels were just different colors of foil.

This time there is no foil, so the card decorations are just printed in different colors. It's not a huge deal per se (differently-colored parallels are what they are, after all), except that it just speaks to a general decrease in quality compared to previous sets. The parallels on the Timeless set especially really pop compared to the current set. Like most people I'd prefer some other form of parallel than just different colors, but the way Doctor Who is going it probably won't ever get a Chrome or High Tek set or anything like that.

I suppose if you hit a big auto, this set would be worth it. Most of the autos you can buy for less than the cost of the box, though, and of the new autos in the current set probably only Corden would reliably sell for more than that unless you hit a 1/1. Even with the 1/1 it would be iffy for a lot of the signers, and there are 72 different ones after all.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:45 PM   #22 (permalink)

Ok, now I get it. Wow, that is really lame. I don't see Topps continuing this license, which is quite sad. It didn't help that we were DW-less this year, and after the Christmas special next month, I have no idea when the next season airs.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:15 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade2013 View Post
I have just started receiving my base and parallel purchases the last few days. I'm very disappointed in the card quality so far. The cards seem to be cheaper material, a more matte finish compared to the glossy of previous sets, and no foil stamping except for the serial numbers. The parallels are just different colors rather than different foils. Add to that no printing plates, and it seems like Topps went as cheaply as possible on this set.

Still not more than a couple of breakers posting cards on eBay. Prices seem pretty depressed too. Anyone with numbered parallels available please let me know. I'm looking for 12th Doctor and/or Clara cards.
Well, I didn't even realize people bought base or parallel's of these sets. I think quite honestly Topps doesn't even care about the base or parallel's anymore, instead just trying to get as many signers etc.

Thing is, this set was supposed to have 600+ cases made and now with only 300 made, the cases are loaded meaning IF you are a collector, it's a great set to purchase. As a rip/flipper you'll probably come out even, or lose a little unless you hit a big card. Sounds like Carr did ok tho!!

Personally this is the first Dr.Who set that has even tempted to to try, considering an auto in each box.
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:28 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujobyte View Post
Well, I didn't even realize people bought base or parallel's of these sets.
I'm a character collector, so I do. I don't think many others do, based on sales.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #25 (permalink)

So is anyone else into these? I am trying to find fellow collectors. I am also considering buying a case and seeing if anyone can tell me how one has broken for an example? I've bought individual cases and haven't gotten anything amazing but I may also be buying "left overs" from people that cherry picked the good stuff from cases.
havok1891 is offline   Reply With Quote